Plane Xtreme

LOL!! We often wonder the same thing! and yes, I am David Doble...also Stuart Mills is on here who appears on episode 3 and will appear next week on episode 4

Glad to have you hear David.

If you ever find yourself in the D/FW area, let us know... we got a pretty good gang that link up occasionally for dinner and your being here would be a nice opportunity to put on the feed bag.

Oh, and bring some of your beer too.

The Weather Channel funded 4 - 30 minute episodes. If the 4 episodes do well as far as ratings, they will fund an entire season...so please watch the show!!

I enjoyed the first two episodes and have the DVR all set up to catch any others that may come along. Good luck with it.

LOL!! We often wonder the same thing! and yes, I am David Doble...also Stuart Mills is on here who appears on episode 3 and will appear next week on episode 4

Who manages your restaurant for you when you do the deliveries.

What happend to the two Cessna's in Miami?

My favorite so far has been the Flying Wild Alaska.

What kind of communcations system do you have with the base in Wimama that the owner could give you instant weather?

I just finished watching The 2 episodes that I had DVR'd. Fantastic show. I hope you all get to keep doing it. It would love to get a chance to do a flight like that.

Cheers

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Who manages your restaurant for you when you do the deliveries.

What happend to the two Cessna's in Miami?

My favorite so far has been the Flying Wild Alaska.

What kind of communcations system do you have with the base in Wimama that the owner could give you instant weather?

Tampa Bay Brewing Company has seen unbelievable growth this past year and a half. At this point we have a GM, KM, my mother oversees the FOH / BOH operations and I solely take care of the brewhouse operations with 3 brewers under my leadership. When I take off for a delivery, I set up my guys with all the necessary supplies and a work schedule so beer production continues in my absence and of course I always a phone call away while on the ground.

Episode 4 Monday Oct. 29 will be the delivery of one of the Caravans that were being worked on in Miami. It was the 208 with the broken prop that I tried to pick up in Curacoa on episode 2. Man, that airplane was tough due to its neglected condition. However, the customer in Nairobi has a full mx facility and he plans on doing a full restoration on the aircraft. What's great is that the aircraft is slated for medivac flights in Sudan...they need it! The other caravan is still in Miami waiting for the wing to be repaired.

Comm with home base is via satellite phone when one is available.

Glad to have you hear David.

If you ever find yourself in the D/FW area, let us know... we got a pretty good gang that link up occasionally for dinner and your being here would be a nice opportunity to put on the feed bag.

Oh, and bring some of your beer too.

Cheers! that would be great. The only time I stop in DFW is when we have the rare Pacific crossing. I love those flights! The Pacific route usually consists of a Hawaii overnight, then Majuro, and then after that depending on where the final destination is...my favorite stop so far heading west is Palau. If you love scuba diving and beer, you'll love Palau!

Tampa Bay Brewing Company has seen unbelievable growth this past year and a half. At this point we have a GM, KM, my mother oversees the FOH / BOH operations and I solely take care of the brewhouse operations with 3 brewers under my leadership. When I take off for a delivery, I set up my guys with all the necessary supplies and a work schedule so beer production continues in my absence and of course I always a phone call away while on the ground.

Episode 4 Monday Oct. 29 will be the delivery of one of the Caravans that were being worked on in Miami. It was the 208 with the broken prop that I tried to pick up in Curacoa on episode 2. Man, that airplane was tough due to its neglected condition. However, the customer in Nairobi has a full mx facility and he plans on doing a full restoration on the aircraft. What's great is that the aircraft is slated for medivac flights in Sudan...they need it! The other caravan is still in Miami waiting for the wing to be repaired.

Comm with home base is via satellite phone when one is available.

Can we order some of your beer? I loves me some IPA!

Can we order some of your beer? I loves me some IPA!

Our current facility is pretty small. We only produce enough beer to supply the Tampa Bay area but who knows what the future holds! We have been kicking around some business plans for a larger production facility in the near future...we'll see what happens. When I ferry, I always have an amply supply to pass out to people who would like to try some...so who knows maybe we'll cross paths. Cheers! always great to talk to another IPA drinker. I actually just kegged up a beer for off-premise called Midnight crossing. Check it out on www.draftbeertoyourface.com The picture associated with the beer is not correct, I still need to get our web guy a proper picture of it...Cheers!

I'll keep watching for sure, as I'm definitely enjoying the show. It's actually been my favorite of the aviation shows so far, with Ice Pilots in a close second, followed by Flying Wild Alaska in the rear, although I really enjoyed all 3 of them.

With regard to the flying in bad weather thing -- I think that part of the show has been one of the most interesting elements, and I don't see it as a negative for GA. First, it's been appropriately beat into everyone's head in GA and particularly pilots in training (like myself) that staying away from such weather is priority #1 in flying. Because of that, I watch it with a fascination at what you guys have to do, rather than an example of what I or anyone else should do. So basically in the same way I watched that Felix Baumgartner dude fall from space -- good for him, that was fun to watch, but no way that's going to be me. Second, you combine the bad weather thing with good decision-making, like your decision to turn around, or the guys in episode 3 heeding the advice of ATC to turn around and land. Third, my GF is no pilot but plans to be stuck in a plane with me on a regular basis once I have my PPL, and she is even liking the show. She actually even requested to watch it the other night (usually I have to twist her arm)! She understands that the flying through thunderstorms thing is not what we'll be doing (absent terrible judgment on my part) and she considers you guys crazy for doing it, but enjoys watching the drama of it. Also, my GF she gets a kick out of the owner and the other "characters" on the show. :D So, point being, the "dangerous flying" element is not impacting her opinion of GA, and hopefully the general audience understands its only the dramatic flare of the show and not necessarily what every small aircraft is experiencing every time it leaves land.

Anyways, my two cents.

Cheers! Thanks for the support. Your perspective is how we saw it too

Thanks for participating on the forum Dave, and good luck with the show. It's been on at my house too. I'm a beginning student pilot and enjoy taking in the flying part of the show. As for the drama that the producers try to heighten, that's what the fast-forward button is for on my DVR. :D

Tampa Bay Brewing Company has seen unbelievable growth this past year and a half. At this point we have a GM, KM, my mother oversees the FOH / BOH operations and I solely take care of the brewhouse operations with 3 brewers under my leadership.

Good deal. I enjoyed the show. A friend of a friend is the kicker for the tampa bay bucs and invited a group of us to come down for a game. I'll definitely be in the mood for an IPA.

Dave,

I too am enjoying the show! How recently were the episodes filmed? And you obviously are using cameras mounted in the cabin in-flight, as opposed to a production crew member which would likely not be considered essential crew on a ferry flight. :nono: Are the cameras running continuously throughout the flight, or do you turn them off and on when commenting?

Dave,

I too am enjoying the show! How recently were the episodes filmed? And you obviously are using cameras mounted in the cabin in-flight, as opposed to a production crew member which would likely not be considered essential crew on a ferry flight. :nono: Are the cameras running continuously throughout the flight, or do you turn them off and on when commenting?

All of the episodes are extremely recent. The Curacoa trip began in March with Episode taking place end of August beginning of September. As yes you are correct, film crew is not considered essential crew so the plane is rigged with multiple cameras plus a portable camera. The mounted cameras have massive hard drive type devices to record roughly 12 hours each. Each camera also has triggers to film the more interesting portions of the flights. The production company sends camera crews forward of the flights to preselected stops to film arrival, departures, and genreal scenes out and about. The producer informed us that if the series were to be picked up for a full season they were exploring the possibility of partnering with Sanborne Studios to modify an aircraft with gyro stabilized cameras as a chase plane to film real time air to air shots during the flight...that would be incredible! We'll see what happens...are you a ferry pilot by any chance?

All of the episodes are extremely recent. The Curacoa trip began in March with Episode taking place end of August beginning of September. As yes you are correct, film crew is not considered essential crew so the plane is rigged with multiple cameras plus a portable camera. The mounted cameras have massive hard drive type devices to record roughly 12 hours each. Each camera also has triggers to film the more interesting portions of the flights. The production company sends camera crews forward of the flights to preselected stops to film arrival, departures, and genreal scenes out and about. The producer informed us that if the series were to be picked up for a full season they were exploring the possibility of partnering with Sanborne Studios to modify an aircraft with gyro stabilized cameras as a chase plane to film real time air to air shots during the flight...that would be incredible! We'll see what happens...are you a ferry pilot by any chance?

Great Stuff:

Is your brewery near Ybor City?

Hayden was not a nice team player!!

Dave (fastair5), Really enjoying the show. Gotta ask....which has the better beer?

Tampa Bay Brewing Company or Aviator Brewing Company? :wink2:

I've known your brother for quite awhile. He alerted the local flyers about your upcoming show. Hot Rod Red is my current favorite of his!

==
Michael
Sonex N293SX

Dave (fastair5), Really enjoying the show. Gotta ask....which has the better beer?

Tampa Bay Brewing Company or Aviator Brewing Company? :wink2:

I've known your brother for quite awhile. He alerted the local flyers about your upcoming show. Hot Rod Red is my current favorite of his!

==
Michael
Sonex N293SX

Hi Michael...honestly, we both have incredible beers! My family has many years of in depth beer drinking / professional brewing experience. I've actually been handing out Aviator cans around Tampa, people are loving the beer! I actually managed to get a camera crew at Aviator brewery and the tap house for episode 4 but there was just too much good stuff for that particular episode so unfortunately, aviator didn't make the final cut. I was really bummed. Another interesting thing that didn't make episode 4 was a laser beam incident on approach into Dubrovnik. I had a green laser beam accurately shining into the cockpit and hitting my face for about 30-40 seconds. It even showed up on the cockpit cameras...oh well, maybe we'll get hour long shows for the ful season to show more of the good stuff. Cheers! I actually might be at Aviator on Sunday or Monday, I have another delivery to Kenya next week

Dave; As said before, thanks for your participation on the forum! It's nice to gain your perspective of what we saw on the broadcast.

Be sure to post stories and photos of your trip to Kenya!

All of the episodes are extremely recent. The Curacoa trip began in March with Episode taking place end of August beginning of September. As yes you are correct, film crew is not considered essential crew so the plane is rigged with multiple cameras plus a portable camera. The mounted cameras have massive hard drive type devices to record roughly 12 hours each. Each camera also has triggers to film the more interesting portions of the flights. The production company sends camera crews forward of the flights to preselected stops to film arrival, departures, and genreal scenes out and about. The producer informed us that if the series were to be picked up for a full season they were exploring the possibility of partnering with Sanborne Studios to modify an aircraft with gyro stabilized cameras as a chase plane to film real time air to air shots during the flight...that would be incredible!
Thanks for the detailed info! That's very interesting.
We'll see what happens...are you a ferry pilot by any chance?

Nope...just a low-time private pilot who finds the whole concept fascinating. Definitely looking forward to more episodes!

Show is terrible for GA. Bad airplanes and bad weather. Always about to die, going to scare the bejeeebers out of the women folk. If you have a wife that isn't particularly fond of flying try not to let her see the show. Saw two episodes looks like they are all going to be the same. Man gets in dodgy airplane, flies through dodgy weather, deals with corrupt customs in dodgy country, rather rinse repeat.

I am a girl. I flew because of an aviation show (Flying Wild Alaska). Full of bad / crazy weather.

I also watch Ice Pilots which is always bad weather, engine failures mid flight, planes stranding people, etc.

But I'm fond of flying (or so I've been told).

Hi Michael...honestly, we both have incredible beers! My family has many years of in depth beer drinking / professional brewing experience. I've actually been handing out Aviator cans around Tampa, people are loving the beer! I actually managed to get a camera crew at Aviator brewery and the tap house for episode 4 but there was just too much good stuff for that particular episode so unfortunately, aviator didn't make the final cut. I was really bummed. Another interesting thing that didn't make episode 4 was a laser beam incident on approach into Dubrovnik. I had a green laser beam accurately shining into the cockpit and hitting my face for about 30-40 seconds. It even showed up on the cockpit cameras...oh well, maybe we'll get hour long shows for the ful season to show more of the good stuff. Cheers! I actually might be at Aviator on Sunday or Monday, I have another delivery to Kenya next week

After another pilot asking if you are ever near DFW I just have to ask:

How about SFO? You're probably never here either.....

After another pilot asking if you are ever near DFW I just have to ask:

How about SFO? You're probably never here either.....

When we fly the Pacific, we usually launch out of Oakland International. We land, drink beer (incredible beer on west coast), rest, load the plane with an insane amount fuel, and then perform the drag your rear end over the bay just missing the golden gate one departure. Also, the Craft Brewers Conference seems to end up out there frequently. So, I would say I end up in Oakland about once every other year. Cheers!

I did some Ferry pilot work a while ago. I really enjoyed it, but it gets frustrating sometimes trying to work through all the problems that happen. I love the phrase "Airplane is ready to go when you get there!" Ha yea right. Anyway I had a good time doing it and it looks like you are having a good time also. I would love to get into doing some of those trips again.

And what good timing for the craft brewers convention? :yes:
I have got to get to that sometime.

I love making beer, never on your scale, but its fun. Hope you get a longer contract.

Cheers

Dave, how active is the African market? How frequently are you and the others going over there?

Dave, how active is the African market? How frequently are you and the others going over there?

Africa is purchasing aircraft like crazy. We have 2 caravans headed over is week and 1 more in 2 weeks. 2 to Kenya and 1 to Angola. Just heard last night that I might be flying a Meridian to Indonesia! That would be an awesome trip!

Dave: Whats the most dicey place you've flow in terms of personal safety ie I hope I get out of here in once piece without the plane being stripped of its wring.

Dave: Whats the most dicey place you've flow in terms of personal safety ie I hope I get out of here in once piece without the plane being stripped of its wring.

That's probably a better a question for Stuart Mills. I know he's had a dicey situation in the Congo (pretty sure it was the Congo) but as far as my ferries go...I've been shaken down in numerous nations on numerous trips and detained for 3 days in Angola but was lucky enough to be left alone in a room with a working cell phone to get local embassy involved...that was in 2007 (same flight that Lori Love was killed). Stuart Mills was jailed in Kenya for 3 days around 2009 for being a threat to national security. In the end, I can say that I have never felt that the aircraft was in jeapordy or that my life was in imminent danger while on the ground. With that said, me, Stuart, and someone else were enroute to China with 3 PA44s. While enroute from UAE to Sri Lanka we received a call in the Sat phone from Steve informing us that the Prime Minister was just shot by the Tamal Tigers and current information indicated that the airport we were landing at in a few hours was the next target. Well, india wouldn't allow us to land there so we only had enough fuel for Sri Lanka. We landed not knowing what to expect. We landed amongst dug in troops all over the field. When the customs agent asked for tip I told him we would trade tip for beer and food. So, there we were in the middle of an imminent asault on the airfield fueling our airplanes with a hand pump (3 hours per plane) drinking beer. but we still didn't feel too much of a threat. Ops normal until it ain't...Cheers!

Last edited:

After thinking about this for awhile, I did remember one trip that got me going as far as a ground based threat. I was flying a (dark grey) aircraft to Jordan in the Middle East. My route was over Cyprus, Lebannon, and then a sharp right turn once inland over syria towards Amman. While flying over Syria, they asked for my overflight clearance number. I gave them the clearance which they promptly replied that it was incorrect. i made a few more attempts to give them the number to no avail. Nighttime was just setting in and I was flying between 2 ridgelines...so, I decided to not answer radio calls, go dark, and drop a couple hundred feet below terrain so I could make the mad 15 minute dash to Jordanian airspace. I surely wasn't going to land in Syria with the aircraft I was in...Not sure if this qualifies but it got me going a bit. I landed in Amman with no further incident.

That's probably a better a question for Stuart Mills. I know he's had a dicey situation in the Congo (pretty sure it was the Congo) but as far as my ferries go...I've been shaken down in numerous nations on numerous trips and detained for 3 days in Angola but was lucky enough to be left alone in a room with a working cell phone to get local embassy involved...that was in 2007 (same flight that Lori Love was killed). Stuart Mills was jailed in Kenya for 3 days around 2009 for being a threat to national security. In the end, I can say that I have never felt that the aircraft was in jeapordy or that my life was in imminent danger while on the ground. With that said, me, Stuart, and someone else were enroute to China with 3 PA44s. While enroute from UAE to Sri Lanka we received a call in the Sat phone from Steve informing us that the Prime Minister was just shot by the Tamal Tigers and current information indicated that the airport we were landing at in a few hours was the next target. Well, india wouldn't allow us to land there so we only had enough fuel for Sri Lanka. We landed not knowing what to expect. We landed amongst dug in troops all over the field. When the customs agent asked for tip I told him we would trade tip for beer and food. So, there we were in the middle of an imminent asault on the airfield fueling our airplanes with a hand pump (3 hours per plane) drinking beer. but we still didn't feel too much of a threat. Ops normal until it ain't...Cheers!

There have been a couple times where I have felt like I was in a hostile environment. There was the time I parked a C208 on the wrong ramp in Kinshasa and had a bunch of unfriendly looking guys coming towards the plane. Without shutting down the engine I phoned my point of contact that was supposed to be meeting me. They quickly figured out where I was and sent the troops out to secure both me and the plane and ran off the unfriendlys with a show of force then I taxied of to the UN ramp that was surrounded with razor wire.
Another issue I had once was after picking up a C208 from a military air base in Qatar the plight planners on the base tried to use the military designator for the plane, which is a U24 but instead put down U2. So I was flying across Saudi Arabia and was told to divert and land at Jeddah. I tried very hard to convince them I was not in a spy plane but in the end they gave me the option of either divert or be shot down. It still took about three hours on the ground after landing before I was allowed to leave.
There are plenty more story's but Steve hall has the best. He survived being stood in front of a firing squad. The airport manager he was stood beside did not survive.

Dave and Stuart, these stories are just too good, they should be part of the series. Good stuff. I hope the pilots get picked up.

Crazy stuff!!! Very interesting. learned more about ferrying on site than on the show. This stuff should definitely be added to the series!!!

Another issue I had once was after picking up a C208 from a military air base in Qatar the plight planners on the base tried to use the military designator for the plane, which is a U24 but instead put down U2.

"Plight planners" indeed! :hairraise:

Awesome stories indeed, and probably things we would never be told under the guise of the normal TV episodes. Thanks again for taking part in the forum guys - best of luck to you personally and on the show...

Man, episode 4 was killer! I just wish they captured a little more the fatigue mixed in with some of the other factors but I guess it once again boils down to 50 hours of flying experienced in 22 min...also, I'm sure there might be some curiosity why a faulty fuel guage caused that much drama. The right tank is where we pump the ferry fuel to from the cabin tanks. I was being lazy and was not precisely tracking my fuel so when I realized the guage was not functioning properly I had to make the choice of landing short or taking the chance of either an imbalanced load from L to R (caravan has a 200lb max imbalance between L and R fuel tanks) or dumping fuel overboard. Although the Caravan limit is 200 lbs, I happen to know that it takes approximately 400-450 to obtain max travel in the ailerons...not good.

Last edited:
Back