Plane Ready From Annual

bstratt

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
Canuck
Just got the word that the plane's annual is finished and its ready for pick up. As two of my partners are busy, I got "volunteered" to pick it up tonight and fly it back, but at least it'll still be light. It's a 6 min flight but I'm always a little nervous after an annual.

Don't know the full cost yet but besides the $1,000 for the inspection they had to reseal one tank (minor seepage) and change a ball joint (u-joint??) on the left yoke.

After any work on the plane, don't plan to jump in and head back immediately. In addition to a thorough pre-flight it's good to really look at any work that was actually done. Think about what could occur if that part or repair didn't properly function and inspect accordingly. If everything looks good, plan on a simple test flight around the airport where you could return if need be. Check all the systems on takeoff and in flight for normal indications. Does the plane feel right? If so, depart the airport and head back at a reasonable altitude--leave yourself a little buffer (enough to deal with any issues which might arise).

I've had several issues discovered after work on the plane; none critical, but squawks I'd like to go back and get fixed right then. Some folks jump in and go. It usually leads to frustration. Repair folks are human and have good and bad days. It's much better to catch something before you get up in the air and wish you weren't. Also, if not your home field, much better to bring it back to be fixed then than make another trip (unless you want to).

Best,

Dave

Just got the price - $3,000 - I guess they had to pull the tank to reseal it - that was the biggest expense!

This is a bad month because the insurance also is due.

Ah the cost of flying! But at least I still tell my wife that as far as a midlife crisis goes, its cheaper than a mistress!!! :D

Besides staying over the departure airport for a few trips around the pattern...

The first year I got burned by the elevator trim setting. I guess the A&P runs the trim fully back to work on the cables. Since I can't see the trim setting too well due to my uh, flesh, I find out it's full nose up when I have to push on the yoke to keep the nose down.

I don't rush past that item on the checklist any more.

Good luck, Barry!

Hey Barry, were was the fuel seep and how did they fix it?
Ron
N4526T

Got it last night. One of my partners and I did a THOROUGH pre-flight, checking every cotter pin, hinge and lock nut. He went ahead of me and I checked after so it got two separate looks. Did a longer than normal run up on the ground. Took off and flew around the circuit a few times, first with wheels still down in case of a problem, then raised them for second and third circuit. Then departed and flew home. Nice to see it back in its hangar!

I've got an 11 page itemized bill.

The leak was in the left fuel tank. They removed the upper skin then "Removed tank, replaced gasket for fuel sender, replaced hoses for vent tubes, and reinstalled".

Bill came to $3,155.66 with the bigger items being:
Basic inspection $1,000
Replacing left main tire - $200
Fuel tank leak - $250
Oil pressure switch replaced - $75
Right hand elevator pulley replaced - $75
Replaced pilot side u-joint - $675
Replaced left and right aileron pulleys on upper control column - $200

bstratt said:

Don't know the full cost yet but besides the $1,000 for the inspection they had to reseal one tank (minor seepage) and change a ball joint (u-joint??) on the left yoke.

Next time don't give someone a blank check. Know what your costs will be in advance to avoid misunderstandings.

Gary Sortor said:
Next time don't give someone a blank check. Know what your costs will be in advance to avoid misunderstandings.

Gary, they didn't have a blank check so to speak. We have one partner who's in charge of maintenance. He was the one in daily contact with the shop. He lives close by and actually drove out to check on some of the items before okaying the repair. I just pay the bills which is why I didn't know all the details until I got the bill.

Back