Plane stuck at a jetway when power lost question

Discussion in 'Flight Following' started by tspear, Aug 17, 2018.

1. tspear

tspear Pattern Altitude PoA Supporter

Display Name:

Display name:
    Timothy
    So my daughter a few nights ago had just boarded a plane to come see me when the airport lost power. With no power, they stopped loading the plane.
    Then the backup generator, right near the front the plane caught on fire, so they evacuated that part of the terminal. Once the fire was out, the fire department would not let them deplane, and because there was no power, the jetway could not be moved. Because the jetway could not move, the plane was stuck.
    My question is, why is the plane stuck? Why could they have not have used a push truck to push the plane back?

Tim

2. mscard88

mscard88 Touchdown! Greaser!

Display Name:

Display name:
    Mark
    Because the jetway was right against the boarding door of the plane. Would you take a chance and possibly damage the plane?

I had that happen at CAK once, and they wanted to do what you suggest. I nixed that real quick as it would have been my ass too. They decided@ to wrap a chain around the jetway gear truck (the wheels) and used a front end loader to pull the jetway back from the jet. It worked and off we went.

3. A1Topgun

A1Topgun Pre-takeoff checklist

Display Name:

Display name:
    Ron
    Pushback will only take out the Pitot and AOA sensors on the left side. Isn't that why they have redundancy on the airliners?

4. slacktide

slacktide Line Up and Wait

Display Name:

Display name:
    Dan