Plane fire today at 00R

Glad the pilot was not hurt.

Last edited:
I'm glad she's alright! We've had a few weird one's this week huh?

This plane fire, the two Cessna's running into each other at Talkeetna and they all walked away, and the little LSA that had an off airport at Haskell and flipped and they're both ok.

Last edited:
Heard a pop and turned the engine off? I thought everybody knew that keeping it cranking is the best thing to do with an induction fire. Everyone reading this thread should. Accidents happen. Fire extinguishers limit the damage. Strike 2.

Heard a pop and turned the engine off? I thought everybody knew that keeping it cranking is the best thing to do with an induction fire. Everyone reading this thread should. Accidents happen. Fire extinguishers limit the damage. Strike 2.

True, keep cranking and suck the fire and vapor into the engine where it belongs.

Never a good thing sounds like a hot start gone bad,I guess the locals don't carry any foam.

Never a good thing sounds like a hot start gone bad,I guess the locals don't carry any foam.

Warrior has a carb, no hot start issues, this is what often happens when people pump the throttle a few times before hitting the key.

Why you don't use the throttle to prime the engine.

How did you know she primed it?

but over priming by any means is still over priming.

Now you may know why I always say " never prime any engine that is not turning."

Warrior has a carb, no hot start issues, this is what often happens when people pump the throttle a few times before hitting the key.
Same thing will happen when you use the primer.

Why you don't use the throttle to prime the engine.

But that's what my Owners Manual says to do . . . And it's worked since 1970 for my plane, and since the mid-50s on its predecessors.

(There's no primer, the throttle is the only way to get fuel into my O-360.)

Don't know how this plane was made, but your sweeping generalization is not true in all cases.

True, keep cranking and suck the fire and vapor into the engine where it belongs.
When the fuel is in the lower cowl, that won't help.

She did the right thing. get out, and let the insurance company handle it.

When the fuel is in the lower cowl, that won't help.

She did the right thing. get out, and let the insurance company handle it.

Hmmm...

I bet it was a small fire for a minute or so....... Nothing a Fire extinguisher would not put out......

Now.... If you need "Jewish lightening" to strike..... then she was successful...;);)

How did you know she primed it?

but over priming by any means is still over priming.

Now you may know why I always say " never prime any engine that is not turning."

If you use the primer, it's not a problem. The only way it caught on fire was by pumping raw gas out of the bowl and into the air box. Do I know it? No, but I see it so commonly and cringe every time I watch someone pump the throttle then turn the key.:(

Hot start you always keep cranking..........even on the jets.......

Priming puts fuel directly into the cylinder. No fire threat. Throttle pumping is widely used and will start a fire if the fuel drops back into the airbox and you have a backfire. The risk is reduced if you start cranking first and pump throttle after the draft is started. Lean conditions from induction leaks also cause backfires and subsequent induction fires. My personal experience? Damage costs about $1000 per second that it burns. Fire extinguishers are a good investment. So is a little forethought in how to get out of your plane and employ that extinguisher when the motor goes poof in front of your eyes.

My own plane's been on fire twice. I also extinguished a buddy's plane when I saw a cowling fire as he was taxiing, but that one required snow. I've had an extinguisher mounted on the console of my truck ever since.

Back