Planning my longest XC yet

Not sure if this page renders right for everyone...but Kent's post above mine pretty much destroyed the page. Things get tricky when you start injecting tables into a page if the module isn't built to deal with user error.

Yes, I fixed it, and moved my reply into the table thread in site feedback and support.

Damn hijackers. ;)

Update:

[row][cell]Land/Overfly[/cell][cell]ID[/cell][cell]Waypoint name[/cell][cell]State[/cell][cell]MEF[/cell][cell]Dist.[/cell][cell]Comments[/cell][/row]
[row][cell]T[/cell][cell]KMSN[/cell][cell]Dane Co. Reg'l[/cell][cell]WI[/cell][/row]
[row][cell]L[/cell][cell]6V4[/cell][cell]Wall Muni[/cell][cell]SD[/cell][cell]3700[/cell][cell]563nm[/cell][cell]Eat @ Wall Drug[/cell][/row]
[row][cell]O[/cell][cell]SD70[/cell][cell]Rushmore Heli[/cell][cell]SD[/cell][cell]6500[/cell][cell]51nm[/cell][/row]
[row][cell]O[/cell][cell]0SD9[/cell][cell]Crazy Horse Heli[/cell][cell]SD[/cell][cell]7600[/cell][cell]10nm[/cell][/row]
[row][cell]O[/cell][cell]CZI[/cell][cell]Crazy Woman VOR[/cell][cell]WY[/cell][cell]7600[/cell][cell]121nm[/cell][/row]
[row][cell]O[/cell][cell]WY00[/cell][cell]Red Reflet Ranch[/cell][cell]WY[/cell][cell]9300[/cell][cell]41nm[/cell][/row]
[row][cell]L[/cell][cell]KGEY[/cell][cell]South Bighorn Co.[/cell][cell]WY[/cell][cell]9300[/cell][cell]45nm[/cell][cell]Fuel[/cell][/row]
[row][cell]O[/cell][cell]none[/cell][cell]Sylvan Pass[/cell][cell]WY[/cell][cell]12,700[/cell][cell]86nm[/cell][cell]Follow road thru Yellowstone[/cell][/row]
[row][cell]L[/cell][cell]KWYS[/cell][cell]West Yellowstone[/cell][cell]MT[/cell][cell]12,000[/cell][cell]46nm[/cell][cell]Overnight[/cell][/row]
[row][cell]L[/cell][cell]KLLJ[/cell][cell]Challis[/cell][cell]ID[/cell][cell]11,700[/cell][cell]132nm[/cell][cell]Mountain flying course?[/cell][/row]
[row][cell]L[/cell][cell]S21[/cell][cell]Sunriver[/cell][cell]OR[/cell][cell]12,200[/cell][cell]313nm[/cell][/row]

Return trip (still workin' on it):

[row][cell]Land/Overfly[/cell][cell]ID[/cell][cell]Waypoint name[/cell][cell]State[/cell][cell]MEF[/cell][cell]Dist.[/cell][cell]Comments[/cell][/row]
[row][cell]T[/cell][cell]S21[/cell][cell]Sunriver[/cell][cell]OR[/cell][/row]
[row][/row]
[row][/row]
[row][/row]
[row][/row]
[row][/row]
[row][/row]

[row][cell]O[/cell][cell]none[/cell][cell]Devil's Tower[/cell][cell]WY[/cell][/row]

long range seats

Well Ed, I couldn't sit in a Cherokee for that long either. ;)
-snip-
FWIW, I've done EFD->SIK->MSN in one day (894.2nm), 8.8 hours in the 182 as well, and not been so beat at the end I couldn't have done more. I think my plan is going to be to make it to WYS the first day and that's only about 50nm farther.
-snip-
I bought the Oregon Aero seat cushions with the lumbar support option and they really do the job. Wife and neighbor borrowed them for 14 hours of poll duty recently and came home raving. I quickly put them back in the airplane. http://www.oregonaero.com/p24_2001.htm
They're rather pricey and I only bought 2. Passengers get pillows <g>. They are extremely durable, so you'll only have to buy them once and protect them like headsets.

Dick

I go to Sunriver annually for my family's reunion. You're gonna love it. It'll be well worth the small fortune. .
When I started looking at your thread, I was inclined to say that the long trip may burn you out on flying low and slow (especially the cost). But I think that was jealousy talking.:yes:
Now, after reading about the cool places to stop along the way, I want to make that trip, too. I've flown from Chicago to Denver and Chicago to Orlando. Those were some pretty long hauls. But this trip is quite a bit longer than those.:blueplane:
ApacheBob

Re: long range seats

They are extremely durable, so you'll only have to buy them once and protect them like headsets.

You sit on your headsets? :dunno: ;) :D :rofl:

Thanks for the suggestion. Our 182 has about a 6-year-old interior and it's quite comfortable on the long hauls. I've done a 5.3 hour leg and an 8.8 hour day in it without getting sore.

However, once I buy something I'm sure I'll probably end up getting some Oregon Aero toys. I know I don't do nearly as well in the Archers.

And it's getting even longer...

Will convinced me to go to California by enticing me with smoked dead animals. Now, Joe Areeda is enticing me to go even farther south in CA... And it's just getting "worse" from there. :D

So, now it's looking more like this...

Leave Madison
Fuel stop TBD
6V4 Wall, SD - Wall Drug
Overfly Rushmore, Crazy Horse, and Devil's Tower to see them
Overfly the Crazy Woman VOR just because. :rofl:
Overfly Red Reflet airport for terrain avoidance on the way to fuel in Greybull, WY.
Fly towards Cody, WY and follow the road through Yellowstone and Sylvan Pass
Camp overnight at West Yellowstone airport
Work my way to Challis, ID and get some mountain-flying instruction
Head to Sunriver, OR for the family reunion
Day trip to McMinnville to visit the Evergreen Air and Space Museum
Depart Sunriver southbound, fly past Crater Lake and Mount Shasta
Land at WVI. Visit Will. Eat tasty smoked animals. Fly around the bay area.
Head towards SoCal. Visit Joe (and anyone else in the area).
Land on 16R, just because. (I wonder if they're getting tired of that yet.)
Fly past the Hoover Dam and the Grand Canyon.
Stop at Bryce Canyon.
Head north towards Salina, UT and follow I-70 east - I want to see the San Rafael Swell and other beautiful rocks from the air.
Land at Leadville, CO - The highest elevation public airport in the US - Just because.
Work my way home, possibly stopping to pester the NE and IA folks on the way.

I may do this in reverse, but most likely not. I also have plenty of time now, with no pesky job to come back to. :D I'll most likely depart on August 12th or so, and return by the 29th.

attachment.php

Attachments

• Picture 13.png
    Picture 13.png
    770.9 KB · Views: 113
Well, I'll avoid the O2 discussion for you low landers, y'all know how I feel about that :)

When I was flying back to Albuquerque from Michigan, I stopped at KRAP just to get it in my logbook (and claim it), and that was a cool operation, with the entirely self-serve FBO. Its also the most logical launching point for a trip around the pattern of Mt. Rushmore (just don't get flight following towards the monument like I did, the controller was a bit of an ******* about it).

KCYS was a really, really nice group of folks, considering it was Class D with what appeared to be a bunch of military traffic in and out.

I have not been to KLAR, but I hear they're pretty nice there, too, and its non-towered. I totally missed Devil's Tower, and flew pretty damn near to it, so I'm kicking myself for that one. Take some good pictures!

Between KRAP and KCYS is where I hit my highest flown altitude (not out of necessity, but out of boredom)....turns out a PA28-180 can fly pretty close to 16,500 on a summer day....and I didn't die either. Good ol' hypoxia, killing pilots left and right. :D

And it's getting even longer...

Will convinced me to go to California by enticing me with smoked dead animals. Now, Joe Areeda is enticing me to go even farther south in CA... And it's just getting "worse" from there. :D

So, now it's looking more like this...

Leave Madison
Fuel stop TBD
6V4 Wall, SD - Wall Drug
Overfly Rushmore, Crazy Horse, and Devil's Tower to see them
Overfly the Crazy Woman VOR just because. :rofl:
Overfly Red Reflet airport for terrain avoidance on the way to fuel in Greybull, WY.
Fly towards Cody, WY and follow the road through Yellowstone and Sylvan Pass
Camp overnight at West Yellowstone airport
Work my way to Challis, ID and get some mountain-flying instruction
Head to Sunriver, OR for the family reunion
Day trip to McMinnville to visit the Evergreen Air and Space Museum
Depart Sunriver southbound, fly past Crater Lake and Mount Shasta
Land at WVI. Visit Will. Eat tasty smoked animals. Fly around the bay area.
Head towards SoCal. Visit Joe (and anyone else in the area).
Land on 16R, just because. (I wonder if they're getting tired of that yet.)
Fly past the Hoover Dam and the Grand Canyon.
Stop at Bryce Canyon.
Head north towards Salina, UT and follow I-70 east - I want to see the San Rafael Swell and other beautiful rocks from the air.
Land at Leadville, CO - The highest elevation public airport in the US - Just because.
Work my way home, possibly stopping to pester the NE and IA folks on the way.

I may do this in reverse, but most likely not. I also have plenty of time now, with no pesky job to come back to. :D I'll most likely depart on August 12th or so, and return by the 29th.

attachment.php

Looks like a pretty wide arc around Albuquerque...sniff :(

Just playing, dawg.

So, with a constant speed prop, would that just be peak EGT (in a full-throttle runup)?

Oh boy! how many opinions can we get here?

I must have heard a half dozen pre-take-off leaning theories during training. The chief pilot said to go to peak EGT, the asst chief pilot said pull lean tell she stutters then give'r 5 half turns rich. The first instructor said to lean to rpm rise, watch the EGT peak, then give a couple half turns rich for the wife and kids. The second instructor said go to peak EGT then get it to drop "a ways". The POH I've been reviewing sez either run 50 rich of peak for max power or run peak for max econ but be sure to run max rich for take-off and climb at any altitude but it is a fuel injected turbo.

Oh yeah, don't fergit to lean after start-up.

Second oh yeah, don't forget the idle/carb heat check after the run-up lean.

Third oh yeah, after training and getting ticket at a high altitude airport, don't fergit to go richer before landing at a lower altitude airport. Don't ask about my 2,000' take-off roll solo in a Skyhawk.

Looks like you'll be pretty close to KLNK. I hope we see ya when you come through.

Leave Madison
Fuel stop TBD
6V4 Wall, SD - Wall Drug

Looke like Worthington (OTG) is about halfway...and FRM is about 50 NM short of halfway (223/340 nm legs with a stop at FRM). Worthington has a nice big airport just off of I-90 that's easy to spot. I cannot speak to how it is for fuel and such.

Looks like a pretty wide arc around Albuquerque...sniff :(

Sorry dude. I hadn't really planned on even going to SoCal originally - Heck, the original original plan didn't involve CA at all! But, after I added NorCal to the plan, there was a bunch of stuff I wanted to see in Utah and Colorado on the way home. The SoCal part is a new addition.

Just playing, dawg.

I know. I'd love to stop by anyway. I'll catch ya next time. :yes:

I must have heard a half dozen pre-take-off leaning theories during training. The chief pilot said to go to peak EGT, the asst chief pilot said pull lean tell she stutters then give'r 5 half turns rich. The first instructor said to lean to rpm rise, watch the EGT peak, then give a couple half turns rich for the wife and kids.

Hmm. No vernier on the mixture in this plane, only the prop... So those won't work. :no:

The second instructor said go to peak EGT then get it to drop "a ways". The POH I've been reviewing sez either run 50 rich of peak for max power or run peak for max econ but be sure to run max rich for take-off and climb at any altitude but it is a fuel injected turbo.

Yeah, that makes a big difference!

We're talking a plain-jane (WRT the engine anyway) 1971 C182. 230hp Continental O-470, normally aspirated, carbureted, constant-speed prop. The only thing that's new in the engine system is a single-cylinder digital EGT.

Oh yeah, don't fergit to lean after start-up.

Always! No fouled plugs for me. :no:

Second oh yeah, don't forget the idle/carb heat check after the run-up lean.

Yep - I'm one of the very few people I know that actually does an idle check at the end of the runup.

So, with my plain-jane carbureted engine and single-cylinder digital EGT, what's the best technique for pre-takeoff leaning at high altitude?

Looke like Worthington (OTG) is about halfway...and FRM is about 50 NM short of halfway (223/340 nm legs with a stop at FRM). Worthington has a nice big airport just off of I-90 that's easy to spot. I cannot speak to how it is for fuel and such.

The places I've considered for the first fuel stop so far include Springfield, Canby, Blue Earth, and Luverne in MN and Millbank, SD. I will be passing very close to Worthington... Currently FRM and OTG are both $5.40/gal. Milbank is $3.99! :goofy: Blue Earth is a bit too short on the first leg, as I'd like to make it to Greybull, WY after the first fuel stop.

I'd stop by and beg for a ride in your new bird, but I'd surely put you over gross. :(

Currently FRM and OTG are both $5.40/gal. Milbank is $3.99! :goofy:
How recent is that quote? Don't even think about FSD...nice airport and FBO, but $6.04. FRM went up to $5.50 last week.

Blue Earth is a bit too short on the first leg, as I'd like to make it to Greybull, WY after the first fuel stop.
Yeah, SBU-6V4 would be about 355 NM, and that's a pretty long haul. You might also consider St James (JYG), though that's not much farther along.

I'd stop by and beg for a ride in your new bird, but I'd surely put you over gross. :(
Naw...I've had a 270 pound passenger before, and we didn't do too badly for a sightseeing trip. Much more than that, and the seat gets tight enough to be uncomfortable. For that matter, the factory test pilot is 240 pounds...

Last edited:
So, with my plain-jane carbureted engine and single-cylinder digital EGT, what's the best technique for pre-takeoff leaning at high altitude?

Ummm, I dunno but I've heard at least half-a-dozen ways...:)

I've been reading Pelican's Perch stuff: http://www.warmkessel.com/jr/flying/td/jd/18.jsp

And what I get is that max power is somewhere rich of peak. The exact point of max power may result in max cylinder head temp so go a little richer. Fortunately the power curve is likely pretty flat in that region. The bad news is that cylinder head temps may still be too high for long engine life. So go ahead and take-off and initial climb at rich but pull back power fairly soon. That procedure is what the Turbo-Dakota's POH calls for.

In the end, I'm thinking full engine monitoring and GAMI injectors for the Dakota. Also learning to run lean of peak.

I'm really curious about what folks think of Deakin and of GAMI. The technical approach appeals to me but I don't have the experience to say that what they are doing is correct.

Sounds like a great trip, but FWIW, I see three red flags already (that you are probably also aware of):

1) You don't seem to want to factor in an extra day or two.

2) You're going into some high, rugged country during the high-DA season.

3) You're thinking of trying out a portable O2 system on this trip.

Just thinking you should give yourself lots of time, plan for early morning/late afternoon departures and arrivals where possible... and take a mountain course and get used to an O2 system before you head out on this big trip!

I'm reminded of my longest XC (2N8-KNEW, r/t): the plane had a decent GPS, but I hadn't bothered to learn it before I left. Before returning from New Orleans, I downloaded the entire manual, figuring I'd bone up on it and use it properly on the return trip. About halfway through reading it I said "what the heck am I doing?" and laid it aside... I'd already flown the same route VFR with good accuracy, why throw in another distracting variable for the next 1100-mile jaunt?

It's great to have extra tools for these big flights, but it's wise to get comfortable with them first.

:rofl:

FWIW, I have done extended flights at 11,500 and 12,500 without O2. Heck, I've driven up to 11,158! :)

I think I will at least buy a pulse oximeter. It'll be interesting to see what goes on way up there. :yes:

Kent I have a pulse oximeter and portable oxygen you can use. It has a ox saver canal and a mask if you want to go to FL. Let me know ahead of time so I can have it topped off. I use it most trips when I am going long distances because I usually get up high, I have never had to fill it yet. I would not go on a trip like that without ox, if not just for the safety factor of getting over weather.

Dan

1) You don't seem to want to factor in an extra day or two.

You must have read the original post... I won't have a job by that point, so I have all the time in the world. I'm gonna leave 3 days earlier than originally planned, and get back up to a week later. :)

2) You're going into some high, rugged country during the high-DA season.

The 182 is a very capable bird, even more so with just me in her! Still climbs 500-600 fpm at 13,000 feet in July loaded that way. I'll certainly be paying close attention to performance, though!

3) You're thinking of trying out a portable O2 system on this trip.

O2 is no longer optional. MSN to Oregon can be done fairly low - U44 to LXV and points east cannot.

Just thinking you should give yourself lots of time, plan for early morning/late afternoon departures and arrivals where possible... and take a mountain course and get used to an O2 system before you head out on this big trip!

It's great to have extra tools for these big flights, but it's wise to get comfortable with them first.

I can't exactly take a mountain course before I leave. We seem to have a shortage of mountains here in WI. ;)

As for the O2, I'll play with it *before* I need it, but might not have the chance before the trip.

Kent I have a pulse oximeter and portable oxygen you can use. It has a ox saver canal and a mask if you want to go to FL. Let me know ahead of time so I can have it topped off. I use it most trips when I am going long distances because I usually get up high, I have never had to fill it yet. I would not go on a trip like that without ox, if not just for the safety factor of getting over weather.

Wow Dan, that would be great! I think I might buy an oximeter at OSH anyway, there have been other times where I've wondered, ya know?

Wow. I can't thank you enough. :yes:

Wow Dan, that would be great! I think I might buy an oximeter at OSH anyway, there have been other times where I've wondered, ya know?

Wow. I can't thank you enough. :yes:

No problem, You do not have to play with the ox it is very straight forward. Very nice system, all you have to do is set the altitude in the regulator and your good to go. You can also regulate the ox by the oximeter. I have found that anything over 9000' and I'm getting into the 80s.

Dan

Okay, it's getting to be crunch time.

Tomorrow, I will be making a boatload of phone calls to check on actual fuel prices, etc. to finalize my fuel stops, at least for the first part (MSN-S21) of the trip.

I'm also thinking about trying to get actual lodging for some places I was going to camp. That'll save me from carrying a lot of camping equipment, and improve my climb performance.

So, for the first half of the trip, so far it looks like this:

Aug. 12: Depart KMSN, stop KLYV (fuel, ConUS), land KMHE Mitchell, SD (ConUS, overnight). 380.9 nm.
Aug. 13: Depart KMHE, stop 6V4 (food), overfly Mt. Rushmore (near SD70) and Crazy Horse (near 0SD9), stop 83V (ConUS), overfly Devil's Tower (near W43), then to KGEY via the Crazy Woman VOR (CZI) and WY00 to avoid terrain. Fuel at KGEY, then fly past Cody to the east entrance of Yellowstone Park, follow the road through the park to Sylvan Pass and turn up to KWYS West Yellowstone. Stop overnight. 629.4nm.
Aug. 14: Depart KWYS, stop U53 (ConUS), stop 7S1 (fuel, ConUS), KDLN (ConUS), KSMN (ConUS), 0U8 (ConUS), land KLLJ (ConUS, fuel, +).
* Spend the remainder of the 14th and all of the 15th getting some dual on mountain flying! :goofy: *
Aug. 16th: Depart KLLJ, stop at S49 to claim it for ConUS and have lunch with Bob Bement, and then on to S21.
* Spend the week at S21 for family reunion. Hopefully I will get a chance to fly my uncle's Mooney Ovation, and go to KMMV to check out the Evergreen Air and Space Museum. *

The second half of the trip, I still need to do some figuring. I'll spend the 24th getting from S21 through a couple of ConUS claims and overfly Crater Lake and Mount Shasta on my way down to WVI where I'll visit with Will Hawkins for a couple of days.

I'll probably depart there on the 26th, but I need to figure out how the days will be going, where to stay, etc. Hopefully I'll get a chance to stop and see Joe, Richard, maybe Mari if she's around (and anyone else in Denver?), the Lincoln crew, and the Ames crew on the way home. Offerings of couches are much appreciated. ;)

I'll probably depart there on the 26th, but I need to figure out how the days will be going, where to stay, etc. Hopefully I'll get a chance to stop and see Joe, Richard, maybe Mari if she's around (and anyone else in Denver?), the Lincoln crew, and the Ames crew on the way home. Offerings of couches are much appreciated. ;)

Sounds like a great adventure! I'm sure you will enjoy much and learn more.

We look forward to the post-flight writeup.

Sounds like a great adventure! I'm sure you will enjoy much and learn more.

Amen to that! Long cross countries are the best. You always learn, and you have fun too! :yes:

We look forward to the post-flight writeup.

I'm gonna try to write up each day if I can... Writing up 3500nm worth at once sounds hard! :goofy:

Kent;
I can hardly wait to read about your great journey. I know you will learn a lot and see a lot or great country from the best place; an airplane.

Have fun

John

Kent,

I'm not sure if you're planning an overnight in Lincoln, but I have a guest room...and you are welcome to use it if you are so inclined. You would have your own bed and your own bathroom, but you would also have a 1 month old baby across the hall. :)

83V sounds fun! Only gets 12 operations (all GA) per YEAR.

Surface: gravel, in poor condition
+1' MOUNDS AND RUTTING ON ENTIRE RWY
1 FINELY CRUSHED SHALE.

You're going to have a LOT of fun on this trip, Kent... I wish I could go along. The scenery from Rushmore west will be amazing.

I just noticed there is a big old ugly firefighting TFR covering your planned "road through Yellowstone" route:

Not sure if this link will work for you or not; if not, the text of the NOTAM TFR is included as well:

http://map.aeroplanner.com/mapping/tfr.cfm?id=8/0949&rt=ix8kc1fr0

8/0949 - WY.. FLIGHT RESTRICTION, 30 MILES WEST OF CODY, WYOMING. EFFECTIVE 1300-0500 UTC DAILY UNTIL FURTHER NOTICE. PURSUANT TO 14 CFR SECTION 91.137(A)(2) TEMPORARY FLIGHT RESTRICTIONS ARE IN EFFECT WITHIN A 8 NAUTICAL MILE RADIUS OF 442945N/1094544W OR THE CODY /COD/ VOR/DME 244 DEGREE RADIAL AT 35.0 NAUTICAL MILES AT AND BELOW 13000 FEET MSL TO PROVIDE A SAFE ENVIRONMENT FOR FIREFIGHTING AIRCRAFT OPERATIONS. CODY INTERAGENCY DISPATCH CENTER, TELEPHONE 800-295-9954 OR FREQ 135.100/GUNBARREL FIRE, IS IN CHARGE OF THE OPERATION. SALT LAKE /ZLC/ ARTCC, TELEPHONE 801-320-2560, IS THE FAA COORDINATION FACILITY. WIE UNTIL UFN. CREATED: 02 AUG 22:20 2008

More details and maps, non-aviation, on the fires and progress fighting them:

http://yellowstoneinsider.com/index.php?contentID=1061&articleID=232

Attachments

• WY_TFR.gif
    WY_TFR.gif
    291 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:
Okay, it's getting to be crunch time.

Aug. 13: Depart KMHE, stop 6V4 (food), overfly Mt. Rushmore (near SD70) and Crazy Horse (near 0SD9), stop 83V (ConUS), overfly Devil's Tower (near W43), then to KGEY via the Crazy Woman VOR (CZI) and WY00 to avoid terrain. Fuel at KGEY, then fly past Cody to the east entrance of Yellowstone Park, follow the road through the park to Sylvan Pass and turn up to KWYS West Yellowstone. Stop overnight. 629.4nm.
Aug. 14: Depart KWYS, stop U53 (ConUS), stop 7S1 (fuel, ConUS), KDLN (ConUS), KSMN (ConUS), 0U8 (ConUS), land KLLJ (ConUS, fuel, +).
* Spend the remainder of the 14th and all of the 15th getting some dual on mountain flying! :goofy: *
Aug. 16th: Depart KLLJ, stop at S49 to claim it for ConUS and have lunch with Bob Bement, and then on to S21.
* Spend the week at S21 for family reunion. Hopefully I will get a chance to fly my uncle's Mooney Ovation, and go to KMMV to check out the Evergreen Air and Space Museum. *

Kent,

If you land at Upton 83V keep the nose up. It is made of soft shale and according to the guys at Torrington it is hard on props. I already have my share of nicks in my prop, so I opted out of landing there. The approaches are open, the runway looks like a giant hill of mine tailings.

I'm going to be jealous if you get to land at Henry's Lake U53. I was hoping to land there but was being chased by a thunderstorm at the time. I wish you better luck! :cheerswine:

Say Hi to Bob for me, please.

And the Evergreen Museum is cool. If you get a chance to check out Tillamook OR, the Blimp hangars there are pretty neat also.

Hope you have a great trip and I want to see lots of pictures. :D

Barb

Have a GREAT time man!! Looking foreward to hearng about it! Whats your tail #? Will track.

Last edited:
Kent my internet was down have you left yet.

Dan

Attachments

• DSCN1434 (Medium).JPG
    DSCN1434 (Medium).JPG
    64.5 KB · Views: 16
Kent, this sounds like a great trip! Are you going to file so we can live vicariously through follow your experiences? Are you taking your favorite 182, N231G?

Kent, this sounds like a great trip! Are you going to file so we can live vicariously through follow your experiences? Are you taking your favorite 182, N231G?

That would be N271G. It's a nice cross country platform. I can't imagine Kent doing it in any other plane. :)

I just noticed there is a big old ugly firefighting TFR covering your planned "road through Yellowstone" route:

Grrrr. Well, it only goes up to 13,000 so maybe I'll just go over the top - That would be one heck of a view! :goofy:

If you land at Upton 83V keep the nose up. It is made of soft shale and according to the guys at Torrington it is hard on props. I already have my share of nicks in my prop, so I opted out of landing there. The approaches are open, the runway looks like a giant hill of mine tailings.

Wilco! I'm also hoping to claim "Gravelly Valley" in CA. I'll definitely be taking a closer look before I actually land. I've done gravel once in the 182, managed to keep it out of the prop AFAIK, with a very slow application of power.

I'm going to be jealous if you get to land at Henry's Lake U53. I was hoping to land there but was being chased by a thunderstorm at the time. I wish you better luck! :cheerswine:

Thanks! That's another one of those airports that I've gone almost right past, but it was just over the hill and I couldn't see it from the road. So, gotta land there. :yes:

Have a GREAT time man!! Looking foreward to hearng about it! Whats your tail #? Will track.

N271G, though I don't know how well you'll really be able to track me. I'll hopefully be VFR for all of the pretty parts (ie most of the trip), and often not on flight following for the rest, as I doubt I'll be in radar coverage for large portions of the trip.

That would be N271G. It's a nice cross country platform. I can't imagine Kent doing it in any other plane. :)

Me neither. :)

Back