Plane getting avionics upgrade this week

asgcpa

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
CPA
Avidyne avionics upgrade - finally done

Our full Avidyne stack - 540, 440 remote xponder new audio panel and ADSB avionics being installed this week. Can hardly wait.

Last edited:
Our full Avidyne stack - 540, 440 remote xponder new audio panel and ADSB avionics being installed this week. Can hardly wait.

Pictures or it never happened!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Why avidyne ?

Features including hybrid buttons, bezels and touch screen; ease of use, integration with our existing glass panel. Price breaks on bundled Jepp subscription. Overall price for system including ADSB compliance.

I would love to hear the results after you guys fly it a bit.

I fly a Matrix with an Avidyne and have thoiught about the same upgrade. It has been hard to justify as both the 430's are WAAS and I have active traffic.

I would love to hear the results after you guys fly it a bit.

I fly a Matrix with an Avidyne and have thoiught about the same upgrade. It has been hard to justify as both the 430's are WAAS and I have active traffic.

I can understand that. We do have active traffic already. Our 430s never had the WAAS upgrade and it was going to cost $9K or so for that; $9K got the ADSB solution; $1,200 for the flight stream. So it was about $20-$21K with 18-20 year old gps/radio technology. Effectively the 430s are using mid 1990s computer technology. We did think long and hard about which direction to go. For us we went this direction. We bit the bullet and did ADSB because of the Avidyne pricing. The price break on the Jepp bundles will save us over the 5 years to pay for the extra in costs to get the whole shebang. But frankly, it was more than I wanted to spend, but since we were doing it felt we should do it right. For you it may not make sense as your navs are already WAAS.

Last edited:
Makes a lot of sense. Thanks for the insight.

Sounds lke this upgrade makes sense for you guys!

Please do post your observations likes/dislikes on the Avidyne GPS.

I can understand that. We do have active traffic already. Our 430s never had the WAAS upgrade and it was going to cost $9K or so for that; $9K got the ADSB solution; $1,200 for the flight stream. So it was about $20-$21K with 18-20 year old gps/radio technology. Effectively the 430s are using mid 1990s computer technology. We did think long and hard about which direction to go. For us we went this direction. We bit the bullet and did ADSB because of the Avidyne pricing. The price break on the Jepp bundles will save us over the 5 years to pay for the extra in costs to get the whole shebang. But frankly, it was more than I wanted to spend, but since we were doing it felt we should do it right. For you it may not make sense as your navs are already WAAS.

9k for the WAAS upgrade?

9k for the WAAS upgrade?

probably about right. WAAS upgrade was 3k+ for me a 3-4 years ago. I'm wanting to say 32-3500. Then it cost me >1000 to install the new antenna and cable. The OP has 2 units. I don't know if they share the same antenna or not.

probably about right. WAAS upgrade was 3k+ for me a 3-4 years ago. I'm wanting to say 32-3500. Then it cost me >1000 to install the new antenna and cable. The OP has 2 units. I don't know if they share the same antenna or not.

I was looking at 3k when I looked into it not that long ago, so 9k should WAAS 3 units.

3,400 each unit plus antenna and composite work.

Last edited:
Just today I flew our club Warrior with its new GTN-650.

After flying with that going back to the 430W is going to seem like trading in my PC w/ Intel I7+ssd drive for an Apple 1.

We looked at used 430s, but they were only a little less than a new 650. I'm glad we made the right call.

We looked at used 430s, but they were only a little less than a new 650. I'm glad we made the right call.

Exactly. I'm assuming yours did not have any 430 so you would have been paying full freight. The Avidyne was substantially less than the 750/650 stack, but it was the other features that intrigued us.

Exactly. I'm assuming yours did not have any 430 so you would have been paying full freight. The Avidyne was substantially less than the 750/650 stack, but it was the other features that intrigued us.

It had a vfr King 89b that had replaced the Loran a few years ago.

Pictures or it never happened!

As you wished. Renamed thread and will be updating here.

The shop said they will send pics as the project progresses. Found out the DFC90 was never wired to flap sensors. We're having it done really cheaply since everything is apart. This will help the under speed envelope so they say.

Anyway pics follow.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    5.7 MB · Views: 120
Last edited:
As you wished. Renamed thread and will be updating here.

The shop said they will send pics as the project progresses. Found out the DFC90 was never wired to flap sensors. We're having it done really cheaply since everything is apart. This will help the under speed envelope so they say.

Anyway pics follow.

Excellent. Keep'em coming!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Pic #3. Waiting for more from the shop.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    5.7 MB · Views: 69
Re: Plane getting avionics upgrade - the project in pics & words

Sounds like you'll have a nicely equipped new ride! :yes:

Hmmm. Should I be worried about the leftover pieces?

No, you'll never miss them... :goofy: Would love to know how it works for you after you've flown with it for a while...:yes: Keep us posted...

No, you'll never miss them... :goofy: Would love to know how it works for you after you've flown with it for a while...:yes: Keep us posted...

Should pick up Friday. A couple of hours with the APU plugged in, then hopefully a VFR XC testing different functions. If that goes ok then an IFR XC on way back from xc destination.

Finished product. These boxes are awesome.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    968.1 KB · Views: 57
With 1.5 hours on the APU and 1.7 hours combined in two short flights, my initial reactions are that this setup is great.

Audio panel - very easy to set up the blue tooth. Paired my phone with it. Ease of use and volume controls were as expected.

Radios- came in loud and clear. frequencies easy to enter with touch screen or knobs. Very easy to set up custom configuration by user. System will hold 5 custom setups and you can save to flash drive. Many, many, many options and locations to choose from. Practically ran out of options before we ran out of room.

Entering flight plan on ground using touch screen was a breeze. Yesterday was very turbulent - having the option to use knobs and buttons - i.e. changing freqs was appreciated.

Screens were bright, colorful, and easy to read. Getting frequencies at nearest airport or destination a breeze and very easy to put in standby.

Didn't file an IFR flight plan on the maiden voyage in case something went wrong ....can hardly wait to see how you can program your holds and how approaches work. Will update later on.

All I can say at this point is ....Wow. Avidyne did a good job on the design. I am VERY happy with these boxes. Thanks to Adam Z from this board who suggested I seriously consider this product.

Last edited:
Re: Avidyne avionics upgrade - finally done

I wanna hear your long term notes but I think I'm leaning Avidyne for the stuff I need to do soonish. That setup looks great.

I wanna hear your long term notes but I think I'm leaning Avidyne for the stuff I need to do soonish. That setup looks great.

What are you looking to do Nate?

I had a 2.7 hour flight to incorporate the avidyne learning and the Cirrus transition. The boxes again were quite easy to use. Getting comfortable quickly with them. Had to reposition the VOR frequencies on the display and move the transponder display.

What are you looking to do Nate?

Well, the good ol' 182 lost a DME quite a while ago, and she really needs an IFR GPS at the very least. The number of approaches a /U airplane can fly around here is dwindling fast.

Additionally now that opposite direction approaches aren't allowed at my home base, even getting a practice ILS has become an exercise in futility if the wind is blowing the wrong direction, even though hundreds of thousands of them were done safely for decades with instructions to break it off before certain landmarks.

The big question remains: How much money to waste on it all. I think I've ruled out a used Garmin 430/530, they're just getting too long in the tooth and the UI (to me anyway) is awful.

I doubt we will go as hog wild as this example, but we already know our VOR heads aren't GPS compatible, so there's a hit right there to replace those.

It's one of those things where it could easily snowball into a full panel replacement if money were no object.

The Avidyne 430 replacement is looking like the best bang for the buck to me right now. Keep the rest of the King stack and replace one of the OBS heads and move the "extra" glideslope capable head down one hole. That'd be the bare minimum to make her reasonably IFR capable again.

Things to ponder over morning coffee. :)

If you are getting 1, get the IFD540. More real estate. There are more bezels, buttons and room to set options. You can also do rubber banding easier.

Last edited:
I saw this in Avionics, mine was in at the same time getting a new radio installed... I talked to Dan as he was about to start up and deliver this airplane from the installer to you. Nice stack, I must say. Not a bad airplane either haha.

I saw this in Avionics, mine was in at the same time getting a new radio installed... I talked to Dan as he was about to start up and deliver this airplane from the installer to you. Nice stack, I must say. Not a bad airplane either haha.

Thanks. Dan is a nice guy.

Back