"Plane Resurrection" Netflix show, and P-51 accident in England

NoHeat

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
If you've seen the TV series "Plane Resurrection" on Netflix, you've seen pilot Maurice Hammond, who restores and flies warbirds, based in the town of Eye, in England. The episodes were recorded in 2015. His daughter was also featured, as an engineer and pilot in Hammond's shop.

This isn't new news, but I just noticed that just a year later, in 2016, Hammond was involved in a fatal accident, in his P-51. He was flying his Mustang, with a passenger, and the passenger died.

In 2017 the AAIB investigatory report says that the plane hit a tree due to loss of control in a botched go-around, when there was a quartering cross-wind that gusted to 22 kts.

I enjoyed viewing the "Plane Resurrection" shows on Netflix recently, and probably like a lot of viewers I especially enjoyed Hammond and his daughter. You almost feel like you know them, after seeing so much of them in this show. After that, it was a surprise to read about the fatal crash.

Sad - I have seen that show and thought he knew more about rebuilding these old engines than almost anyone else out there. Probably not, but he was a great resource for the warbird community. Hopefully what he learned has been passed on and his shop will continue to help.

I just finished the 3rd episode, his was the 1st. Beautiful plane! I think the show touted one of his biggest contributions being his engine overhaul abilities.

Hate to hear he lost it. Cool series.

The second season of Plane Resurrection is in post production and should be released soon. It will feature mostly US based warbirds, as the first season was mainly British. Of course Nik Coleman the producer is British so makes sense.

IMG_7346.JPG Good story-telling, great video. Season two is, indeed, in post, and season three is shooting.

NCTV is also producing a feature-length documentary chronicling the discovery and restoration (and, ultimately, return to Normandy) of "That's All, Brother," the C47 that dropped the first paratroops for the D-Day invasion.

Back