Planning a true Cross Country flight

You must burn a lot more oil than I do. I always have a quart in the plane, but only need to add it about every 10-15hours.

When do you plan to be in the Dayton area? acro is right you will not be landing at the base unless you like armed company. I19, I73 and KMGY would all work for the museum tour. Rental cars are easier to get at KMGY probably. If the timing is right I could shuttle you to the museum.

Thanks for the offer! Plan is to land in Dayton on August 17th, but that'll depend on how the weather treats us from CA to Chicago.

Hmmm 17rh is a work day for me but stay in touch

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk

If you stop in Omahaish LOL stop at KMLE in Millard. FBO is under new management and very nice and cool people. If you stop, give me a shot out. I work in the hotel industry and if its an over night I can get you a really cheap rate, plus I can pick you up and show you around.

You should fly to KCRE (Grand Strand, Myrtle Beach), its North Myrtle.. $12 landing fee or 12+ gallons waives the fee. Very friendly staff and you can borrow the crew car for up to 2 hours. Walking distance from the beach and Joes Crab Shack is only a 5 minute drive down the road... try it! Only about 8nm north of Myrtle International.

Hmmm 17rh is a work day for me but stay in touch

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk

If you stop in Omahaish LOL stop at KMLE in Millard. FBO is under new management and very nice and cool people. If you stop, give me a shot out. I work in the hotel industry and if its an over night I can get you a really cheap rate, plus I can pick you up and show you around.

See this is why this place is great. Everyone may go off on tangents and argue about minutia, but whenever someone posts up about going somewhere there's always someone ready to help em out and help make the trip a great one.

Thanks guys!

You should fly to KCRE (Grand Strand, Myrtle Beach), its North Myrtle.. $12 landing fee or 12+ gallons waives the fee. Very friendly staff and you can borrow the crew car for up to 2 hours. Walking distance from the beach and Joes Crab Shack is only a 5 minute drive down the road... try it! Only about 8nm north of Myrtle International.

I noticed that, but wasn't sure which airport would be better. This will be one of our overnight stops and we'd like to be able to walk around and experience the city a little, as well as be close to a hotel. It looked like KMYR was right in the middle of things with a ton of resorts and hotels nearby, but I know nothing about the area so if you have a better suggestion I'm all ears.

If you decide to fly through Central TX, there are a few airports with low fuel prices, food nearby and a hotel next to the airport. Danhagan already pointed out T82 which is an awesome place. If you choose maybe T74 (Taylor), they have a regular Best Western nextdoor, cheap fuel and a food place too. We fly there maybe once a week for a dinner and 100LL. :) So if you visit, let us know ahead of time, we can do a big PoA dinner!

It moves to some extent, but one thing is for certain: it never comes to any of the airports in the Hampton Roads area!

Yeah it does, Suffolk was $4.29 and Wakefield was $4.23 yesterday. :yes::yes::yes: All Self Service if that's not a problem...:dunno:.

When I went to wright-Patterson we flew into KDAY. No big deal. Just make sure the FBO is open when you want to leave. We had to climb the fence!

I noticed that, but wasn't sure which airport would be better. This will be one of our overnight stops and we'd like to be able to walk around and experience the city a little, as well as be close to a hotel. It looked like KMYR was right in the middle of things with a ton of resorts and hotels nearby, but I know nothing about the area so if you have a better suggestion I'm all ears.

I agree, having a hotel within walking distance saves $ that makes up for a higher fuel price: no rental car or taxi,. I wish airnav had a search or selection criteria based on distances of hotels.

If you need a fuel stop with low prices, multiple runways, and nice amenities in West Texas, I suggest KSNK (Winston Field, Snyder) or E11 (Andrews County, Andrews). Stay clear of Midland/Odessa, or you'll get ramp fees and much higher fuel prices. Also, if you fly to Carlsbad, NM, I suggest veering southward to take in Guadalupe Peak, which is the highest point in Texas, just barely across the NM border. It's a spectacular sight, as it juts skyward almost 9,000 with flat desert terrain all around.

Well the time is drawing near. We are scheduled to depart on the 14th, only problem is that I have my CPL checkride scheduled for the 15th. I'm hoping to get that moved up a couple days, but so far I haven't been able to find anyone willing to accept a bribe to swap dates. In any case we will be leaving sometime in the next 7 days. I'll do my best to document the trip and share with the class along the way.

Went to AGC today. Exceptionally nice. Club car for as long as I wanted it today. Waived landing fee since I topped off the car (and didn't fuel the plane). Very friendly, cute counter girl, too.

Back