Please help family of deceased pilot

MSmith

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
Mark Smith
I've been talking here and a few other places about a fatal crash involving members of the flying club that I belong to.

Today, I received an e-mail from a family member of one of the pilots, asking for assistance in handling the investigation (what to press the FAA on, what questions to ask, etc).

If you can help, please contact me. I'd rather not publish the family's e-mail online. I'll put you in touch with them.

Thank you.

Mark,

Perhaps the family should contact an attorny knowledgable in the ways of the FAA and NTSB.

I don't know if the AOPA legal assistance plan remains in effect after death but perhaps that would be an avenue to explore to help with costs.

Len

AFIK, the NTSB would be doing the investigation. I'm not sure they would welcome any involvement unless the family had information to offer.

The investigation is usually assigned to one person. They should be able to get that person's name and phone number and ask them what they know. (I have done this) The investigator will probably only tell them facts that are already known, but as things arise they should get updates. My guess is the final interpretation and report may take over a year. They are not too quick to make the final determination.
It is a tragic situation for the families and friends - and a difficult thing for the IIC to discuss things like this with (understandably) emotional people who knew the pilot/pax. (Especially when you know how many turn out to be 'pilot error'. )
My opinion is that there really is no arm-twisting to be done with the ntsb folks. I firmly believe they do thorough investigations and have the same goal in mind as family and friends that were left behind. (Of course someone may point out this specific example or that one where they missed the cause... but I think that is the exception.) If you know something is really being left out - I would then pursue it, first with the ntsb.
Good luck to them, and our condolences.

It's not clear what the family is asking, because they don't "handle" the investigation -- the NTSB does, unless they delegate it to the local FAA FSDO (which is what usually happens with low-profile light GA accidents, even fatals). From a safety perspective, the investigation is best aided if the family cooperates with any requests from the investigator, usually for logbooks and other paperwork which they might have, or any information they have about the 48-hour history of the pilot (eating, sleeping, etc). Any effort to withhold documents could backfire if there is a civil action later as it is a crime to conceal evidence. Beyond that, it's up to the investigating agency.

Now, if the family wants, they could mount there own independent investigation by hiring a safety investigator and/or an aviation attorney, but that is not often done by agents for the accident pilot (or his estate) unless there is a lawsuit filed as a result of the accident.

Back