Plugging intercom into camera/microphone

Ted

The pilot formerly known as Twin Engine Ted
Display Name

Display name:
iFlyNothing
I have a videographer traveling with me on a Cloud Nine trip this weekend to produce a video on what we do. He wants to be able to plug his camera into the intercom (phone portion) so he can record interviews in the plane. What is the technical nerdy term for the plug he needs in order to connect to a standard phone jack?

Depends on what plug is on his camera.

Most of the time, a 1/4" stereo (or mono, depending on your airplane) to 1/8" mono will work fine. Often since the intercom is meant to drive a speaker and is not a Line level output, a 20dB attenuator is a good idea between the intercom and the audio device.

Some places make pre-made 20dB attenuation cables for the purpose. This one, available at Aircraft Spruce, also has a "Y" in it to allow the continued use of that headset jack for a headset, if you don't have a 4-place intercom or somewhere to plug the camera in that's not already in use by a headset.

http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/avpages/recordingCable.php

Another option ...

If he has the tiny clip-on mic, just stuff it into the headset ear up. Works like a champ and no troubles sorting out correct audio levels.

Another option ...

If he has the tiny clip-on mic, just stuff it into the headset ear up. Works like a champ and no troubles sorting out correct audio levels.

:yeahthat:

We flew a TV crew from Honolulu who were taping a segment on some green sea turtles which had been rehabilitated from net entanglement and were being returned to Kure Is. The camera guy had done the above technique before and used it on this flight. Worked fine.

I have a videographer traveling with me on a Cloud Nine trip this weekend to produce a video on what we do. He wants to be able to plug his camera into the intercom (phone portion) so he can record interviews in the plane. What is the technical nerdy term for the plug he needs in order to connect to a standard phone jack?

Skip the whole jack thing and have him plug a small condenser mic in the camera and stick it under someone ear cup or plug in a headset in the rear seat area and stick the mic between the two ear cups of a headset and rubber band the earcups closed on each other with the mic inside.

This way you even get a little engine hum and slipstream sound to add realism.

Gene

Question... does it only record the audio from one headset, or everything plugged into the intercom?

(In other words, is it sending mic audio, or speaker audio to the App?)

I meant to go ask that at OSH, but forgot.

from the link:

"FlightLink enables a pilot to record all activity over the intercom including in-bound and out-bound transmissions as well as in-cabin conversation"

Not sure if it will capture bluetooth music, but it will get all conversations.

However not all Zulu.2's work. Just the ones manufactured in the last 5-6 months.

from the link:

"FlightLink enables a pilot to record all activity over the intercom including in-bound and out-bound transmissions as well as in-cabin conversation"

Not sure if it will capture bluetooth music, but it will get all conversations.

However not all Zulu.2's work. Just the ones manufactured in the last 5-6 months.

The Zulu.2 app works over a cable connected between the headset and the iPad, not over BlueTooth. You may as well hack together a $18 RadioShack cable and plug it into the camera directly. If you want to record to your iPhone/iPad, you can do that with a cable from Sporty's that is a 4-conductor 1/8" plug on the iPhone end.

If you have Zulu.2's manufactured before the current ones (older than 6mo or so as noted above), the retrofit cost is $70 for the upgrade. Not really worth it. If you have original Zulu's, you're out in the cold.

Radio Shack parts for a direct to camera cable:
6.5-Ft. Attenuating Dubbing Cord with 1/8" Phone Plugs
1/8" Stereo Jack to 1/4" Stereo Plug Headphone Adapter
Gold-Plated 1/4" Stereo Headphone Plug Adapter (only needed if you're maxed out on intercom jacks)

I've used this cord with my GoPro on several flights and been quite pleased with it.

Another option ...

I've listened to quite a few aviation podcasts, including the several student-oriented ones, over the past few months. One of the things that I've noticed is that when they play in-cockpit audio, I tend to prefer when they use the mic-in-the-earcup method. You get the (muted) background noise of the engine and slipstream that way, and it sounds more realistic and is more interesting to listen to.

The Zulu.2 app works over a cable connected between the headset and the iPad, not over BlueTooth.

Correct. This is why I said BlueTooth music (as you would not be able to play music from the iPhone using the jack, because it is running the app and plugged into the jack).

Someone could have another phone in the plane with BlueTooth, and stream music to the headsets while you recorded audio. I am just not sure if that music would come through or not.

However, I like your solution better.

Back