Plane skids on snow, stops using their wing.

Good explanation in a post below the article.

"I’m an airline pilot that flew out of Chicago during this storm. What happened here was you have a contaminated runway, snow and ice with braking action advisories in effect, plus a strong gusty crosswind. After touchdown, the mostly likely cause was as the plane slowed and the rudder loses effectiveness you rely more on nose wheelsteering, but since the runway is slippery and you have a strong crosswind blowing on the tail, the plane will start to weather vane. The wind pushes the tail to the right and the nose goes left with the end result you see here. Since they had limited nose wheel steering due to the snow and ice covered runway you can’t overcome the wind pushing the tail around. I don’t want to second guess this crews decision, but I would think very hard about landing on a contaminated runway with a gusty strong crosswind. However, there were planes that landed ahead of this one with minimal issues."

Looking at the video, it seems possible that the pilot tried to turn off while still going too fast for the runway conditions. Seems like it would take a pretty hefty wind to cause an airliner full with passengers to yaw that much. But I don't know how strong the winds were. So, I certainly wouldn't rule that out.

Yes, and if you read it you will see that mine was posted first and that I included this link in the other post because it had more traction than this one. These things happen.

Yes, and if you read it you will see that mine was posted first and that I included this link in the other post because it had more traction than this one. These things happen.

Looks like he beat you by 4 hours and 40 minutes, hoss. It’s ok, you don’t sound like a whiny little precious thing. Honest.

Pretty sure I wasn't sounding like that (since I was the one actually typing my sentence) but if this is your day to start an issue, go on.

Back