Plantar wart on heel (not aviation related)

U

Unregistered

Hello

I am being treated by a doctor for a plantar wart on my heel that I probably picked up from the gym.

The first visit was a deep freeze and two weeks later another deep freeze. It was still thick at that second visit so he sent me home with salinocaine (SP?) which apparently is concentrated salicylic acid.

Two weeks later, and it's start to want to just lift off - peel off. What is trying to peel off is roughly the size of a quarter and probably almost that thick, too. Only one side has started to peel.

My concern is next steps and will I be able to walk on it. If I go back to the doctor, he will probably want to chisel off what is left. Not "dig down" but scrape it off.

How hard will it be to walk after that? During all of this it has not been painful at all but my concern is once some scraping occurs I might be ripe for infection or even just painful walking.

I *have* to be fully ambulatory for the entire week of Thanksgiving. No ifs, ands or buts.

Should I just continue with the nightly salinocaine and will it eventually slough off on its own (with a visit to the doc after I return from Thanksgiving) or should I visit his office ASAP, get it scraped now, with the hopes that I will have healed in two weeks time (heading home to visit family two weeks from tomorrow).

I am thinking I should just let it go, as is, so that I can walk, but I don't know if that is somehow going to make it worse. There is no blood or anything, the thing appears to be trying to peel off on its own just slowly.

Thanks

I'd get it cut out/off, but that's just me. I've had three now, and by the third I told the doctor don't even bother with the freeze/acid just dig it out. I had a bloody hole bigger than a pencil eraser, but with a surgical shoe thing I was able to walk just fine. It only took a couple of days for the swelling to go down enough to put a normal shoe on and I was back to flying (although I was having to change out dressings a couple of times per day, yuck).

I had a series of those during college. The salicylic acid did the trick and I was still able to walk several miles a day to and from class. Slight discomfort at best.

I've had two that were surgically removed. In my case, the things had continued to grow. So, treating the pain but trying to live with them could be an exercise in futility. Get rid of the damn things. They'll only give you more trouble in the future.

Thanks everyone

Right now, I'm merely talking short term. Getting me to December 1.

They are actually responding very well to the two freezings and the salicylic acid. I *think* I am in the home stretch. The thing that is trying to peel off is fairly large.

My question merely relates to:

Can this wait until December 1?

If I scrape it now, will I be fully ambulatory, no pain, in two weeks from now, or should I just keep doing the acid and take my chances on that week - and git er dun on December 1?

I'd just keep up with the salacylic acid. I had a big ol' wart right on the ball of one off hind-paws, and that hurt like the devil to walk upon. I just used the acid (patches from the drugstore) and eventually, this big chunk of nasty looking wart came off. What was left was an area of soft, pink skin, and I thought it would be uncomfortable to walk, but really was not.

I had those as a teenager and my PCP burned them out. Mine were on the balls of my feet and the injection to numb them was painful as hell. When they came back I opted for Sx to have them removed and have never seen them again.

Thanks everyone

Right now, I'm merely talking short term. Getting me to December 1.

They are actually responding very well to the two freezings and the salicylic acid. I *think* I am in the home stretch. The thing that is trying to peel off is fairly large.

My question merely relates to:

Can this wait until December 1?

If I scrape it now, will I be fully ambulatory, no pain, in two weeks from now, or should I just keep doing the acid and take my chances on that week - and git er dun on December 1?

Keep taking acid, you'll feel no pain.

Use the acid, put duct tape over it and then a small patch style band aid. Worked great for me.

Thank you everyone

Not to gross everyone out, but, the quarter-sizes piece finally sloughed off on its own.

It was starting to peel along the edges and I gave it a small tug each time I re-bandaged it.

Finally this morning the only thing still sticking was the bit of the wart itself and that came off pretty easily. The skin all around it is quite pink, and there is a small bit of a defined hole that used to be the wart. I don't want to touch it so I don't know if that hole still contains wart bits or not. I doubt this is completely over but this is the first step, anyway.

Luckily no bleeding.

Sounds disgusting enough, but BTDT, and likely you got it all. The pink skin, in the "hole," will be a little tender for a while, then toughen-up, and soon, you'll forget it ever happened.

Nature can be pretty gross, though.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back