Please recommend an AME in SoCal

• Thread starter UnregisteredFromSoCal
  • Start date
U

UnregisteredFromSoCal

[request below also posted on the AOPA medical forum]

Hi,

I'm the lucky winner of a medical condition that will require a Special Issuance for my future student pilot certificate.

I've been reading about the SI process and now understand, to some extent, how convoluted it is. I also have an idea that, among other people, the AME plays an important part throughout the process in a number of ways.

Can anyone please recommend an AME in Southern California for the SI process?

(Unfortunately for the moment I am unable to travel and so cannot take advantage of Dr. Bruce's expertise)

Any AME recommendations will be much appreciated. I so look forward to getting my rear off the ground and start the PPL training.

Thank you.

[request below also posted on the AOPA medical forum]

Hi,

I'm the lucky winner of a medical condition that will require a Special Issuance for my future student pilot certificate.

I've been reading about the SI process and now understand, to some extent, how convoluted it is. I also have an idea that, among other people, the AME plays an important part throughout the process in a number of ways.

Can anyone please recommend an AME in Southern California for the SI process?

(Unfortunately for the moment I am unable to travel and so cannot take advantage of Dr. Bruce's expertise)

Any AME recommendations will be much appreciated. I so look forward to getting my rear off the ground and start the PPL training.

Thank you.
Where in SoCal?

I use Dr Donald Vance in Bonita (San Diego area - (619) 479-9325). I don't have any SI issues, but I'd definitely recommend him if you are in the San Diego area. If you are closer to LA, I'm sure there are some good AME's familiar with the SI process that some folks might be able to recommend.

Where in SoCal?

I use Dr Donald Vance in Bonita (San Diego area - (619) 479-9325). I don't have any SI issues, but I'd definitely recommend him if you are in the San Diego area. If you are closer to LA, I'm sure there are some good AME's familiar with the SI process that some folks might be able to recommend.

Thank you for the info Fearless - I appreciate it. Im located not far from the Chino, Corona and Riverside airports. Before going to the nearest AME i considered asking other pilots' opinion. I'm also guessing that it might be of some advantage with the SI if I go to an AME that is also a pilot - but that may not necessarily be true.

I'll wait and see if anyone chimes with other recommendations and then decide. Thank you again.

Thank you for the info Fearless - I appreciate it. Im located not far from the Chino, Corona and Riverside airports. Before going to the nearest AME i considered asking other pilots' opinion. I'm also guessing that it might be of some advantage with the SI if I go to an AME that is also a pilot - but that may not necessarily be true.

I'll wait and see if anyone chimes with other recommendations and then decide. Thank you again.

We used to have two awesome AMEs in the area -- Doc Roberts in Diamond Bar, and Doc Gilbert at Riverside.

Roberts moved away recently, and Gilbert died. We're in sort of a limbo at the moment -- not that there are no AMEs, just no reports about who deals with challenges well. I used to refer folks to Roberts exclusively, and I used him myself.

Some new guys that are coming out are pitching themselves as "pilot AMEs", but we have no real word on difficult cases and how they were handled. One is pitching pretty hard -- Dobrowski -- if you're ever at KAJO, we have his flyers at the front desk.

All of my pilot friends who are looking for that "easy" medical all go to a chick in Sherman Oaks.

Sorry I'm not much more help. :/ I'd say interview a few and see who tickles your fancy. You could probably hire Doc Bruce to "guide" them, no?

$0.02

- Mike

Unreg, one of the things I do is prepare files that will pass. Usually the agency likes it better, when the preparer also issues the certificate (you get processed within ten days).

You should probably have someone guide the preparation, because if you get denied, you can't even fly a light sport aircraft. There is a lot at stake.

Other AMEs can do this, for sure. Many have NEVER done it. Some do it every day. The way to approach this, is NOT to bomb on into an AME office. It's to go for a consultation, touch NO paperwork, bring your records.

Unreg, one of the things I do is prepare files that will pass. Usually the agency likes it better, when the preparer also issues the certificate (you get processed within ten days).

You should probably have someone guide the preparation, because if you get denied, you can't even fly a light sport aircraft. There is a lot at stake.

Other AMEs can do this, for sure. Many have NEVER done it. Some do it every day. The way to approach this, is NOT to bomb on into an AME office. It's to go for a consultation, touch NO paperwork, bring your records.

@Everyone - thank you for your advice and recommandations, will take them all into consideration. This might take some time but my future post will be an update - I'm curious what the result will be.

@Dr. Bruce - you're omnipresent ;) ! I will send you an email.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back