Plane sold - Time for a Heli?

flyersfan31

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Freiburgfan31
The Sundowner sold on Friday. Now I'm back to being a regular 1 airplane guy.
However, my youngest (age 3) keeps agitating for a helicopter. She loves wearing her "helly" jammies, and had a grand old time visiting the American Helicopter Museum this weekend (and not for the first time!!!).

So I got to thinking - a Rotorway 2 person only takes about 300-400hrs to build. I could build and hangar it in our garage. The driveway is a nice size for a small chopper. Hmmmmmm. I watched a few episodes of "A Chopper is Born" on Discovery Wings - I could do that. Plus, my arrivals/departures would probably irritate the morons who live across the way who ride their stupid ATVs at all hours of the day. That would be worth a lot to me!!!:D

My wife just grimaced when I mentioned this plan, then said (and I quote), "You have got to be kidding."

Bob Bruneau has taken me up in his R22 and more recently his R44. (Thanks Bob!)

Helo flying does not resemble the kind of flying we fixed wing pilots do at all. Its a totally different and challenging form of ahhhh......flight. I would love to do it. I say go for it!

Before you take off from your driveway, there are a few things to consider.

The first is does your local government allow this? The few times I've landed on private property I called the local police and asked, they should know.

Second is do not plan on vertical ascents/descents to get in and out unless you're going to build a twin turbine. Each time you'd be betting your life the engine keeps running.

Other than that it sounds like a dream to me.

Joe

The laws really vary not only from state to state, but by town as well. For example, in New Jersey, you practically need an act of god to get approval for a helipad. Here in Pennsylvania, you can land virtually everywhere with the landowner's permission. Unless, and it's a big unless, local ordinances prohibit landings.

I'm a little leery of Rotorways... there have been issues raised about the robustness of the drive system, and also about insufficient tail rotor authority.

I agree with your point about vertical ascents/descents. It's one thing to do them occasionally when it's the only way in or out, it's something else to have to do them every flight. Still, there are very few serious accidents caused by mechanical failure in helicopters, especially when compared to running into wires, etc.

I advise him to go for it, but I admit to being biased :D

..... Still, there are very few serious accidents caused by mechanical failure in helicopters, especially when compared to running into wires, etc.
I agree the odds of a problem are very low but the stakes are very high.

I'll absolutely champion your idea of migrating to helicopters. It hurts airplane pilot's feelings when you say that flying helicopters is exponentially more fun than fixed-wing. But it's true.

Google RotorWay, and you'll find a lot of reasons not to go with a kit helicopter. Especially when a child is involved. Like you, I'm averse to continue spending $250/hr to rent an R22 so I'm still looking for a partner. But until RotorWay comes up with a certified ship I'll wait for a Robinson.

Yeah, I'm pretty much dreaming at this point. When the boss lady laughs, you know the plan is DOA. I did peruse the Rotorway site for grins, and all looked swell; subsequent Google searches put the company in a somewhat different light.

Plus, the build time would be deducted from my flying time. Who needs that???!!!!!!

I'll absolutely champion your idea of migrating to helicopters. It hurts airplane pilot's feelings when you say that flying helicopters is exponentially more fun than fixed-wing. But it's true.

As a friend of mine once put it: "Airplanes are for going places, helicopters are for having fun!".

He, like me, hasn't flown a fixed-wing in over a year...

As a friend of mine once put it: "Airplanes are for going places, helicopters are for having fun!".

He, like me, hasn't flown a fixed-wing in over a year...

One of my favorites: "Helicopters are for people who love to fly but don't have anywhere to go"

Joe

Back