Planes that don't fit in 40' tee hangars?

schmookeeg

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
Mike Brannigan
Hello,

Through strange circumstance and irish heritage bestowing some luck, I am about to purchase a condo T hangar. I've only ever rented hangar space before.

The hangar is a 44' tee. I recall there being certain planes (DA42? others?) who can't hangar in a standard 40 footer, and need those extra few feet. Is there a list of these I can find somewhere? info I keep running across is spotty at best.

My idea is, should I ever sell the plane, I would be sub-leasing the hangar, and wanted to know who is looking for this sort of size.

Cheers for any ideas :D

- Mike

The Tee hangars I've rented had slide open doors that opened 100%. Have a friend with a DA40 with 6 inches each side to fit. Always looks dicey when moving it in/out. I considered a DA-40 once, but the insurance was 3x a 182 for the same hull value. Insurance company said they factor in the high probability of wing tip hangar rash and complexity of fixing composites.

a 747 will definitely not fit either

Perfect size for a Malibu/M350.

The Tee hangars I've rented had slide open doors that opened 100%. Have a friend with a DA40 with 6 inches each side to fit. Always looks dicey when moving it in/out. I considered a DA-40 once, but the insurance was 3x a 182 for the same hull value. Insurance company said they factor in the high probability of wing tip hangar rash and complexity of fixing composites.

And the other "common" single that gets tight is the Cirrus, listed as 38'4", close when you're alone, after dark, etc., but do-able.

There's a 414 on the field that barely fits. The tip tanks are a bit scratched. The list above is great and shows 1" to spare for that one and I believe it LOL!

But you didn't mention depth of the T-hangar. The same 414 probably has 2" to spare before the tail hits the wall and the door had to be modified to open high enough. If I was buying a hangar I would measure the door opening height as well. We recently bought a hangar and had to adjust the door travel up 9" to fit a 182 tail for the worst case of low or deflated nose strut. Our rental hangar has like 3ft to spare!

Back