Plane Down in Farmingdale

Sad.

The pilot of the Marchetti four-seater was practicing landing the plane by making repeated approaches or "touch and goes" when he crashed, said Jim Peters, a spokesman for the Federal Aviation Administration.
I don't think I've ever taken passengers out when practicing touch and goes. Do people normally do that? If so, is it to give them a ride, to practice closer to max gross, or something else?

Sad.

I don't think I've ever taken passengers out when practicing touch and goes. Do people normally do that? If so, is it to give them a ride, to practice closer to max gross, or something else?

I have done CFIs solo or with a CFI in the right seat. I remember we loaded up the seats in a Saratoga to let me experience a max gross weight short field landing. It requires an amazing amount of power and a very high deck angle. That may be the only time I have done a T&G with more than a CFI aboard.

-Skip

I have done CFIs solo or with a CFI in the right seat. I remember we loaded up the seats in a Saratoga to let me experience a max gross weight short field landing. It requires an amazing amount of power and a very high deck angle. That may be the only time I have done a T&G with more than a CFI aboard.

-Skip

A PA32 with the seats full and power off has the flight characteristics and glide ratio of a metal safe.

Back