Plane finder apps ADS-B

Pinstriper

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Pinstriper
So I was poking around another forum and saw a post regarding a plane finder app called.... http://planefinder.net/about/ads-b-how-planefinder-works/
And the curiosity in me read where they could use folks to help extend coverage.. So I emailed them, and he responded right away as promised :) and want to send me the antenna, RX, and necessary goodies to mount on my garage roof if I want.
So my question is can it hurt? Can it help? It would be kinda neat if you're geeky like me lol!!! I'm in a pretty good spot I think, out in the open 1 mile from KOVE, 60 miles north of SMF (under the approach path), 20 SE from KCIC, and 21 NW from Beale AFB..

So guys what should I do now that I offered ???!!

Last edited:
Yet one more reason I will never, ever equip my plane with ADS-B out.

Did they offer all the stuff for free or whats the cost? Sounds like something I wouldnt mind toying with.

All free .. Any apps too..
Here's a copy of the email he sent;

Thanks for writing in and we would certainly appreciate your help in extending our coverage.

The equipment requires a internet connection and power supply and should be run 24/7.
We need a wired internet connection and a 5v USB power supply which I can supply.

We also have a PC based receiver if you prefer.

The antenna we use is around 45cm tall and is supplied with a bracket to attach to a vertical pole.

The key thing is the antenna position with good line of sight to the sky.
Are you in a good location and okay to mount that?
If so how much cable would you need?

In summary we could supply the receiver, cable and antenna.

All we ask that is that you don't share the data with any other ADS-B data services and that you make the equipment available to us to collect if you can no longer run it.

If you are happy to go ahead with this then please confirm that the above requirements are acceptable.
Please also send me your location details and I will make sure that we are happy too.

I look forward to hearing from you again.

With thanks and best regards,

Mark

For what it's worth, the flightradar24 app seems to be better and more people are involved.

Yet one more reason I will never, ever equip my plane with ADS-B out.

What would that reason be? Maybe I don't understand it well enough, but what do you see as the downside. And why does this reenforce your decision not to equip with "out"?
(I'm not arguing or saying you are wrong. I am trying to understand this better).

What would that reason be? Maybe I don't understand it well enough, but what do you see as the downside. And why does this reenforce your decision not to equip with "out"?
(I'm not arguing or saying you are wrong. I am trying to understand this better).

"Simply put, ADS-B uses the avionics within an aircraft to communicate with GPS satellites in orbit and transmit data about:

ADS-B OUT – Data from the aircraft

Callsign
Altitude
Heading
Position
Squawk number
Speed..."

"Simply put, ADS-B uses the avionics within an aircraft to communicate with GPS satellites in orbit and transmit data about:

Callsign
Altitude
Heading
Position
Squawk number
Speed..."

Just out of curiosity how much info do you think your Mode C transponder sends ?

Just out of curiosity how much info do you think your Mode C transponder sends ?

Hmmm...

Callsign
Altitude
Heading
Position
Squawk number
Speed..."

Out of all of the above.........

I would guess...

Altitude
Position
Squawk number...

Callsign
Altitude
Heading
Position
Squawk number
Speed..."
I still don't understand the objection? Which parameters do you wish to keep secret? And why?
And what do you think about the plan to put transponders in cars in order to prevent accidents?

I still don't understand the objection? Which parameters do you wish to keep secret? And why?
And what do you think about the plan to put transponders in cars in order to prevent accidents?

My MAIN objection is the "callsign" feature.... That is one VERY small step away from user fees..... IMHO

Back