Please don't let this be the future of air travel.

That may be the future of air travel for the masses,
but it just makes my little ole Cessna 172 seem luxurious; and no additional baggage charges. And I can forego those little liquor bottles until I get where I am going, and then have a big one.

My favorite comment from the article: "I'm sure hell is just a flight with those seats that never reaches its destination."

They could save even more $$ and pack more people in if they just put up vertical panels with about 3 rows of seatbelts to hold the standing pax in place.

They could save even more $$ and pack more people in if they just put up vertical panels with about 3 rows of seatbelts to hold the standing pax in place.
I was thinking coffins. A little knock-out gas and think how dense seating could be.

I'm soooooooooo happy that I can fly myself to most of the destinations I need to go too. Those seats are pathetic and it's embarrassing that air carriers would realistically contemplate them. I bet Southwest doesn't!

The airlines already have trouble with "biggie-sized" pax... I would love to know how they plan on stuffing Bubba and Bobbi-Rae , 300 and 250lbs. respectively, into those seats when they travel to vacation in Branson.
You can't exactly make the heavies buy two adjoining seats and have them straddle both.
For the rest of us not-quite-so-obese, the seats would just be an incredible annoyance.
Maybe they will be implemented and we'll see a viable air-taxi service boom.

I was thinking coffins. A little knock-out gas and think how dense seating could be.

I was giving them the benefit of at least being awake.

My first thought was human shipping crates. Knock them out, stuff them in a body size box plus a few inches and load them onto pallets and stuff them in the plane. Pack them in nose to tail floor to ceiling except for the flight deck.

..and you just KNOW that some bean counter somewhere is trying to figure out how to pull that off due to the profitability margins involved...

Those look like folding chairs.

Passenger seats are designed to withstand at least 16 g of forward force, in case of a gear-up landing. I think it's 16 g nowadays, anyway.

If you look at the frame of an airline seat, it is very substantial, with a big triangular shape designed to withstand lots of forward force.

The frame of the seats in that photo couldn't take anything like 16 g's -- in fact, they look like they'd tip over if you just blew on them.

Passenger seats are designed to withstand at least 16 g of forward force, in case of a gear-up landing. I think it's 16 g nowadays, anyway.

Wouldn't a gear up be more vertical impulse force than forward? Those may or may not handle 16g of deceleration however I'm quite sure I don't want to know about their vertical support of the person sitting in them during a hard landing.

Those are sort of high quality comfortable motorcycle seats without the full support or seat rise out the front and with a very bad leg angle for supporting yourself vertically.
I don't know about you however once, precisely once and not twice, I was stupid enough to have my butt fully planted on a motorcycle seat when both wheels contacted the ground again after a short distance in the air. I will NOT be repeating that experience due to the way it tried to catapult me off the seat so violently. That's nothing compared to dropping a plane in hard with essentially no seat suspension. Add in a forward deceleration at that same time, the generic persons bad posture while sitting on a motorcycle type seat plus loose seat belts and there's going to be a lot of hurt people. You won't be getting me in one of those seats no matter what the designers propaganda paperwork says about them.

Besides, the first time there is a 4-6 hour taxiway hold due to weather with a no one gets out of their seats rule in place and there's going to be a full blown mutiny on the crew's hands. Any tsa or security type trying to keep order is going to justifiably get keel hauled until dead by the passengers.

Wouldn't a gear up be more vertical impulse force than forward? Those may or may not handle 16g of deceleration

16g for a 250 pound passenger would be two tons of forward force. No way would those seats withstand such a force.

The g-loading regulations are based on crash tests, circa 1950. This led to ratings of 9 G forward, 2 G upward, 4.5 G downward, and 1.5 G sideward. The 9 G forward rating was later upgraded to 16 G for passenger seats, but not cargo.

Some things about the ratings and the crash tests aren't very clear, like whether the crashes were attempting to simulate a gear-up landing or something more violent. It is pretty clear that the aircraft speeds were about what you would expect for a landing, though.

Here's some info:

16G seats in airliners:
http://aviationglossary.com/airline-definition/16g-seats/

The history of the ratings (with some interesting comments about how nobody knows exactly where some of them came from, and whether they are all that reliable):
http://www.dtic.mil/cgi-bin/GetTRDoc?Location=U2&doc=GetTRDoc.pdf&AD=ADA055343

excerpts from the latter:

The Civil Air Regulations, Part 4a, "Air Plane Airworthiness", 7 April 1950,
required seats be installed to withstand 6Gs and the only reference to cargo
stated "suitable means shall be provided to prevent the contents of mail and
baggage compartments from shifting." Therefore no real criteria existed. By
1953 this document had undergone a major change. The seat criteria was chang-
ed to:
Upward 2.OG Downward 4.5G
Forward 9.OG Sideward 1.5G

... We now enter a new phase, that of crash testing aircraft to determine
the physics of a crash. It appears that the first crash tests related to
crash dynamics occurred in 1953. ...
The next effort is a study entitled "Seat Design for Crash Worthiness".
This report provides an in-depth review of aircraft seat design relative to
human survival and aircraft crashes. An interesting part of this report is
a discussion of longitudinal deceleration of transport (C-46) and cargo (C-82)
aircraft. This data most probably was developed as part of the fire tests con-
ducted in 1949 as discussed in this section as no other crash tests had been
conducted since those tests....
The aircraft seats are the structural links between the passengers and
crew anJ fuselage floor. If a person were fastened rigidly to the seat and
the seat rigidly to the floor, then the person, seat, floor and aircraft
would move as a unit. However, this is not the case. The person is in
reality a free moving body within the restraint system of the seat. Further,
the seat is made of flexible members with some movement above the floor. The
actual condition of the events are best explained by the model developed for
the study which is quoted in Appendix C. Basically the human would undergo a
deceleration after the aircraft deceleration when he impacts his restraint.
"The peak passenger deceleration can be nearly 1.8 times the peak airplane
deceleration". The more rigidly the person is fastened into the seat the low-
er this ratio. The reason for this ratio is dynamic overshoot of the person
against the seat restraint resulting in an increasing delta velocity as the
aircraft stops and the person continues forward until he impacts his restraint.
This raises the question of relationship between fixed equipment, cargo and
the seat in the aircraft. This could be the reason behind a 9G cargo system
and 16G seat system (9 X 1.8 = '16.2)

Last edited:
I'm gonna put these in the Cherokee 6 and turn it into a Cherokee 12.

~~~~~ bet they can arrange that... for yet an extra fee

They could also charge a fee to not have it do that and guarantee a profit margin regardless of what you want.

Back