Plane dreaming

Foxhole

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Foxhole
Does anyone else plane dream?:mad2: I look all the time, mostly experimentals. My dream plane is the Zenith 801. :drool: Champagne taste on a ice water budget.
I am plane dreaming again. What do you think of this 152 with the ebay engine?
Would you figure $30K after it is all said and done? Are there better deals to be had?
Thank you for your opinions.
Fox

http://www.barnstormers.com/classified_773860_1981+Cessna+152+II.html

Engine
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Lycoming-O-...iation_Parts_Gear&hash=item257d69c4fb&vxp=mtr

whooo that would be a BAAAAD deal.

Is that because better 152's are or could be available? That engine is near TBO is that why? Or is the ebay engine not suitable? This overall "looks" cleaner than the old crate I trained in back in the day.
I appreciated your time to explain.

Last edited:
Is that because better 152's are or could be available? That engine is near TBO is that why? Or is the ebay engine not suitable?
I appreciated your time to explain.

The plane has an engine on it, that's past TBO. if it's the original engine, it's been MOHed 4 times already and most likely has little to no value.

So with that, you're buying a 10,000+ hour airframe. My guess is that it hasn't spent it's 10,000 hours flying to church and back on Sundays. It's been worked by less than graceful pilots. Could be fine, but the market for 10,000hr run out Cessna 152s is going to be small, and the buyer is going to be paying rock bottom price...maybe even scrap yard prices.

That engine is 30 years old, with 120 hours on it AND a prop strike.... No.

If you bought both, paid an A&P/IA to marry the two and sign it off as airworthy, you'd be in it $35-$40K and still have a $10,000 plane with an undesirable engine that would be hard to sell.

If you had that engine on that plane, I wouldn't pay $15,000 for it if I wanted a Cessna 152.

Thanks for the explanation. My limited experience has been with club planes. Ownership would be a new challenge..

Thanks for the explanation. My limited experience has been with club planes. Ownership would be a new challenge..

for 20K you can find a NICE Cessna 150 without without having to spend another 20K to make it airworthy. If you have $30K and want "this type" of plane, I'd probably look towards a PA28-140/150/160. You can scoop nice examples of those up for that sort of change, they have the tried and true Lycoming O-320 engine on them, extremely easy to fly and haul a decent load, they also have 50 gallon tanks that will take you about as far as your bladder will let you go.

P.S. unless you're an A&P or IA, fixing up a plane (especially a Cessna 152) is probably not going to work out very well financially.

Last edited:
150/2s are so cheap to buy that overhauling the engine doesn't really make financial sense, just sell and buy another with a lower time engine.

And when you can get a PA28-140 for not much more money...

Another question. The engine in question came off of a experimental... what would it take to put it back on a certified airframe?

Another question. The engine in question came off of a experimental... what would it take to put it back on a certified airframe?

I am pretty sure that cannot be done. :no:

Once experimental, always experimental.

Does anyone else plane dream?:mad2: I look all the time, mostly experimentals. My dream plane is the Zenith 801. :drool: Champagne taste on a ice water budget.
I am plane dreaming again. What do you think of this 152 with the ebay engine?
Would you figure $30K after it is all said and done? Are there better deals to be had?
Thank you for your opinions.
Fox

http://www.barnstormers.com/classified_773860_1981+Cessna+152+II.html

Engine
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Lycoming-O-...iation_Parts_Gear&hash=item257d69c4fb&vxp=mtr

Take the $30k and find another person wanting an airplane. Buy an RV -6 and you have a plane you can go fast, do aerobatics, burn mogas, and work on it yourself. :dunno:

I am pretty sure that cannot be done. :no:

Once experimental, always experimental.

it can be deemed airworthy by a mechanic, although it requires proving that it complies with the Type certificate completely, checking all pn's and all that. At that point you've already the work, might as well drop the rest of the money for an overhaul since its torn down completely.

Take the $30k and find another person wanting an airplane. Buy an RV -6 and you have a plane you can go fast, do aerobatics, burn mogas, and work on it yourself. :dunno:

I'd rather have a beat up 152 with a timed out engine than.......... A partner. :D

I can see both your points.
Thanks

I was half kidding with him, if you have another person that you think you could tie up $30K in a toy with, might not be a bad idea. I can't agree on pizza toppings with another human, I don't think I'd do too well with a partner.

I need to find a sugar momma to pay for my Mooney. I've got my fingers crossed I will come across the smoking hot daughter of an oil tycoon.

I need to find a sugar momma to pay for my Mooney. I've got my fingers crossed I will come across the smoking hot daughter of an oil tycoon.

STAY AWAY FROM MINE!

PROTIP: A friend of mine invited me over to his "girlfriends" house. We got there, it was ridiculous, she had a friggin movie theater in her home among other things, I'm not talking about a "home theater" full on movie screen, with seating for a hundred or so.

Then I met her. Very nice lookin' woman. 'bout 30 years older than my buddy but well preserved.

Apparently her husband was some sort of super surgeon and found a newer model wife, as a consequence, she got everything... and a newer model boy friend.

Point being, don't limit yourself to daughters, ex-wives work well and in many instances BETTER too. :)

Now that you mention it. She dosent have to be smoking hot depending on the depth of her portfolio. Mine won't even buy me a kite. :(

Mediocre and a RV-10 would be fine with me. I'm fairly easy to please. :D:D

Last edited:
Back