Please critique my fanny pack signal kit (survival, emergency)

danpass

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
danpass
I was this >< close to buying a Reddington mesh fishing vest (see pic below) at Bass Pro this weekend when I decided that perhaps a fanny pack carried hipside would be more practical.

First, the thought process: A 'be-found-within-4-hours-in-the-south-florida-bahamas-areas-and-surrounding-waters-and-I-would-actually-bother-to-wear-it-since-it-is-unobtrusive-and-lets-me-wear-a-life-preserver-and-seat-belt-setup' kit.
I'd recently read that if it's on you it is survival gear. If it's not on you then it's just luggage lol.

I think that sums up this particular kit.

1. Fanny pack.
  2. One PLB
  3. One Pencil flare kit
  4. One Smoke / flare signal. A mk124 would be nice if I could find them
  5. One ACR flat strobe
  6. One Signal mirror
  7. Two Datrex water pouches
  8. A couple of sunscreen pouches
  9. One Button light
  10. One AAA flashlight
  11. One micro FAK. You know ....... a band-aid.
Everything would be tethered to the fanny pack.

I figure this is as much as will fit in the fanny pack. Any larger would mean a vest. A full survival kit would definitely mean a vest. For a knife, some powerbars, maybe a radio like my Icom IC-A6 since the PRCs are near impossible to find batteries for.

So very nearly 'strictly' a signal kit. I'd like to put in a fixed blade knife (as it would really be more of a pry bar if needed) but not sure where that would go. Perhaps lengthwise on the belt ....

Would I strap this on if going thru Alaska? Sure. I'd throw it into one of my survival vest pockets next to the kerosene heater, packets of filet mignon, etc.

Vest LINK

Link to survival vest review.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VnlOFoz9Jdk

This is where I got many of my ideas. It's actually four parts since he is cursed with the gift of gab (and he really goes full retard on the flashlight, so just fast forward there lol) but overall a good rundown of a USAF pilot vest.

Last edited:
I'd probably want more drinking water with me. Those water pouches are only like 125ml each, right?

Definately add a knife doesn't have to be huge. Space blankets in case you spend a night out also to rig something to hide from the sun under. Bug spray or netting might be a good idea as well.

I use a vest and would think that a fanny pack would be kind of bulky but your'e right, it would be difficult or impossible to wear a flotation device with a vest. Your contents are similar to mine but I have a Leatherman Multi-tool, handheld VHF, whistle, magnesium fire starter and a spare pair of eyeglasses. You really have to restrain yourself from going overboard. If it ends up heavy chances are you won't be wearing the thing.

I'd probably want more drinking water with me. Those water pouches are only like 125ml each, right?

The water is heavy and for something like this you have to think more along the lines of getting found rather than surviving a lengthy stay. The actual survival gear can be in the airplane, water included, this is just bare essentials that you want on your person in case you have to get out immediately and everything on the aircraft were to be lost.

It's a 4 hr kit, you don't start drinking water for 24hrs. Personally I'd want more smoke and flares and a dye marker. The PLB will have someone heading his way in a few minutes, and since he's got a chance of being in the water, the key is to being seen, dye markers, smoke and flares are great for that and if you want an extra electronic goodie, get a SART.

I'd recommend you look into the following additions: (not in order)
- Knife
- Morphine
- Something that would help you stay awake at night if need be. Caffeine pills, energy drinks ect...
- A warm blanket. Ex: http://www.bestglide.com/Emergency_Blanket_Info.html
- Matches. Ex: http://www.bestglide.com/Lifeboat_Matches_Info.html
- More Water
- Water purification system or liquid, also make sure you have a place to put to water in order to purify it. Ex: http://www.bestglide.com/aquamira_water_purification_drops.html

I don't have a PLB but I do carry a radio (VXA710), it you don't mind paying extra it might be a good idea.

Last edited:
yes, and me too. Just not sure 3-4 will fit as I don't have any on hand to size.

Water purification straw or bottle would solve the H2O problem. UV ones look nice, but use batteries.

If you wear contacts or eyeglasses I can't stress enough about having spare eyeglasses on your body with you somewhere.

People who carry survival kits while wearing clothes that wouldn't keep them alive for more than 24 hours or even 24 seconds bother me too.

Water purification straw or bottle would solve the H2O problem. UV ones look nice, but use batteries.

Not if you have bilateral tib/fib or foot fractures which in any kind of forward impact above stall speed in a spamcan will be more than just possible. I like the water packs myself at least they are on you and easily reachable. Best to have both :)

None of that stuff works for salt water though, but there are more expensive ones that do although the effort required per unit of water is high. There is the 'solar still' ball that may keep you from dying.

Again, this is just an on-person list of items and is not meant to be a survival kit. All of the other stuff can be carried in the aircraft but the vest or Fannie pack is meant to be ultra light and non encumbering. Something you won't mind wearing all the time, taking on and off every time you stop for fuel or anything else.

Think of it like this: post crash a burst of flame, in front of you is a gallon jug of water and a PLB. You can only take one thing - which one are you going to choose?

Not a bad list. I would second the comments on a knife, ( I have a folding 4" Gerber) and some sort of light shelter like a space blanket. They can serve as a wind break and the silver ones really improve your visibility from the air. For a grab and go it looks good. I have a grab bag on the back of my seat and a better kit on the floor behind my seat when travelling. Having the stuff handy for a quick evac but secured enough to not shift in a rough landing is paramount.

Think of it like this: post crash a burst of flame, in front of you is a gallon jug of water and a PLB. You can only take one thing - which one are you going to choose?

The gallon of water. After the "burst of flame" melts your flip flops to your feet and your board shorts to your gonads you can use it to douse your skin and stop further heat injury from occurring. That is, if you are the typical warm weather GA flyer :rolleyes: ;)

That said the PLB is high on my list along with a means of day/night VDS.

Last edited:
I'm sure Alon will chime in soon as survival packs are his obsession, although his are built for the desert. In addition to what others said. I'd certainly add:

-Sunglasses ( if not worn)
-Signal Mirror
-Energy Bar

I have to say that the thought of keeping a flare on my person scares me. It could be a totally unwarranted fear but it does scare me.

Also as for the PLB, I think I'd wear it around my neck to activate on the way down. If for some reason your incapacitated after impact and can't activate it its not going to be worth crud.

I vote for the Leatherman tool, too.

Go,with a space blanket instead.
Makes a poor hoodie. Use the space blanket under the pancho for an extra layer.:yes: just have the fold up pocket ones on the hat shelf, they'll be in the ceiling or your lap in the event of emergency :).

Keep it up, this is what your "survival" vest is gonna look like in the end...

inflatable-sumos-suit-rentals.jpg

Here would be my edits:

Fanny pack
One PLB
One Pencil flare kit
One Smoke / flare signal. A mk124 would be nice if I could find them
One ACR flat strobe
One Signal mirror
Two Datrex water pouches Drop to one
A couple of sunscreen pouches OK is very small, otherwise ditch.
One Button light
One AAA flashlight
One micro FAK. You know ....... a band-aid.
With the space freed up, add a Leatherman tool, strike anywhere matches in a small rigid container (just a few), a butane lighter, a space blanket, a lithium AAA battery for the flashlight (10 year shelf life), and a spare battery for the strobe.

In my view, they purpose of the "on your body" kit is to help you stay alive for 24-36 hours, and get seen. You have to be alive, and if you can't get seen, you can't get rescued (leaving aside your PLB giving GPS coordinates).

To stay alive, you need heat (space blanket and fire starters).

Smoke flares are good for getting seen day or night. Once your flares are expended, the signal mirror is good in the daytime, the strobe is great at night.
You want a smoke plume, the fire will keep you warm and the smoke plume is visible for many miles (unless the winds are howling, in which case you still want to stay warm). Matches and butane lighter are for making fire.

Spare batteries because the ones in the unit will be dead when your life depends on it. Leatherman so you have a knife (you can make bandages with your clothes, cut kindling, cut yourself out of the plane, etc etc).

A knife is mandatory. If I had to choose four items, I would have a knife, matches, signal mirror, and a space blanket.

I'm sure Alon will chime in soon as survival packs are his obsession, although his are built for the desert. In addition to what others said. I'd certainly add:

-Signal Mirror
-Energy Bar

I have to say that the thought of keeping a flare on my person scares me. It could be a totally unwarranted fear but it does scare me.

Also as for the PLB, I think I'd wear it around my neck to activate on the way down. If for some reason your incapacitated after impact and can't activate it its not going to be worth crud.

I'm not fond of the flare either. I have a D-cell strobe that clips to a vest or life jacket or anything. Supposedly good for 24 hours non-stop.

-Signal Mirror
-Energy Bar

Here I am :)

My 2 cents:

- get rid of the flares and smoke signals...hazardous, bulky and unreliable....

Get the ACR firefly strobe instead ( and carry a set of spare lithium batteries in a waterproof container ).

Make sure you have at least 3 reliable tools to light a fire ( BIC lighter, firesteel and magnesium bar...all of them in a waterproof container ).

Carry at least 2 survival ( space ) sleeping bags...great for shelter, improvised solar still, water collection, signaling...

A sturdy knife ( not a $ 5.00 cheapo model ) is essential...a Leatherman is always a nice addition too...

A foldable hat ( cream / khaki - not a dark color ) will be really helpful if you're stranded in a hot and sunny location....

For first-aid: a military type tourniquet ( learn how to use it correctly ) and a blood-stopper bandage ( Israeli dressing )....

FWIW the manual that came with my PLB specifically states not to try and activate it while "going down" or still in the airplane as the antenna you deploy is fragile and would be easy to break during the panic or crash at which point you might be totally hosed.

FWIW the manual that came with my PLB specifically states not to try and activate it while "going down" or still in the airplane as the antenna you deploy is fragile and would be easy to break during the panic or crash at which point you might be totally hosed.

Wow now that is interesting! What happens in the case of you having a head injury and blacking out or other incapacitation?

Wow now that is interesting! What happens in the case of you having a head injury and blacking out or other incapacitation?

I'm going to say you're probabably f**d at that point anyway.

Find room for a whistle.

Sounds low tech, but when the SAR folks are tromping through the woods and blowing their whistle, you will get found faster if they can hear you.

This is not theory. I have a friend who was stranded way out in the woods and the whistle was the primary guide for the SAR folks to home in on him in the final stages of the rescue.

-Skip

Probably toast either way I suppose. I have my PLB strapped to my parachute when I'm flying the Flybaby.

You hope the 406mhz digital ELT you installed in your plane in place of your former analog unit does its job, right? :dunno::stirpot:

Back