Plane missing in Antarctica

steingar

Taxi to Parking
Display Name

Display name:
steingar
A Twin Otter with three Canadians aboard has gone missing over Antarctica. Bad wx (including 90 knot winds :eek:) are hindering the search. Story on CNN

I had a friend on FB post about this who knew them. Hoping for a miracle.

It's a crazy place to get lost in because it's so desolate. Despite my earlier comment regarding The Thing, I truly am hoping that they are eventually found.

(Humor is just my way of dealing with things)

The Thing!

Somebody call Kurt Russel!

:rofl::rofl::rofl: Seriously though, if they didn't get killed or horrendously injured in the crash, they stand a fair chance of rescue. They carry the supplies required to deal with stuff like this, everyone down there does because it's a reality. I'm not writing them off just yet, but I would have my torch and wire ready to test the blood of anyone I rescued before bringing them back...;)

The Thing!

Somebody call Kurt Russel!

Actually, Leslie Nielsen, if you like the Howard Hawkes version, which took place in the Arctic, just like the John Carpenter version. Wrong pole.

I would hope that the occupants were ready for the challenge, and that the crash wasn't too bad. But wx down there can stay bad for a LONG time.

Actually, Leslie Nielsen, if you like the Howard Hawkes version, which took place in the Arctic, just like the John Carpenter version. Wrong pole.

I would hope that the occupants were ready for the challenge, and that the crash wasn't too bad. But wx down there can stay bad for a LONG time.

Remember, it's summer in Antarctica right now, typically the storms will move out within 2-3 days. I have hope for them as long as the crash wasn't bad. The fact that the crash didn't destroy the ELT and a signal got out is a good sign. The pilots that go down there are pretty good, I would suspect they may have stuffed it in before the conditions crashed them.

Bunch of my neighbors we're with the VXE-6 that use to go there every year... They were flying C-130s.. use to tell about the "white out" and how tricky it can be flying there..

Use to have some great Kiwi stories too!

Not a very friendly place. I was "lucky" enough to make a cruise on CGC Polar Sea as part of the aviation detachment. The ship was engaged in opening the route for supply ships into McMurdo and we scouted for leads and pressure ridges. Like Alaska, the weather can change in an eyeblink. But as others have mentioned, if they got down in one piece they have survival gear. Lack of subsequent communication is not a good sign however.

I suspect alternates are few and far between....or nonexistent. Risky business.

Hoping for the best...

Looks like the bad news has been confirmed.

http://www.globaltvedmonton.com/mem...s+killed+in+plane+crash/6442797271/story.html

Peter West, a spokesman with the National Science Foundation, said American and New Zealand search teams in helicopters were later able to land near the site and get to the wreckage on foot.

They were not able to safely recover the bodies of the men and will not be able to try again until possibly October, when winter in Antarctica is over and a new research season begins.

Back