Plane options

vkhosid

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
94V
Hey guys. So, I was just thinking about seriously thinking about possibly maybe looking into the concept of perhaps buying a plane. However, I have no idea were to start. So, the hope was that you would possible point me in the right direction.

Here's the background thus far. I've had my ticket for a little over a year now. In that year, I've just been flying a cessna140, 172, and a champ. Primarily, its been the 172. I live in the bay area, and I don't foresee myself flying any further than MAYYYYYBE 200NM from my home airport. As far as passengers go, I don't think i'll have more than 1, so a 2 seater would be just fine. Really, I was looking at something small and cheap. Something like a skyarrow or similar. Though quite honestly, I have no idea.

So, here I am, looking for suggestions. Or, if a more narrowed down path is needed for appropriate suggestions, ask away.

Thanks guys!

Since you speak tailwheel,

A Wittman would be perfect for you, inexpensive, VERY fast for the fuel burn, upgrade avionics are cheap if needed as its a exp, very crisp and fun handling, and you don't get the shame of being seen in a nose wheel ;)

Here's a few

.watermarked_0bad86f3cd5aea1d3fae4ecbbf6f0e31.jpg

WITTMAN • $25,000 • FOR SALE BY OWNER • wittman w-10 built 1997,2 hrs.flight time 160 hp h2ad engine with 2700tt never rebuilt. 840#ew. no radio or transp. n454gl earl luce knows plane • Contact Gary D. Loucks, Owner - located Hammondsport, NY USA • Telephone: 607-329-3327 . 607-292-3763 . • Fax: 607-292-3763 • Posted June 20, 2016

.watermarked_c1f35725d997d8edeb3d4f4cd9d5e23e.jpg

4 PLACE TAILWIND /FOUR RUNNER FOR SALE OR TRADE • 4 Place Tailwind, 1980 CF-4 Four-Runner, Lyc 0360 A4A, 400 TT A/E Calbie Wood / Steve Wittman Designed, W-10 Aluminum Wing with 50 Gal. Fuel, Rear Baggage, 170 Gear, Cleveland Wheels - Brakes, Spin-On Oil Filter, Nav / LED Landing Lights, Spacious Interior. Plenty of leg, head and shoulder room front and rear ! ( See August 1974 Sport Aviation article "The Wood CF-4 Four Runner" ) Trade for Clipwing Cub or Cash • Contact David R. Manske - ACUTEC, Owner - located Machesney Park, IL USA • Telephone: 815-312-6962 . •

Last edited:
Don't buy what you can easily rent. If Cessnas are easy for you to rent, don't buy a Cessna.

I'd buy a Citabria or a Super D

Don't buy what you can easily rent. If Cessnas are easy for you to rent, don't buy a Cessna.
I can rent a C172 easily enough, but what if I want to fly to monterey for a weekend. I wouldn't really be able to arrange that with the outfit I rent from. They're great people, but only have 2 172s that get used fairly heavily. They've always been more than fair to me when I rented from them, so I dont really want to take a plane from the for a weekend and only put 2 hours on in. Makes sense?

I can rent a C172 easily enough, but what if I want to fly to monterey for a weekend. I wouldn't really be able to arrange that with the outfit I rent from. They're great people, but only have 2 172s that get used fairly heavily. They've always been more than fair to me when I rented from them, so I dont really want to take a plane from the for a weekend and only put 2 hours on in. Makes sense?

Yes, but my point is that unless you have a real love for Cessnas (or PA28's if those are also easily rentable) you might be better off buying something more unique... unless A/P's well versed in non-Cessnas are hard to find in your area.

Yes, but my point is that unless you have a real love for Cessnas (or PA28's if those are also easily rentable) you might be better off buying something more unique... unless A/P's well versed in non-Cessnas are hard to find in your area.

Thats the other question. I was hoping to go the experimental route as well. So maintenance (to my understanding) can be done by myself.

Since you speak tailwheel,

A Wittman would be perfect for you, inexpensive, VERY fast for the fuel burn, upgrade avionics are cheap if needed as its a exp, very crisp and fun handling, and you don't get the shame of being seen in a nose wheel ;)

Here's a few

.watermarked_0bad86f3cd5aea1d3fae4ecbbf6f0e31.jpg

WITTMAN • $25,000 • FOR SALE BY OWNER • wittman w-10 built 1997,2 hrs.flight time 160 hp h2ad engine with 2700tt never rebuilt. 840#ew. no radio or transp. n454gl earl luce knows plane • Contact Gary D. Loucks, Owner - located Hammondsport, NY USA • Telephone: 607-329-3327 . 607-292-3763 . • Fax: 607-292-3763 • Posted June 20, 2016

.watermarked_c1f35725d997d8edeb3d4f4cd9d5e23e.jpg

4 PLACE TAILWIND /FOUR RUNNER FOR SALE OR TRADE • 4 Place Tailwind, 1980 CF-4 Four-Runner, Lyc 0360 A4A, 400 TT A/E Calbie Wood / Steve Wittman Designed, W-10 Aluminum Wing with 50 Gal. Fuel, Rear Baggage, 170 Gear, Cleveland Wheels - Brakes, Spin-On Oil Filter, Nav / LED Landing Lights, Spacious Interior. Plenty of leg, head and shoulder room front and rear ! ( See August 1974 Sport Aviation article "The Wood CF-4 Four Runner" ) Trade for Clipwing Cub or Cash • Contact David R. Manske - ACUTEC, Owner - located Machesney Park, IL USA • Telephone: 815-312-6962 . •

As cool as those look, they may be a bit on the large side. A 4-place plane, although useful sometimes, may not be used all that often. And although tailwheel is an option, I'd prefer a non-conventional geared plane

Yes, a -7 or -7A is a real hot rod. Or a -9A like mine...cruises at 160 mph on 6.5 gph, yet lands at 172 speeds.

Rans S6/Kitfox/Highlander All pretty much the same plane. All cheap. All what you're looking for

I was hoping to land in the 15-20 (maybe 25) range. Speed doesn't matter at all.

Depending on the aircraft, many (if not most) in the 15-20k range are TBO'ed and/or in need of mx. Not many that will be ready to fly. All varies by aircraft though.

Depending on the aircraft, many (if not most) in the 15-20k range are TBO'ed and/or in need of mx. Not many that will be ready to fly. All varies by aircraft though.

Even the small, 2-seat experimentals?

Even the small, 2-seat experimentals?
Again it just varies on the type, from my experience. Surprisingly even some of the older Sonex models run in the 30's. You can certainly find some 2 seat experimentals in your budget range, but they will more than likely require some TLC.

I always come back to my favorite older small aircraft. I've owned an 85 champ, 140 cessna, bc12d taylorcraft, cub, but my favorite was a Luscombe F model, 90 hp. All were very carefully rebuilt or updated and several were trophy winners. The Luscome was 35 grand and was well worth it, transponder , decent radio, 450 hours. Smoh , Hangared. ( all were hangared since rebuilt.) my least enjoyable was the cub. The 140 cessna needed an 0200 minimum. 15 to twenty will get you something that you'll wish you'd spent another five to ten grand. I got back most of what I paid for these aircraft as they were in excellent shape when I sold them, always hangared , maintained correctly. ( sold all of them thru TAP. ) all of the above are easy to fly with no bad habits, including the Luscome which is often described as " tricky on landing" or some such drivel.

Last edited:
As cool as those look, they may be a bit on the large side. A 4-place plane, although useful sometimes, may not be used all that often. And although tailwheel is an option, I'd prefer a non-conventional geared plane

Look at the one on the top, it's a 2 seater, small plane, will out run a 182 on about the same burn as a 152.

Look at the one on the top, it's a 2 seater, small plane, will out run a 182 on about the same burn as a 152.

I must admit, I like the way that looks. Though, do they come in a tricycle variant?

Am I reading that right about the plane have 2700hrs on an H2AD engine with no rebuild? I wouldn't touch that no matter what the price, not too mention the plane has no radio or transponder. I think his $25,000 would be much better spent elsewhere than on that particular plane.

How about a Grumman AA1B? I learned to fly in one, and always enjoyed flying it. The canopy is a nice touch, and you can find one priced in the teens. You can find a Piper Tomahawk for similar money. The Tomahawk is roomier but the Grumman is more fun to fly.

If you want to go back farther in time, you'll see some 0-235 powered high wing Pipers in that price range, and maybe a few 0-320 powered ones as well.

There are also plenty of Cessna 150s to be had for less than $20,000, and you could probably find a Cessna 140 as well.

Out of all of those, I like the Grumman, but that's just personal preference.

How about a Grumman AA1B? I learned to fly in one, and always enjoyed flying it. The canopy is a nice touch, and you can find one priced in the teens. You can find a Piper Tomahawk for similar money. The Tomahawk is roomier but the Grumman is more fun to fly.

If you want to go back farther in time, you'll see some 0-235 powered high wing Pipers in that price range, and maybe a few 0-320 powered ones as well.

There are also plenty of Cessna 150s to be had for less than $20,000, and you could probably find a Cessna 140 as well.

Out of all of those, I like the Grumman, but that's just personal preference.
I've gotta be looking at the wrong thing then....the AA1Bs that I looked at were all in the 30s. But aside from all that, I would HAVE to take it to an AP for maintenance. What are some experimental options?

I've gotta be looking at the wrong thing then....the AA1Bs that I looked at were all in the 30s. But aside from all that, I would HAVE to take it to an AP for maintenance. What are some experimental options?

I think you were looking at AA5s, i. e. Traveler, or Cheetah. Here's one, it even has a 150 hp engine:
http://www.trade-a-plane.com/search...model=AA1B&listing_id=2190211&s-type=aircraft

You can find a Kitfox with a two stroke engine in that price range, most of those with a four stroke will be more money. Personally. I don't care for two stroke aero engines, especially for cross country use, but it's not my decision.

Am I reading that right about the plane have 2700hrs on an H2AD engine with no rebuild? I wouldn't touch that no matter what the price, not too mention the plane has no radio or transponder. I think his $25,000 would be much better spent elsewhere than on that particular plane.

Well asking price and getting price ain't the same animal.

I'd also ask about that engine, odd to put a way runout engine in a brand new plane.

Even if those are the hours, I'd offer 18, toss a new to me engine in, dynon setup and have one heck of a plane.

That Wittman is not anywhere near the same category as a AA1/5 or C150, it would leave those planes in the dust.

Back