Planning flight FRG-LDJ

orange

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
Orange
I'm planning a flight from FRG (Farmingdale, NY) to LDJ (Linden, NJ) to pick up a friend.

This will be my first flight into a GA airport that's within class Bravo airspace.

My question is: Do I need to talk to approach or simply stay under the bravo (TPA is 799-to stay under 800 Bravo floor)? Suggestions?

Thanks in advance

Most likely they will keep you 500 or below south of JFK or have you go out further over the water and stay below 1500. Getting into LDJ I would plan on EWR keeping you low getting in the area.You can always request Class B. But from my experience I wouldn’t count on it.

You could depart FRG head southwest to you get to Jones Beach, head west.. Then start your decent down to 500ft. Duck under the Bravo by JFK, continuing towards Rockaway Beach. After you pass Rockaway beach area and clear of the 500ft ceiling for the bravo, climb to 1500ft and then continue west to Linden. You should be able to coordinate all this with FRG Tower and get handed off to Approach.

This is the shortest route, but will put you over water, not sure how comfortable you are with that.

You could depart FRG head southwest to you get to Jones Beach, head west.. Then start your decent down to 500ft. Duck under the Bravo by JFK, continuing towards Rockaway Beach. After you pass Rockaway beach area and clear of the 500ft ceiling for the bravo, climb to 1500ft and then continue west to Linden. You should be able to coordinate all this with FRG Tower and get handed off to Approach.

This is the shortest route, but will put you over water, not sure how comfortable you are with that.

FRG tower isn’t that accommodating.

FRG tower isn’t that accommodating.

They were nice to me when I was working out of that airport for a few days, for sure get flight following, and it never hurts to ask for clearance through the bravo at XYZ altitude.

Biggest factor I'd see is this is its a flight well inside commie occupied territory

Bring a sidearm and plenty of hand sanitizer, if your friend from NJ is indigenous to that place I'd also ask that bring his records to show he's had all his shots, as well as a permission slip from his government owner, remeber he might panic and try to bite once you take off, this is natural for the commie, there are not used to freedom, especially the freedom of GA, they often act with violence and fear when let out of their cages. ;)

Fry direct jfk direct linden ,get flight following and permission to fly class B. New York can be accommodating,if they think you know what your doing. They will even recommend an altitude.

Thanks for all the help. I was planning to get FF and ask for Bravo clearance but not expecting to get it.

If not, I'll stay under the Bravo by JFK then climb to 1400 (under 15) and hug the coast up to Coney Island then turn west by VZ to try to avoid as much water as possible, and head west following the Newark Bravo 2nd ring (staying to the left of it at 1400) until I'm directly south of the airport. Drop to 750 and either join left DW for 27 or right base for 09. Or a straight in for 09? Will that p*** off the locals? :cool:

Thanks for all the help. I was planning to get FF and ask for Bravo clearance but not expecting to get it.

If not, I'll stay under the Bravo by JFK then climb to 1400 (under 15) and hug the coast up to Coney Island then turn west by VZ to try to avoid as much water as possible, and head west following the Newark Bravo 2nd ring (staying to the left of it at 1400) until I'm directly south of the airport. Drop to 750 and either join left DW for 27 or right base for 09. Or a straight in for 09? Will that p*** off the locals? :cool:

You got it! Easy Peasy...Call up Kennedy tower before you hit the Jones Beach Inlet, transition at 500’ or belowwith Kennedy. Punch out at Breezy and fly your above route int KLDJ.

Ive flown this route many times, being based at both FRG and LDJ. Good Luck, safe flying...

I'm doing this route on Saturday. This will be my first time into an un-towered airport. I've done it a handful of times with a CFI (during training). I know the call outs and all so that's not an issue, but on the ground, when taxiing a tower will control flow of traffic so planes aren't on the same taxiway facing each other. How does that work in un-towered after you land or when you are getting ready to taxi to depart? Do you announce what taxiway you are taking and to where? Is it a lot of informal conversations between pilots? It's going to be mid-day on a sunny Saturday in mid-May. I assume it will be a little busy. LOL

TIA

I'm doing this route on Saturday. This will be my first time into an un-towered airport. I've done it a handful of times with a CFI (during training). I know the call outs and all so that's not an issue, but on the ground, when taxiing a tower will control flow of traffic so planes aren't on the same taxiway facing each other. How does that work in un-towered after you land or when you are getting ready to taxi to depart? Do you announce what taxiway you are taking and to where? Is it a lot of informal conversations between pilots? It's going to be mid-day on a sunny Saturday in mid-May. I assume it will be a little busy. LOL

TIA

As a NYC guy you sure you're not going to freak out since you won't have some type of authority figure telling you want to do ;)

But no, just announce before you take off, and it's best always to just view the radio as a conversation, people who take it too seriously often get nervous and make more mistakes and are afraid to say the "wrong thing" and don't talk when they should.

Here's my default for non towered ops

I check the AWOS and monitor CTAF from 10 minutes out, and make a call 5 minutes out with where I am and that I'm inbound

"Bumfuk traffic, Airplane 123 is 12 miles west, inbound for a straight in/downwind/base/whatever RWY 1"

I'll make a call when I'm downwind

I'll make a call when I'm on final

Leaving,

"Bumfuk traffic airplane 123 departing runway 1"

I'll keep monitoring CTAF till I'm 10+ miles away

If anyone say anything, just communicate with them and coordinate

"Money, aircraft 123, seems you're faster you go ahead for final and I'll be behind you"

Or

" landing Cessna, i have you in sight and will hold for you to land"

Or

"Cessna on 10 miles final, mind if I depart infront of you"

Is there some weird traffic pattern at Linden due to proximity to Newark? TPA is 799 (under the 800 Newark bottom shelf), and even though the traffic pattern is a regular left pattern according to the sectional, I heard that some people choose to do a right pattern for 09 to avoid getting in the way of Newark traffic. I'm no navigation expert but a plane flying a left pattern for 27 and a plane flying a right pattern for 09 could potentially end up head-on. :eek:

Can anybody who has flown into Linden confirm this?

Last edited:
Is there some weird traffic pattern at Linden due to proximity to Newark? TPA is 799 (under the 800 Newark bottom shelf), and even though the traffic pattern is a regular left pattern according to the sectional, I heard that some people choose to do a right pattern for 09 to avoid getting in the way of Newark traffic.

Can anybody who has flown into Linden confirm this?

Do NOT fly a opposite direction pattern, that's against the FARs and also a bad idea over all, especially down there.

TPA on the other hand isn't regulatory, just fly a lower pattern, if it were me I'd probably just fly it tight and at 500'.

when taxiing a tower will control flow of traffic so planes aren't on the same taxiway facing each other. How does that work in un-towered after you land or when you are getting ready to taxi to depart?

I think that avoiding nose to nose conflicts is a natural consequence of everyone using the same runway. All ground traffic moves in the same directions. Towards the take-off end of the runway and back from the opposite end. Planes that land short of full length merge into the flow back towards the take-off end.

There are spots where traffic conflicts are more common. For example aircraft leaving the ramp can conflict with aircraft entering the ramp. In some cases the ramp entryway is wide enough to accommodate the two. In cases where it isn't, one always holds back to let the other pass (I know, hard to believe in this courtesy happens near NYC, but it does).

Be careful about pattern altitude. There are structures close to the approaches (particularly of Rwy 09) that seem awfully close even at 750 ft or so TPA.

TIA

It’s left traffic for both runways. If landing 27 pick up the 45 degree entry at Rahway Prison (Domed Bldg) proceed towards the water tower and land fill, turn downwind, base, final. If landing 9, pick up he downwind as you cross over from Staten Island or if coming around south west of the field, over fly and turn to the left downwind. Try and keep it tight and at TPA, as that’s the side that butts EWR’s airspace.

Believe me its easy, watch out for helicopter Ops, I was based there for 5 years.

Back