plane for the mission? college student flying

\__[Ô]__/

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
david
A little different than the normal "plane for the mission" thread... The goal is a low operating cost plane for a college flying group. We want to get college students flying on a college student budget (i.e. very little money). $100/hr for a plane is prohibitive for most students. So we need an alternative to the typical trainer. I think we're probably looking at something experimental to meet our requirements. We are open to a 'fat ultralight' type LSA.

Our mission is introducing students to flying by providing a plane they can fly with an instructor at a relatively cheap price. Most will likely take a couple flights then move on to another activity. For those interested in learning more, we want to be able to train them for at least a light sport rating in the plane. Once they have a license, we want them to be able to take a friend flying locally and to nearby airports. Long cross countries (>100nm) aren't necessary.

Primary goals are safety and low operating cost. Speed, endurance, range, etc are secondary considerations.
Our purchasing budget is under $25K. Under $20K is MUCH better. We are very open to creative cost saving ideas. We're also a public university that can probably accept tax deductible donations which might open up some acquisition options.
Given our budget and the following criteria, do we have any good options?

must have:
good safety record
at least two seats with full dual controls
ability to carry two 190# people with reasonable amount of fuel
enclosed cockpit (helps convince people of safety)
low fuel usage (low hourly costs)
4 stroke engine

very strong preference:
engine starter (hand propping is probably going to get vetoed)
light sport eligible
runs on auto fuel
looks like a real plane (again, helps convince people of safety)
able to operate comfortably in cold temperature (i.e. midwest winter)

desirable:
simple maintenance
easy transition to something like a 172
equipped for night flying

Bonus points:
can be put on skis

Last edited:
Aeronca Chief for dual instruction

Maybe something like this
AERONCA CHIEF LSA 1946 11AC • $19,000 • FOR SALE BY OWNER • Light Sport 11AC with all records and log books including FAA records. 2600TT Continental A65 90 hr SMOH. metal sensenich Prop overhauled 250 hours ago. Marvel carb with accelerator pump and working mixture control, Struts rebuilt 250 hours ago, Hanlon Wilson exhaust with new stacks, 8 gal aux tank, 1990 ceconite punches good, rebuilt struts, A&P owned. Annual due in Feb 2014. • Contact Jim Greer, Owner - located Flowery Branch, GA USA • Telephone: 6783717225 . • Posted October 3, 2013 • Show all Ads posted
.watermarked_606f1d4f15c59cc78333462f9b8b3603.jpg

Transition the students to a single seat N3 pup for economy

Here's one
SINGLEPLACE N3 PUPULTRALIGHT. • $7,500 • AVAILABLE FOR IMMEDIATE SALE • Excellent shape Factory built Preceptor Single place N3 Pup ultralight. culver prop, Mosler 40 Hp 4 cycle aircraft engine. Always hangered indoors. Looks like a J3 cub. 1.8 GPH at 60 mph. 30 foot wingspan, 16 feet long. Plane has level flight indicator, brakes, oil pressure and cyl head temp guage, altimeter. air speed indicator. Tachometer, Beautiful Yellow Cub paint. Does not have folding wing option. First 7500.00 gets it. Call Dennis @ 713-253-9079 in Lubbock, Tx. • Contact Dennis C. Jones, Owner - located Ransom Canyon, TX USA • Telephone: 713-253-9079 . • Posted October 16, 2013 • Show all Ads posted by this Advertiser"
.watermarked_f40621d024b5f867545518d476cd11e3.jpg

Last edited:
Go look at 120/140s. Great airplanes, perform pretty nice, and won't break the bank.

It looks like you have a lot of needs. Looks like you are going to find an old aircraft that's been maintained. You might look for a taylorcraft,or ercoupe.

2 seat quicksilver lsa? doesn't look like a real airplane, doesn't matter college kids doing a flight or two for the hell of it a little extra black deathness is a free bonus.

I forgot to list that we probably need something with a starter. :( We may need the university to sign off on this and hand propping is going to be a tough sell.

The chief is on my list of options - not sure if they came with a starter?
We don't have the budget or need for two planes right now and a single seater strays too far from our mission of getting new people flying.

140 might be an option. I can't help but think it might actually be more plane than we need. I'd prefer something less capable but light enought for sport pilot.

Never flown a tri-pacer, but I've been told they aren't a good plane to learn in.

It looks like you have a lot of needs. Looks like you are going to find an old aircraft that's been maintained. You might look for a taylorcraft,or ercoupe.

Yeah, we've got a lot of needs. Unfortunately most of those are based on our situation and intended use, so we don't have a lot of flexibility. Honestly, I'm not entirely sure there's something out there that will work.

Certainly a well maintained older plane is one place we're looking. I'm also hoping there might be some options in the experimental world that i'm not aware of. A challenger II with a 4 stroke engine (HKS-700e?) is on the list to consider.

\__[Ô]__/;1288936 said:
Yeah, we've got a lot of needs. Unfortunately most of those are based on our situation and intended use, so we don't have a lot of flexibility. Honestly, I'm not entirely sure there's something out there that will work.

Certainly a well maintained older plane is one place we're looking. I'm also hoping there might be some options in the experimental world that i'm not aware of. A challenger II with a 4 stroke engine (HKS-700e?) is on the list to consider.

I am unsure you can rent an experimental for training legally.

LSA's are very expensive relative to old good planes.

I suspect your choices are going to be Cessna 150/152 or Cherokee 140 or Skipper or Tomahawk. All of these will do about 500lbs 100 for fuel and 400 for 2 pax. The Cherokee will carry 900 lbs so 2 adults can weight a bit more and carry 6 hrs fuel so this would be a good plane to take to fly ins and air shows to help promote your organization and take two or three student as well as materials to hand out.

172 are nice but seldom in the price range you are looking. Other than the Cherokee other 4 seaters that might be in that price range are Beech Sport, Musketeer B19.

The advantage to staying with a mainline plane is that access to parts will be fast and easy so your flight school is not sidelined while waiting for a part.

You could possibly get a list of every registered airplane(s) in your category who live in IA and send them a letter request for donations and might do very well for yourself. Maybe get two airplanes.

cant beat a C150 with a low or mid time engine and auto gas STC. You can buy them all day long for under $20K. Easy to maintain, cheap to fly, insurance no problem, decent performance too. I regularly do 300 mile XCs in mine.

I am unsure you can rent an experimental for training legally.

You're correct that we cannot charge for rental on experimental planes. However, I believe you can charge fuel costs and instruction. For other costs: We may have donated hangar space and a couple A&Ps willing to work with us on a quid pro quo thing to lower our labor costs. We have unrelated income streams that could be put towards insurance, parts, and reserves. It'd be the same as if I own an experimental plane and let my friends fly it for the cost of fuel and oil. As far as I know, that's completely legal. If we can find a better suited plane that is cheaper to own and operate going the experimental route, we may be able to handle not charging a rental fee. It depends a lot on insurance and engine reserve costs.

We might try sending out letters. That's a good idea.

Last edited:
If Vintage is OK, I 2nd the Ercoupe. Tri-cycle gear, side by side two-seater, low wing, enclosed cockpit (although flying open is fun), some models are LSA, runs on mogas @ less than five gallons per hour, 1st aircraft certified to be spin-proof, originally without rudder pedals and most are in your price range.

That's what a low price will get you.

500 hours to TBO and maybe a long time after.

Nope that's not a "low" price for that plane in this market, I'd offer maybe 14k for it, take it or leave it, theres about a zillion others for sale so..

We picked up a AA1 Grumman (similar systems and same engine) for 14k, 500SMOH, 10hrs on the cylinders and prop, 2500ish TT and it lived in a hangar till the owner got a RG and kicked the AA1 out to sell it.

Seen the same deals for the 150s.

BESIDES, I thought the OP wanted a taildragger and a option for skis??

\__[Ô]__/;1289018 said:
You're correct that we cannot charge for rental on experimental planes. However, I believe you can charge fuel costs and instruction. For other costs: We may have donated hangar space and a couple A&Ps willing to work with us on a quid pro quo thing to lower our labor costs. We have unrelated income streams that could be put towards insurance, parts, and reserves. It'd be the same as if I own an experimental plane and let my friends fly it for the cost of fuel and oil. As far as I know, that's completely legal. If we can find a better suited plane that is cheaper to own and operate going the experimental route, we may be able to handle not charging a rental fee. It depends a lot on insurance and engine reserve costs.

We might try sending out letters. That's a good idea.

Set up a class for learning to build a plane... Buy a Zenith 750 kit. The students get building experience, and flight time when it is finished... IMHO.

Set up a class for learning to build a plane... Buy a Zenith 750 kit. The students get building experience, and flight time when it is finished... IMHO.

I like that idea, but that's going to cost a lot more than the $20k he's looking at. It's $20k just for the complete airframe/finishing kits, then you'll likely need a few options like dual controls ($500), instruments ($5k??), and another $15k+ for a Rotax 912UL.

I'm assuming you can't build one for less than $40k realistically.

I like that idea, but that's going to cost a lot more than the $20k he's looking at. It's $20k just for the complete airframe/finishing kits, then you'll likely need a few options like dual controls ($500), instruments ($5k??), and another $15k+ for a Rotax 912UL.

Agreed.... but if there is a will / there is a way..... Bake sales, garage sales, raffle stuff...... I don't take much for a few dozen students to round up spare change.:)

I think he is expecting a lot of churn, building doesn't seem like a great idea if that is the case. I'm pro homebuilt but wary of the you want to fly cheap no problem just spend a few years building as a recruitment slogan. LSA is probably a good idea as I'd guess a good number of college students have ritalin histories.

Nope that's not a "low" price for that plane in this market, I'd offer maybe 14k for it, take it or leave it, theres about a zillion others for sale so..

The owner should leave it, because that is what they are selling for.

your thinking is just a personal opinion.

OBTW a flight school is buying it for that price.

I think he is expecting a lot of churn, building doesn't seem like a great idea if that is the case. I'm pro homebuilt but wary of the you want to fly cheap no problem just spend a few years building as a recruitment slogan. LSA is probably a good idea as I'd guess a good number of college students have ritalin histories.

A dozen students can build and fly a 750 in a few months... No need to take years...:no:

Are you looking for LSA or LSA compliant from the pilot's point of view?

I think either is fine? I'm not sure there is a big difference. I know people with an LSA repairman rating can work on LSA planes, but not LSA compliant ones. Are there other differences from a practical standpoint?

While we haven't ruled out building a plane, our goal is flying not building. We'd need some very compelling reasons to build a plane if we can buy an airworthy one that meets our needs for the same price. The 750, and maybe the 701, looks promising though. I'll add that to the list of options. But the $40K that Ted mentioned it would cost to build is WAY over our budget.

How much is an aircam?

Those are too cool. The view must be incredible. But it's open cockpit, I think that busts one of your criteria.

The owner should leave it, because that is what they are selling for.

your thinking is just a personal opinion.

OBTW a flight school is buying it for that price.

And your thinking is just your personal opinion.

However you shake it, just keep in mind, more people want your $18k then that guys 150 with that higher timed engine.

I second the motion for a Cherokee 140 as my first choice, a Cessna 150 as a second choice. The 2+2 capability of the Cherokee is a big plus, along with the option of carrying more fuel, or filling to the tabs for more payload.

LSA's are very expensive relative to old good planes.

Indeed. I paid $20,000. for mine. Doesn't get much more expensive than that.

It would fit the bill except it does not have lights. And I'm not sure how E-AB fits into the rental idea.

Taylorcraft, Champ, etc. can be had for $25K or less. But you do get more airplane for the money if you buy a Cessna 150.

You can often find an already flying version of many E-AB aircraft for well less than the kit + new motor + ...

The Avid Flyer and derivitives (Kitfox, etc.) can be found used in the $20K - $25K. But, can a club own an E-AB and "rent" to members?

You can often find an already flying version of many E-AB aircraft for well less than the kit + new motor + ...

The Avid Flyer and derivitives (Kitfox, etc.) can be found used in the $20K - $25K. But, can a club own an E-AB and "rent" to members?

Kitfox was on my list, but last time I looked, I couldn't find one with a 4 stroke engine priced in our budget.

I don't believe a club can rent an E-AB to members. But as I mentioned, we have other income available to cover fixed costs. So if we're able to charge for the fuel and oil used, and if insurance and engine overhaul costs aren't excessive, we can financially handle not charging a rental rate.
As far as I can tell that set up would not violate any regulations.

There have been a lot of certified planes suggested. Does anyone have suggestions of experimental homebuilt planes that meet the requirements in the 1st post?
I'm hoping to find something experimental with lower ownership/operating costs than what I can find in the certified world.

The 2+2 capability of the Cherokee is a big plus
no, it's a minus. If the plane has 4 seats then kids will fill them with other kids.

When I was in college I bought and kept an ercoupe on my $10k/year grad student stipend. But given the prices of each, I'd go with a C-150 in this case

Taylorcraft, Champ, etc. can be had for $25K or less. But you do get more airplane for the money if you buy a Cessna 150.

Whoa, hold on a second.

Guessing you said that backwards.

So are you saying a C150 is MORE aircraft then a 7AC or Taylorcraft??

Back