Plane down near DXR

Student pilot on board, sounds like CFI pulled chute. Hope to hear more soon

At least he pulled it! Unlike a lot of Cirrus drivers...
Interested to hear more on this.

Ya gotta admit... The plane held up great and the chute does save lives....:yes::yes::)

Student pilot on board, sounds like CFI pulled chute. Hope to hear more soon

Student pilot or just a pilot receiving training? I wish I had the money to do all my primary training in a Cirrus.... Ok maybe not. I love the Eaglets. But still.

Ya gotta admit... The plane held up great and the chute does save lives....:yes::yes::)

Indeed it does... even outside of the operating envelope of the CAPS system there have been "saves." I've read about the chute being pulled below 1,000' AGL and effecting a positive outcome.

I will also mention that wind conditions in this area were pretty bad yesterday. Gusting over twenty. I think at the time of the accident they were still 9 to 15 kts.

No problem for a Cirrus. :no:
Indeed, I saw Cirrus landing while I was stuck in the airport lounge while waiting for the wind to come down. At first I thought "woo, Cirrus, yeah, high wing loading, high landing speed". Then a guy in a ragwing RANS S-6ES untied the thing and made a circuit around the patch, took off and landed with no drama. The wind kept blowing 20 knots right across the runway throughout. Well... I guess there's some to how you fly in addition to what you fly.

Word on the ramp: They ran out of fuel.

Yup! In today's news:

Danbury Chute Pull Aircraft Out Of Fuel

The NTSB says a Cirrus SR20 that parachuted to safety last week in Danbury, Conn., was out of fuel. In its preliminary report on the incident, which was widely publicized in the mainstream media, the NTSB says the aircraft, with a flight instructor, another pilot and a third person on board, was on final for the Danbury Airport when the pilot flying radioed to air traffic control that the aircraft was "out of fuel." Investigators later were able to drain just 26 ounces of fuel from the tanks and none had spilled when the plane settled to the ground about three miles from the airport.

The report says the flight originated in Danbury and the trio flew to Groton and landed. They were returning to Danbury when the prop stopped. The round trip was about 150 miles if both legs were flown direct. After making the radio call, the pilot pulled the parachute handle and the aircraft settled in some trees in a residential area, breaking off the empennage. There were no injuries. There was a remote data module on board and a memory card in the avionics and both have been sent to the NTSB's lab for analysis.

worked as advertised. I just have to wonder if were sending kids out there now with that thought in the back of their mind: I've got training wheels on my bike:
just a thought

worked as advertised. I just have to wonder if were sending kids out there now with that thought in the back of their mind: I've got training wheels on my bike:
just a thought

Are you saying planes never went down because of fuel exhaustion prior to BRS being added?

The instructor on board claims he checked fuel to tabs prior to flight and that the engine quit 3 minutes after the low fuel light came on. He should have had 30+ minutes when the light came on. Did he miss the light? Maybe but maybe not. Hopefully we will find out since the major systems are intact and the data logs have been recovered.

There was an accident March 2010 in Morton, WA. Just like the plane being discussed in this thread, it was an SR20. The plane lost power in flight due to fuel starvation. Unfortunately the pilot didn't pull the chute. He attempted to reach an airport but came up 2.5 miles short. One person survived but one didn't. Upon examination here is what was found according to the NTSB report:

"The failure of maintenance personnel to properly secure a fitting cap on the throttle and metering assembly inlet after conducting a fuel system pressure check, which resulted in a loss of engine power due to fuel starvation."

I think I'll reserve judgement till I have more data.

Still, another save for the chute. Might not have turned out so good without. Hurray for Cirrus.

Pretty hard to understand. I have dipped deeply into my reserves at times when executing SAR missions, but for an instructional flight to launch with insufficient fuel just boggles my mind.

Pretty hard to understand. I have dipped deeply into my reserves at times when executing SAR missions, but for an instructional flight to launch with insufficient fuel just boggles my mind.

Agreed............... Pi$$ Poor planning on the CFI's part.... Unless there was a fuel leak in that plane, the FAA / NTSB needs to slap that CFI and pilot REAL hard..:yes::mad2:

Have you two slept through the first 20 posts of this thread? :rolleyes:

The instructor on board claims he checked fuel to tabs prior to flight and that the engine quit 3 minutes after the low fuel light came on. He should have had 30+ minutes when the light came on. Did he miss the light? Maybe but maybe not. Hopefully we will find out since the major systems are intact and the data logs have been recovered.

That's his story and he's sticking to it!

Back