Plane down - Oceanside

It's currently VFR here.

Right after I dropped my kids at school I was thinking it was a beautiful day to fly, and that I was going to see if I could get on the schedule during my lunch. And right after that the radio news reported the crash. Crystal clear day.I won't speculate. Very sad. RIP.

Happened during the night apparently: "According to police, the plane may have crashed five hours earlier until it was finally spotted by the driver on her way to work."

Sounds like there was one survivor, imagine spending five hours in a crashed plane overnight...

Be careful out there folks

Any intel on whether this was a club or private plane?

Yep - the KUSI news shows it up on a tall hillside South and West of the airport. PA28?

https://www.kusi.com/police-one-dead-in-oceanside-plane-crash/
Yes, a '75 PA-28-151 Cherokee Warrior.

KOKB 291052Z AUTO 00000KT 7SM OVC006 10/10 A2994
KOKB 291005Z AUTO 00000KT 6SM BR BKN006 09/09 A2995
KOKB 290952Z AUTO 00000KT 4SM BR FEW006 09/09 A2995
KOKB 290938Z AUTO 00000KT 5SM BR FEW006 09/09 A2995
KOKB 290852Z AUTO 00000KT 6SM BR CLR 09/09 A2995

News report says the accident happened at about 2 AM, or 1000Z. At least according to the automated weather, the airport went from clear at 12:52 AM, to 600 few at 1:38 AM, to 600 broken at 2:05 AM, to 600 overcast at 2:52 AM.

Yes, a '75 PA-28-151 Cherokee Warrior.

KOKB 291052Z AUTO 00000KT 7SM OVC006 10/10 A2994
KOKB 291005Z AUTO 00000KT 6SM BR BKN006 09/09 A2995
KOKB 290952Z AUTO 00000KT 4SM BR FEW006 09/09 A2995
KOKB 290938Z AUTO 00000KT 5SM BR FEW006 09/09 A2995
KOKB 290852Z AUTO 00000KT 6SM BR CLR 09/09 A2995

News report says the accident happened at about 2 AM, or 1000Z. At least according to the automated weather, the airport went from clear at 12:52 AM, to 600 few at 1:38 AM, to 600 broken at 2:05 AM, to 600 overcast at 2:52 AM.

Was just looking at the approaches into that field. Some high terrain pops up all over.

Was just looking at the approaches into that field. Some high terrain pops up all over.

It appears that the crash site was on a hill immediately south of State Route 76, about a mile southwest of the airport. Not only is there higher terrain north of the airport, but there are also the R-areas of the Camp Pendleton Marine Corps base. Hours of the R-areas are intermittent, but to avoid them most northwestbound VFR departures head offshore a couple of miles before turning northwest to parallel the coastline, VPOCN -> VPSMP.

Screen Shot 2019-01-29 at 4.00.51 PM.jpg

It never gets any easier to read about these crashes, no matter how many years you have been doing it.

Having flown this airport many, many times, anything but straight in invites a meeting with Tera firma. Day VFr no prob in a light airplane. But two things are the bane of the field...

There is minimal margin for error to the north, a little better south and the friggin fog that piles in damn near all the way to the 15 freeway.

I’m really not surprised this happened.

I’m really not surprised this happened.
Me either..
you also have to dodge skydivers, the jump planes, and just about every student in San Diego doing a practice VOR A approach into there then going missed right above the field

More insidious, it is not uncommon for planes housed at Carlsbad (towered) being flown by non IR pilots to end up spending the night at Oceanside when CRQ goes IFR.. they'll scud run it into OKB.. not saying that's what happened here, but those weather updates posted above paint an eerie picture... granted CRQ tower would have been closed at 2AM

Me either..
you also have to dodge skydivers, the jump planes, and just about every student in San Diego doing a practice VOR A approach into there then going missed right above the field

More insidious, it is not uncommon for planes housed at Carlsbad (towered) being flown by non IR pilots to end up spending the night at Oceanside when CRQ goes IFR.. they'll scud run it into OKB.. not saying that's what happened here, but those weather updates posted above paint an eerie picture... granted CRQ tower would have been closed at 2AM

I will neither confirm or deny any of this as truth. But I did spend way too
Much time holding over that Effen VOR back in the day.

I remember actually racing the fog to CRQ! Like, the west end approach is IFR and on 24 going as fast as that warrior would take me 3 degrees nose down, full rental power!

Did they ever fix the roller coaster runway? I could do three thouch and goes before actually departing!

yep the fog can roll in quickly near the coast. very sad day

Don’t know if the deceased pilot was really the PIC, or if the other pilot was at the controls. I don’t know if Live ATC captures Oceanside’s communications or not. It’s an uncontrolled airport, so they should have been calling out their position and intentions.

Typical procedure for Oceanside is a straight out departure westbound over the bay before any turns. There’s a convent to the right of the airport and they don’t want aircraft flying over that convent. From the crash location, it sounds like they turned far too soon.

Did they ever fix the roller coaster runway? I could do three thouch and goes before actually departing!
ha! when's the last time you were here?

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk

Interesting. “High energy take off” as opposed to?
Climbing out in heavy fog certainly can lead to some quick spatial disorientation. Seems to be a real trend

ha! when's the last time you were here?

Oh gosh..... last time I landed there was maybe 2004 or so..... is George McGimsy still at Pinnicle?

Oh gosh..... last time I landed there was maybe 2004 or so..... is George McGimsy still at Pinnicle?
That's not too long ago... Yes, George is still there. So are most of the planes. Ha! (a couple 152 were blown over on the ramp). He did my instrument check ride right after getting examiner authority in 2000. I've probably bought him 2 or 3 cars over the years - still rent there.

That's not too long ago... Yes, George is still there. So are most of the planes. Ha! (a couple 152 were blown over on the ramp). He did my instrument check ride right after getting examiner authority in 2000. I've probably bought him 2 or 3 cars over the years - still rent there.

Wow.. he must have had wet ink on his DPe cert when he did mine. I got my instrument in mid 2000 from him.

Wow.. he must have had wet ink on his DPe cert when he did mine. I got my instrument in mid 2000 from him.
My checkride was in 6CP, maybe a couple months before you. Randy was my CFII. Kathleen was my primary.

Never flew with her... Randy, that slickster always talked sheet to me cuz I was in the Corps and he just a squid. John... well, last time I commented on him I got banned for a personal attack, even though he isn’t here. But I hope he is driving a bus or a trash truck these days

Never flew with her... Randy, that slickster always talked sheet to me cuz I was in the Corps and he just a squid. John... well, last time I commented on him I got banned for a personal attack, even though he isn’t here. But I hope he is driving a bus or a trash truck these days
Was john the chopper pilot? I flew through light hail with him. Ha!

Was john the chopper pilot? I flew through light hail with him. Ha!

No, he was one of the double II's and it was clear to me he was interested in was hours. I was ready, but he wouldn't sign me off. He got an offer from a regional and bounced out without even a good bye... Just left. Flew with Dirk and he was like, bro, you are so ready for a check ride. I told him what John's MO was and he just knew where I was going with it. I prob spent $1500 on hours that were unnecessary with him.

Back