Plane lands on top of another at Denton, TX

WOW! You're right about it being 52F, not KDTO!! That's MY airport, where I fly out of!

I understand a how a low wing could descend down on top of a high wing on approach if they are not communicating; but not when the lower plane is on the runway taking off. This will be interesting to watch.

Best,

Dave

I understand a how a low wing could descend down on top of a high wing on approach if they are not communicating; but not when the lower plane is on the runway taking off. This will be interesting to watch.

Well Dave , My Guess was they were not talking just flying, or maybe the stinson had no radios, but who knows. :dunno: still amazes me that someone didn't see something. i always look at runway in the pattern ,and in the pattern when taxiing to runway for takeoff. Guess i'm just to cautious:yes:.
Dave G:blueplane:

Yeah good thing no one got injured. On the other hand, I didn't know it was airplane mating season just yet.

Note well- when landing north at 52F, the trees make it very difficult for approaching aircraft to see planes in the runup area, and nearly impossible for pilots in the runup area to see the final approach area. I like to make very detailed - and frequent - position reports here.

---

Man, that Stinson is stout!

Yup, this is where LSA's come from....
ROFL.gif

Wow, that's just fricking amazing!

More pictures, and commentary, from vansairforce.net:

http://picasaweb.google.com/VansAirForce/52FRunwayIncursion_051508
(After clicking on the link above, maximize your screen and click 'Slideshow' to get the best view)
Doug Reeves said:
Fri May 16, 2008 1147z
Thursday was pretty weird. No flying, but we did have a runway incident at 52F which resulted in no physical injuries, but some pretty shaken folks and two damaged airplanes. The NTSB will have the final word, of course, but let me remind folks again how important it is to get a mental picture in your head of what's in the pattern before you pull on the runway. The two folks here were apparently in radio contact, but there was confusion obviously. Runway 35 at 52F has trees at the south end, so I prefer to fly a steeper than usual, slipping 180* turn to final when the wind is out of the north. The runway dips down a little there at the south end and if a plane at the run up area pulls way up against the very end they don't get a wide, unobstructed view of what's on final. When I'm about to takeoff on 35, I do my run up on the TAXIWAY a hundred or so feet north of where most folks do. Call me chicken, but I like to be able to look down a long final for the occasional Baron or light twin draggin' it in low.

Well, that wreck on 380 was from a month ago.... I think the media must have an unwritten sensationalism rule (ya think?!?) that more than X people have to die in a car wreck, or the occupants need to be famous, for it to be news worthy beyond the local markets.

It made the 10 o'clock news here. Other than the flash flooding locally it was a slow news day.

So when are we ever going to see a high wing landing on top of a low wing? huh?

Glad no one got hurt.

It is less likely because the high wing can see down and the low wing can see up.

Think about the blind spots of both airplanes. The closer they get--the worse they become. It's pretty hard to see straight down in a low wing. It is also difficult to see up in a high wing. The high wing also makes it difficult to see through your turns in the pattern (always remember this).

The news this morning said they were comunicating. Of course the news seldom gets aviation stuff correct.
Hey, give em credit! They got the fact that one of the planes was red, didn't they? The rest of it, well I'll just wait and see!:yes:

It is less likely because the high wing can see down and the low wing can see up.

Think about the blind spots of both airplanes. The closer they get--the worse they become. It's pretty hard to see straight down in a low wing. It is also difficult to see up in a high wing. The high wing also makes it difficult to see through your turns in the pattern (always remember this).

I believe Mari was asking a rhetorical question. However, your explanation is spot on.

I was joking... thought that came through in the tone of my post. :D

That's a fantastic little airport down there in Roanoke.
There's also a nice little outdoor gun range about a mile away, and the famous Babe's Chicken in Roanoke. There's even a nice pilot shop on the field.

I really have nothing to add to this post.

The local news airheads showed the footage with "There is no control tower, but the planes are supposed to talk to each other!"

Factually correct. Cars are also supposed to not run into each other even if they aren't talking

High wing or low wing, you can't see right below the engine cowl on a Cherokee, especially one with a 6 banger in it like mine. I exasperated Cleveland when they wanted me to see traffic right below and ahead of me...yeah I shouldda done some turns.

I'm offended! I can't believe you mentioned that in a public forum! We need to have a constitutional amendment and make it illegal for all time!

:goofy:

Back