"Please call the tower..."

^THIS^

Right on the money IMHO

You may be right and I hate LEOs probably more than anyone on this board. But, in a rare turn of events, IMHO the FAA has it right. The FAA isn't an armed tax collector. They seem to be tasked with public safetly and got at it from that angle. Sure stuff like the 3rd class medical to fly a Cessna 150, i don't agree with. But, with the NASA forms, no fineds for a reg bust etc.. they seem to be focues on the right things.

I was trained at a remote airport in Montana so talking to ATC doesn't come natural. If I need something, I call ATC or the tower. If they blow me off, OK. If I really need them, I insist. If I don't know what to say "officially" I use my best understanding of English. On a slow day, I've had conversations about people I myself and the controller jointly know and have passed on well wishes from the tower.

It's been done more times than I have fingers and toes, and that only counts the Part 121 air carrier incidents that made the news.

At KTUS, taxiway A is straight and runs parallel to the full length of the main runway. I guess there's a reason it's painted like this...

Attachments

• Screenshot.png
    Screenshot.png
    777.5 KB · Views: 7
I thought enforcement actions dropped from your record after 5 years.

Do they not?
Originally, enforcement and administrative actions stayed in your record forever. Then the FAA decided that pilots who stayed clean after one mistake deserved better, so they began expunging them after five/two years, respectively. It was that way for a while, then Congress got involved after there were some air carrier accidents involving pilots with previous problems that had been expunged, and passed a law requiring the FAA to keep enforcement actions in your record forever, so that's how it is again. Administrative actions like remedial training and counseling are still expunged after two years.

Thanks, Congress. :(

It has never even occurred to me that someone might mistaken a taxiway for a runway, especially at large airports. After reading through this thread, I guess it happens more often then I could imagine. I'm scratching my head

Let's put it this way.

Someone local thought this was necessary.

Funny story. So back in 2002 they started to have problems with people landing on taxiway alpha at KLNK instead of runway 35.

In 2002 it looked like this:
1V1lh5g.png

So to address the problem with people landing on taxiway Alpha they decided to paint a big ass A on it in 2003:
E573MlI.png

Well people still kept landing on the taxiway so they decided they'd fix it REAL GOOD this time and in 2007 they painted it up like this:
O1EWtiH.png

There, we fixed it GOOD! Problem is any new plane to the airport that was taxing on that taxiway would slam on their brakes and get confused as hell about the mess of paint in front of them. The markings were non-standard and causing constant problems.

So in 2010 they changed it back to:
d0lyzQp.png

So yeah, it's a big problem, I have no idea how the hell people manage to do it but they do it quite often here. There is an ASRS report where a 15,000 hour ATP that had been flying into LNK most of his life landed his RV-8 on the taxiway one day. He couldn't explain how he made the mistake but he did.

Stay alert. Don't get complacent.

Well people still kept landing on the taxiway so they decided they'd fix it REAL GOOD this time and in 2007 they painted it up like this:
O1EWtiH.png

CFI to first time student: Just keep the nosewheel on the yellow line while I call the tower... :rofl:

Originally, enforcement and administrative actions stayed in your record forever. Then the FAA decided that pilots who stayed clean after one mistake deserved better, so they began expunging them after five/two years, respectively. It was that way for a while, then Congress got involved after there were some air carrier accidents involving pilots with previous problems that had been expunged, and passed a law requiring the FAA to keep enforcement actions in your record forever, so that's how it is again. Administrative actions like remedial training and counseling are still expunged after two years.

Thanks, Congress. :(
It was part of the same Colgan crash response that added the new ATP rules. Typical.

Back