Planes in Storms

HPNFlyGirl

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
iBrookieMonster
Man...we are getting hammered right now. I go outside to checkout the lightening and I look up and see a plane flying along. I hope those people make it to where they are going safely.

I am not IR yet, but I wonder why people fly in weather like this? :dunno:

Attachments

• doppler1-640x480.jpg
    doppler1-640x480.jpg
    103.6 KB · Views: 91
Man...we are getting hammered right now. I go outside to checkout the lightening and I look up and see a plane flying along. I hope those people make it to where they are going safely.

They want to be famous and get their name in the paper.:no:

Dan

XM weather, of course!!!

(Just kidding)

I'd fly in weather like this...in a F22 or similar :goofy: Easy enough to get above the weather. Though the SIGMET also calls for hail, which might damage the stealth paint a bit...

Sad thing that this TS will most likely be gone in a few hours. Why risk it?

Brook, last week we had low ceilings and rain showers all around the house. I had just stepped outside to get the mail out of the box by the driveway when I hear this airplane sound, not the engine noise, but the airframe noise like when you're on the ground standing near the runway watching planes land. I look up in the direction of the sound and surprisingly I see a Piper Cherokee drop out of a cloud base and then I hear him throttle up and continue southbound. He must have been less than 1000' above the ground when he broke out. I could see his N numbers but not long enough to make them out.

I doubt he was on an IFR flight plan.

Wow...scarey stuff. Wonder if it was the pilot they are talking about over at the red board who is flying in the clouds and only a VFR pilot.

That looks manageable to me. Of course I can't say if I would takeoff anywhere near there without a better picture of the weather. But based on the radar alone its not too bad--just don't fly into a red/yellow cell.

That looks manageable to me. Of course I can't say if I would takeoff anywhere near there without a better picture of the weather. But based on the radar alone its not too bad--just don't fly into a red/yellow cell.

Based on my experience, you gotta go beyond just red/yellow. You really need to watch the picture over a period of time and see the movement. Sometimes green will turn yellow by the time you get there.... and sometimed yellow will die off by the time you get there. Lightning detection is invaluable in addition to the radar.

The best tool is building experience in a general geographic area. In the east and midwest, cells tend to move. In the west (AZ/NM) they often just rain themselves out without a ton of movement.

Based on my experience, you gotta go beyond just red/yellow. You really need to watch the picture over a period of time and see the movement. Sometimes green will turn yellow by the time you get there.... and sometimed yellow will die off by the time you get there. Lightning detection is invaluable in addition to the radar.
Of course, the storm is dynamic and constantly changing. The colors on the radar don't exactly tell the entire story. I've flown through green without getting the airplane wet and I've seen yellow with sprinkles. I've also seen green that I won't get near. I'm always VFR--which means I'm not going to be entering any sort of cloud.

The main thing for me is to have a constant VFR escape route. If I think there is any chance I'll get stuck in something I'll go elsewhere.

As someone whose house was right in the middle of the red, when it came over, let me clarify:

In this case, RED meant RED. :eek:

As someone whose house was right in the middle of the red, when it came over, let me clarify:

In this case, RED meant RED. :eek:

OMG THIS IS THE 1ST TIME WE HAVE EVER AGREED ON ANYTHING!!!!! :hairraise:

Sorry the dogs don't like storms. Mine didn't either.

no, it isn't...

we both enjoyed the bbq's, right?

we both enjoyed the trip to Okracoke, right?

we both think I'm wonderful, righ... oh, wait... that's just me. :redface:

:D

Back