Platelet Rich Plasma PRP

X3 Skier

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
Geezer
Not about 3rd Class but wondering about the efficacy of the treatment for arthritic knees. I have a couple of friends who have had the treatment and rave about the benefits.

Just wondering if others have any experience with PRP. If it delays or eliminates the need for knee replacement, I might consider giving it a try.

I understand it is considered experimental but with places like The Stedman Clinic in Vail offering it, it seems a reasonable thing to do vs total joint replacement.

Cheers

There is absolutely no scientifically validated trial of this modality, as to rfeducing the number of Total Knees that eventually have to be done, or affect operational outcomes. Therefore, Medicare will not cover it nor will any insurance company. Buyer beware!

Try to find a string on Chondroitin sulfate. Testimony sure sounds the same.

There is absolutely no scientifically validated trial of this modality, as to rfeducing the number of Total Knees that eventually have to be done, or affect operational outcomes. Therefore, Medicare will not cover it nor will any insurance company. Buyer beware!

Try to find a string on Chondroitin sulfate. Testimony sure sounds the same.

Lot more expensive than Chondrotin as well. ;)

Thanks.

Transfusion medicine is not risk free either.. it is possible for someone to contract something infectious, with the transmission occurring in the period between inoculation and generation of antibodies. We currently protect the blood supply from that possibility by screening out high risk populations indiscriminately. It is not perfect.

Plasma comes from multiple donors (pooled plasma). Some of the plasma doners do get paid for their time and trouble. While they DO screen them early and often, the population of donors tends to be folks who need extra money. Take that for what you will.

I could only foreseeably see an therapeutic plasma exchange being useful in rheumatic arthritis, but there are so many better targeted, antigen specific therapies that give proven benefit.

I would consider this use of plasma exchange a form of quackery.

Last edited:
There is absolutely no data that supports the efficacy of PRP for either pain relief or for prevention or treatment of arthritis.

There is absolutely no data that supports the efficacy of PRP for either pain relief or for prevention or treatment of arthritis.
Okay boys that was pretty definitive. AcroBoy is a USAF Flight surgeon and an orthopedic surgeon......

...and although I tend not to state things as strongly as doggityred, I DO AGREE.

I surrender re arthritis. ;)

OTOH, It does surprise me that what I would consider reputable places like The Steadman Clinic in Vail and the Yampa Valley Medical Center here in Steamboat offer the treatment if it is true quackery. Is it valuable for other than arthritis or is just completely unproven for any purpose?

Not trying to be argumentative, just for my general insight.

Cheers

Last edited:
I surrender re arthritis. ;)

OTOH, It does surprise me that what I would consider reputable places like The Steadman Clinic in Vail and the Yampa Valley Medical Center here in Steamboat offer the treatment if it is true quackery. Is it valuable for other than arthritis or is just completely unproven for any purpose?

Not trying to be argumentative, just for my general insight.

Cheers
They make money.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back