Plugs and Covers

gitmo234

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
gitmo234
Anyone have any suggestions on where to get plugs and a cover (for the pitot tube) for the 172? I have a non-standard setup and I'm having trouble finding plugs that were made for them

Attachments

• IMG_1028.jpg
    IMG_1028.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 51
  • IMG_1029.jpg
    IMG_1029.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 46
  • IMG_1030.jpg
    IMG_1030.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 30
That cover is reasonable, but I've had water get into the tube after a rain and actually cause some bad readings. On a side note, I'm not 100% convinced I get 100% accurate readings any way. Seems like it needs some adjustment when I'm on takeoff roll. Normal take off airspeed is about 70mph, but I'm fighting to keep the thing on the ground at 60.

This is a 1956. I was actually incorrect. Your post made me double check some things. There are several pages that say "normal climb" is conducted at various speeds, but I cant seem to find a listed rotation speed. Best angle of climb is listed as 56-63mph.

Another note to that, it settles into the "normal climb" speed almost immediately and even then will sometimes climb at 1000 feet per minute, so it seems to have some power!

Anyone have any suggestions on where to get plugs and a cover (for the pitot tube) for the 172? I have a non-standard setup and I'm having trouble finding plugs that were made for them

Ace hardware stocks a reasonable selection of rubber stoppers. I'll bet you can find one to fit inside the pitot ... but glue a red flag on it so you don't forget to take it out.

As to the cowl plugs, bubble wrap?

Jim

You could also get some foam and cut them yourself, take them to the local upholstery guy and get them covered in whatever you like.

As for a pitot, on your setup I wouldn't bother, I've flown a ton of 7ECAs, 7ACs and PA18s with that same flapper door, it worked really well.

Those would probably work great in a ziplock back

That would work as long as you waited for the engine to cool down. You have to be careful with a synthetic sponge, but a plastic bag would be even worse.

I keep meaning to buy some Naugahide and make a simple pouch to cover them. Cut it twice as long, fold it over (good side in) set the two sides, turn it right side out, and push the sponge in the bag.

Jim

Interesting. I've never seen a split nose cowl on a Cessna before. As for the cowl plugs? Any shop that makes plugs could easily make yours if you made a template. Making each side one piece with no foam at the bridge would be simple. A local upholstery shop could do it, too. As for the pitot? I'd guess yours is more accurate than the typical heated pilot tucked under the wing. But I'd lobby my mechanic to convert it anyway. A Cessna with takeoff flaps set is hard to keep on the ground past 60. Even a taildragger with full forward pressure on the yoke will fly off at about 60.

Anyone have any suggestions on where to get plugs and a cover (for the pitot tube) for the 172?
You'll find more references to your style cowling if you look for 170 inlet plugs (vs 172s) ... Bruce's does have the 4 or 5 plug solution ... scroll down to the Plugs & Protection section: https://www.aircraftcovers.com/general-aviation-models/cessna/170

On a side note, I'm not 100% convinced I get 100% accurate readings any way.
The '64 172E I fly has the same unheated pitot tube. You may need to adjust the alignment. See attached pages from the Cessna service manual which includes an easy to use "template" you simply hold against the wing root. If that does not correct the issue you may have a leak in your static lines (or even the ASI).

Hope that helps!

Attachments

• Scan.pdf
    734.3 KB · Views: 10
Interesting. I've never seen a split nose cowl on a Cessna before.

AFAIK all straight tail 172s had them. I know mine did. Mine had almost as many rivets in it as Gitmo's does too!

I used a mesh cowl cover on mine that snapped on. Bought it from spruce or wag-aero or sportys or...? Can't find it online right now though.

Gitmo,

I still have one in my hangar toolbox that I'll send to you if you want it. I haven't used it in 10 years. It's a bit faded but otherwise fine...I think...I'll have to check it out.

Edit: here it is. I don't have the Bib.

Last edited:
Most airports have a box full of Pitot covers blown off take your choice.

LOTS of good info in this thread. Thanks to all who contributed

You'll find more references to your style cowling if you look for 170 inlet plugs (vs 172s) ... Bruce's does have the 4 or 5 plug solution ... scroll down to the Plugs & Protection section: https://www.aircraftcovers.com/general-aviation-models/cessna/170

The '64 172E I fly has the same unheated pitot tube. You may need to adjust the alignment. See attached pages from the Cessna service manual which includes an easy to use "template" you simply hold against the wing root. If that does not correct the issue you may have a leak in your static lines (or even the ASI).

Hope that helps!

Thanks again for this post. I used that doc and took a brief look today. It wasnt parallel with the wing. It was at a slight up angle. I made a minor adjustment but nothing scientific. I need to look more at it later when its my primary focus.

Back