Play in PA28 control wheel bushing

Eric Pauley

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Eric Pauley
In annual and my IA is noting excess play in the control wheel bushing (the one in the panel that always gets gunked up). I'm not experiencing any issues so I'm wondering if this is worth doing. If so now is the time since the panel is opened up for avionics. Has anyone replaced these, and if so how bad was it and was it worth it?

You will need to separate the yoke shaft from the u-joint which is the hard part. Once the shaft is out, the retainment block has just 4 screws (IIRC).

Check AD for the u-joint, AD 2010-15-10, https://www.dropbox.com/s/3qdfzzi0o6j1pxd/AD.2010-15-10.Yoke.Shaft.Universal.Joint.pdf?dl=0

Check Piper's Service Bulletin, 1197D, https://www.dropbox.com/s/ib2ce4cnwhaef3m/Piper.MSB.1197D.Yoke.Shaft.pdf?dl=0

In the past there were teflon replacement bearings. Not sure if they are still available or advisable.

What year pa28? The early years seem to have that play

My question is, what about that play is an airworthiness concern? As long as the yoke slides freely through the bushing, why is there an issue, even if it bounces a little?

My question is, what about that play is an airworthiness concern? As long as the yoke slides freely through the bushing, why is there an issue, even if it bounces a little?
Not airworthiness, so it’s my option whether to fix.

If you do not want to change it, you can take the opportunity to thoroughly clean it. Pull off the panel cover. Remove the retainment block, pop the bushing, clean, and replace. Of course, all this will be done with the various components loose, but still on the shaft.

After cleaning, put NO LUBRICATION on the shaft. You may wipe it down to remove dust. You may wipe it down with something which will COMPLETELY evaporate and leave NO residue. DO NOT even think about using WD-40.

I have sprayed mine with Dry Silicone and that works great and lasts a long time.

I cracked and had them replaced. For the price these new bushings had better feel amazing... Looking forward all that improved resale value that "500h SMCWBOH" gets me down the road :(

I have sprayed mine with Dry Silicone and that works great and lasts a long time.

I've had good luck with PTFE dry lube occasionally and isopropyl alcohol the rest of the time. With the new ones I'll try just cleaning and see how long that lasts. The old bushings still worked after 10,000h so I expect these new ones to outlive me/the plane.

I use pure silicone that is advertised for treadmills. A 4oz bottle will last the rest of my flying.

couple of drops, rub with clean shop cloth and Bob’s your uncle

OEM. I think I'd rather clean/lube with PTFE than have an actual PTFE shaft, since shaft pitting/dirt deposits would negate the effectiveness of the PTFE shaft. Honestly with proper cleaning I've never had issues with these yoke shafts so I'm not too worried.

I was just curious. If I were to replace my bushings, I'd go metal rather than plastic too.

Back