Plane for the mission?

Yes, that was my understanding. I was just trying to keep it simple. I know there is a bunch of other stuff out there, like altitude hold (this would be nice) and GPSS, etc.

Not to quibble, but a wing leveler controls one axis (roll). An autopilot that can follow a heading is a two axis autopilot. An autopilot that can control pitch, roll, and yaw is a three axis autopilot.

For extra credit, name the six degrees of freedom of an airplane. :idea:

I think I'll quibble. Don't know what the industry says, but a one axis to me is roll, two axis includes alt hold. Any/all can do heading select, whether from a CDI or GPS(provided GPS has a heading out signal).

Not to quibble, but a wing leveler controls one axis (roll). An autopilot that can follow a heading is a two axis autopilot. An autopilot that can control pitch, roll, and yaw is a three axis autopilot.

So, an autopilot that can follow a heading bug but does not have any pitch or yaw control - Which two axes is it controlling?

:idea:

Last edited:
There are wing levelers, that are very basic autopilots, they just keep the wings level. A single axis A/P controls one axis, roll, usually it will track heading and some will intercept and track VOR/GPS with a CDI. :D
A two axis autopilot controls roll like a single axis and adds vertical/altitude features as well, usually with the addition of electric trim and many will track a glideslope. The third axis is yaw and that is normally accomplished with the addition of a yaw damper to a two axis unit, either as a stand alone or as part of the A/P system. :D
None are cheap to install. :eek:

For extra credit, name the six degrees of freedom of an airplane. :idea:

Okay, it's not really sexy, but a Grumman Tiger might do the trick. Kind of fun to fly, too. Very easy to maintain. Even better would be an RV-6 with a 160hp and fixed pitch prop…190mph and really fun. Mooneys are efficient but they don't have very sweet controls. Doesn't matter though if you want to fly around with the autopilot on all the time. If you don't mind squandering a bit more on fuel, might I suggest a nice Viking. Goes fast enough, flies beautiful.

My hangar neighbor had one. I am not sure I can talk myself into a fabric plane.

Have you flown one? I'll bet you'd like it. Flies like a little fighter plane. After you've spent some time in a really nice airplane, other airplanes seem like golf carts. You'll never look at a Cherokee the same way.

Have you flown one? I'll bet you'd like it. Flies like a little fighter plane.

No it doesn't. Neither does any Bo, RV or (I'll trow a number out here...) 99.999999% of airplanes that aren't actually fighters.

Having said that, the SV does fly very nice if possibly a bit of a loud cockpit.

No it doesn't. Neither does any Bo, RV or (I'll trow a number out here...) 99.999999% of airplanes that aren't actually fighters.

Having said that, the SV does fly very nice if possibly a bit of a loud cockpit.

Probably depends on the definition of fighter. The only fighter I've flown is a P-51, and I bet that doesn't fly anything at all like an F-16.

But, of course, nobody wants to hear "It's a great airplane, it flies just like a Sopwith Pup!" so they just say "fighter" to sound cooler, even if it is technically correct. ;) :D

Even better would be an RV-6

Seats 4 adults was one of the requirements. Under $50k was another. Those two eliminate all the RVs. In fact I can't think of any experimental - new or used - that would fit.

I have seen some used IFR equipped Piper 235s for sale that would probably fit most or all his requirements. It would have the advantage of being in the same family as his 140.

It probably did when it was designed in 1937.

Seats 4 adults was one of the requirements. Under $50k was another. Those two eliminate all the RVs. In fact I can't think of any experimental - new or used - that would fit.

I have seen some used IFR equipped Piper 235s for sale that would probably fit most or all his requirements. It would have the advantage of being in the same family as his 140.

Yes, a 235 is a possibility.

Back