Plane fantasy two: looking for a unicorn

Ozone

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Ozone
I like tailwheels. I want one that I can fly when not flying the club planes that I use to "go somewhere" (3 pipers and a cirrus).
Wish list:
1) 2 seats OK, 4 is better
2) 75% cruise north of 115knots
3) fuel usage: 4-7 gph (leaned out)
4) Endurance 4+ hours
5) can take skis/floats
6) experimental or manufactured is fine
7) Under 50K

Piper? Stinson? Glastar? Citabria? Aeronca?

Other than fuel burn... Cessna 180 is the clear choice EDIT: Nevermind just saw the 50k price limit.

Maybe a lower powered Maule would do the trick.

Or a Sportsman 2+2

PA-20? I doubt you could get the 115kt cruise but it might fit everything else.

Murphy Moose. But the IO540 will not fit the fuel burn requirement. And to complete it might be a little north of your limit.

SR3500 (MOOSE) COMPLETE KIT FIREWALL BACK
$49,500.00
The kit contains all the components you will need to build your MOOSE from the firewall back and from the ground up. Standard features include spring gear, 36"cargo door, dual fuel tanks 60 US gallon total capacity, dual controls, wheels & brakes, electric elevator trim. tires & tubes, formed windshield, boarding step, aluminum stabilizer fairing, front bucket and rear bench seats. The kit does not include the engine, instruments, fiberglass stabilizer fairing, upholstery or chemicals. Options for 80 GAL and 100 GAL tanks are available.

http://www.murphyair.com/detail/moose

OR, the Yukon with an IO360.

YUKON COMPLETE KIT FIREWALL BACK TAILDRAGGER
$45,250.00
The kit contains all the components you will need to build your YUKON from the firewall back and from the ground up. Standard features include spring gear, 36"cargo door, dual fuel tanks 60 US gallon total capacity, dual controls, wheels & brakes, electric elevator trim. tires & tubes, formed windshield, boarding step, aluminum stabilizer fairing, front bucket and rear bench seats. The kit does not include the engine, instruments, fiberglass stabilizer fairing, upholstery or chemicals. Optional 80 GAL tanks available

http://www.murphyair.com/detail/yukon

These are cool ideas! Tanks for the inspiration and that old belanca is a beauty...perhaps a hidden trove of expenses, but beautiful nonetheless

Since someone mentioned murphy: there's someone locally selling a rebel kit for $17k (firewall back). If one has never, ever built a plane, is this a plane that one could start building? Or is this an albatross in disguise?

Ether your 115kts is going to have to be more like 90kts, or you’re going to have to 2x your budget.

I mean a wittman tailwind would do it for 2 people but not so much skis or floats

Tailwindtaxi.jpg

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wittman_Tailwind

https://www.barnstormers.com/Experimental, Wittman+Tailwind Classifieds.htm

Or as mentioned a cruisemaster, again no skis or floats though.

149589.jpg

Otherwise you’re looking at a maule or like a skywagon or something, these are going to be a bit over 50k.

@James331 The more I think about it, it sounds like a Stinson 108 might be perfect for the OP. Cheap, fast enough, true 4 seats.

Though I'm not sure I've ever seen a Stinson on skis or floats, is that something that can be done?

@James331 The more I think about it, it sounds like a Stinson 108 might be perfect for the OP. Cheap, fast enough, true 4 seats.

Though I'm not sure I've ever seen a Stinson on skis or floats, is that something that can be done?

Oh yeah, floats and skis

Stinson108-3photo03.jpg

Super%20Stinson%20108-3%20on%20floats.jpg

Only issue is they are a little underpowered for hard core float ops while loaded to max, and even on wheels with the wheel pants on they are more like a little over 90kts.

Great planes though.

Now if he wants 115kts ON FLOATS, with all his other requirements, you’re looking at six figures. My skywagon does 120kts but that’s with very small floats, 300HP and a much larger price tag.

An RV-6 will do all of that and more with 2 pax. Floats have been done. Skis are easy in comparison.

Might as well ask for true STOL capability, a useful load of 1200 lbs, and a free hangar. Go big or stay in the tie downs.

150 hp PA-22 converted to tailwheel. Runs on mogas. Not the perfect STOL but can get in and out of a lot of places.

Back