Planes with easy access

Ask around and you're likely the find someone that will take you and your dad for a ride.

Wiregoat, I see you're in SW Missouri, I'm in NE Oklahoma. If you can't find a Cardinal owner nearby I'd be happy to fly up sometime if you want to see if a Cardinal up close to see if it would work for you.

I don't have an significant arthritis issues, but being of a particular age, I am around several people who do. Any airplane that his dad has to step up some kind of step to get into, including a C-172, would be difficult. Those advocating a C-177 have the right idea. Turn sideways and sit down, then swing your legs in.

In case anyone cared, I ended up getting my PPL and took my Dad for a flight in 172SP. We used a small folding step stool to get him up there. It is now going to be a part of my flight kit. The back seat was much easier to get into for him. He did wonder why I was poking so many holes in the wing when I was checking the 50 or so sumps.

I was going to suggest a Breezy, or some other open plane.

Hello all. First time poster. My father has pretty severe arthritis. He can barely bend any joints, but, he is looking forward to flying with me. He can sit in my Jeep Cherokee pretty easily but then I have to pick up his legs and tuck him in. What aircraft would have the access we need to tuck him in there? I am about to take my check ride for my sport pilot license. However, my instructor believes I would have already been finished if I had gone for my private pilot license. I have been training on a tail-dragger that is tougher to fly than the Piper Cherokees the school has. So what is the easiest plane for some of you old-timers to get in and out of?

I trained several paraplegics in Cherokees. They hoisted themselves from their wheelchairs onto the wing, then using upper body strength moved their torsos into the cabin, pulling their legs behind them. Not pretty, but it worked.

Bob

Good to hear you were able to get your dad up in the air...!!! How did he like the flight.??

And yes, there are lots of planes that carry a small folding step stool.

Good to hear you were able to get your dad up in the air...!!! How did he like the flight.??

And yes, there are lots of planes that carry a small folding step stool.
He loved it. Thanks

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

The SP model has an absurd number of sumps. 5 per wing.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

One to drain the tank. Four for the lawyers.

You'll discover it was good preparation for when you step up to a 182. ;)

Great to hear you got your Dad in the air.

A Cardinal has the best access in the Cessna stable.

Back