Plane down in Lake Hickory, Hickory NC

jallen0

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Jallen0
According to multiple reports one person is deceased, and the plane hit a high voltage transmission line knocking out power to 20,000 locations before ending up in Lake Hickory. Unknown what type of plane at this time.

Two notifications received from Carolinas Fire Page:

Alert at 11:49A
GRACE CHAPEL FD, NC (CALDWELL 55) *PLANE CRASH* SELKIRK DR HICKORY, NC. PLANE CRASH INTO LAKE HICKORY; MULTIPLE 911 CALLS; N239WD SCODA SUPER PETREL LS AMPHIBIOUS BI-PLANE; UNABLE TO LOCATE ANY SOULS IN THE WATER; ENG555; ADD CALDWELL EMS, GRANITE FALLS (109, BOAT), SAWMILLS (TAC40, BOAT40); S/C DUKE ENERGY, HICKORY POWER DUE TO LIVE POWER LINES IN THE WATER; S/C GRACE CHAPEL AND NORTH CATAWBA (25) FOR DIVE TEAMS TO LOCATE SOULS

Alert at 12:02P
UPDATE GRACE CHAPEL FD, NC (CALDWELL 55) *PLANE CRASH* SELKIRK DR HICKORY, NC. CLT AIRPORT ADV PLANE OCCUPIED X 1 SOUL; PATIENT LOCATED AND ONBOARD RESCUE BOAT WITH HICKORY FIRE IN CARE OF CALDWELL EMS; ALL RESCUERS OUT OF THE WATER; IC CANCELLING ALL INBOUND RESOURCES NOT ON SCENE; NCSHP ON SCENE

Sent from my SM-S918U using Tapatalk

Looking at Google Earth for lines crossing the lake, I see zero orange balls.

Sectional show power lines crossing at far east side of lake

Further review shows the accident happened in the area circled in red. Looks like maybe a power line crosses there too but obscures by the NDB info box.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-08-13 at 1.10.41 PM.jpeg
    Screenshot 2023-08-13 at 1.10.41 PM.jpeg
    581.4 KB · Views: 21
ConstaP67 check your PMs

This is nearly an hour old, received at approximately 1:30P
UPDATE GRACE CHAPEL FD, NC (CALDWELL 55) *PLANE CRASH* SELKIRK DR GRANITE FALLS, NC. PLANE OCCUPIED X2 SOULS; 1 SOUL RESCUED; PILOT STILL IN PLANE; BEGINNING EXTRICATION; ADD HICKORY (BATT1, BOAT, CREWS), SHERILLS FORD TERRELL (CATAWBA 16), NC WILDLIFE, FAA, HICKORY PD, MULTIPLE OTHER AID AGENCIES FOR MARINE RESOURCES

Second time in twelve months a Super Petrel has hit power lines over water and crashed.

Duke refuses to put orange balls on any of the power lines across the lakes in the Catawba basin. We had a Bonanza sever a set over Lake Norman and you think they'd have taken the time to put the balls while restringing them, but no. The seaplane pilots here have been lobbying for years. Admittedly, that set was a bonehead manouver (I know the pilot) but that set is hard to see because the towers are not taller than the trees on both sides of the right of way. The ones further up and down stream have larger towers that stand clear of the terrain which makes them more noticeable.

One of the local seaplane instructors here says that it was another instructor and a student.

Back