Plano, Texas crash.

FlightmechH3

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
FlightmechH3
Just a few minutes ago.Screenshot_20231121-163938_Maps~2.jpg

Last edited:

The accident site shown is approx. 1300' west of the approach end to Runway 16 at Air Park-Dallas (F69.) The plane impacted on the NW-facing side of the building.

N1204X. LiveATC has the pilot communicating with ADS Tower, inbound to F69 but reporting "it may be too dark for me" to land. The aircraft flew about a mile south of Air Park and reported to ADS Tower that he could make out the runway and would attempt to land. Next comm was ADS Tower asking if he was going around, no response.

Last edited:
The speeds look odd. Climbout in the 80-90 KTS, accelerated, left turn,and leveled off about 900', last ping was up to 140 KTS, then nothing.

Last edited:
This was carried on the local SAT news at 10p last night. Horrible crash scene.

I hate that airport. It is incredibly difficult to locate in broad daylight. Busy airspace in an unforgiving location.
I would be hesitant to do it at night

I think I’ve been in there four or five times. It’s not actually that bad, but isn’t for a rookie either.

Certainly a gratuitous way to die over not wanting to park it at ADS and waiting until daylight to pick the place out more easily. And in the interest of not being a hypocrite, I'll disclose I have been guilty of similar imprudence in my younger years. But I was young so I was immortal; I mean that's just science, everybody knows that. :biggrin: Sometimes I miss being immortal, ngl.

P.S. Unrelated, the shop at that airpark is the one who gave me the most competitive quote for the engine out of all the vendors I contacted before I gave up on the thing.

Certainly a gratuitous way to die over not wanting to park it at ADS and waiting until daylight to pick the place out more easily. And in the interest of not being a hypocrite, I'll disclose I have been guilty of similar imprudence in my younger years. But I was young so I was immortal; I mean that's just science, everybody knows that. :biggrin: Sometimes I miss being immortal, ngl.

P.S. Unrelated, the shop at that airpark is the one who gave me the most competitive quote for the engine out of all the vendors I contacted before I gave up on the thing.
To be fair, there are genuine problems with Addison as well.

To be fair, there are genuine problems with Addison as well.
I'm not read up on the issues at ADS; I wonder what kind of issues would discourage someone from landing there, given the original destination was so proximate.

I hate that airport. It is incredibly difficult to locate in broad daylight. Busy airspace in an unforgiving location.
I would be hesitant to do it at night

I'm not comfortable landing there as daylight fades. The lighting of the strip centers and heavy traffic on Park Blvd makes it really difficult to get a good sight picture of the runway. I haven't tried a night landing.

I'm not read up on the issues at ADS; I wonder what kind of issues would discourage someone from landing there, given the original destination was so proximate.
Lots of traffic, something like 500 planes at that airport and a single runway, very often lots of waiting on the ground. I've been sitting for a LONG time something like 14th in line for takeoff with a steady stream of people inbound for landing as well. If I was a pilot who preferred to not let my engine sit at idle for 20+ minutes and started feeling stuffy from waiting in line, I could see it being quite unattractive and even daunting.

Oh, and pricey. But dying is worse...

He was 87
But I was young so I was immortal; I mean that's just science, everybody knows that. :biggrin: Sometimes I miss being immortal, ngl.
This guy was 87, which I've noticed seems to come with it's own sense of immortality.

I've got a friend who recently quit flying as a commercial pilot at 85. When he buys something and they offer a warranty, he loves to explain to them how an extended warranty would outlast him!

I've got a friend who recently quit flying as a commercial pilot at 85. When he buys something and they offer a warranty, he loves to explain to them how an extended warranty would outlast him!

This reminds me of a dark but humorous comment made by a general surgery colleague during tumor board while discussing treatment options for a patient with very advanced cancer. He said “advise them not to buy anything on ‘lay away’”.

He was 87

This guy was 87, which I've noticed seems to come with it's own sense of immortality.

One of my in-laws used to say they were too old to buy green bananas!

One of my in-laws used to say they were too old to buy green bananas!
That. And we eat dessert first, too.

My favorite old-guy joke:

Two old guys are sitting on a bench in the park. One of them is complaining about his aches and pains and stiffness and everything else that's wrong with his old body.

The other guy, an optimist, says "Oh, no. I feel like a newborn baby."

The complainer says, "Well, how's that?"

Optimist: "Well, I got no hair, got no teeth, and I think I just wet my pants!"

Back