Plane down in Denton, TX

Nonsense. When they get on the back of an excons Harley they know it is dangerous, oh so dangerous. Same with little airplanes. Plenty of sensible spouses that won't fly we hear about them here all the time.

... on women and freedom.

Some folks are raised in a way as to be more passive than others. I, personally would like everyone to have a very healthy assertiveness. That's a pipe dream.

Take care of everyone under your charge to the best of your ability - make sure they are informed. PIC might do well to understand the most conservative risk profile on board, and manage risk to fit that profile... or don't take them up.

"Pilot In Command"

Wonder if a seat belt is going to stop that tree from shearing off the passenger front seat....looks like a landing that simply had a tree that was four feet too close to the cabin. High winds were involved, doesn't look like a stall, but rather a fire department getting into the cabin.
You are contradicting yourself. Yes the opening of the front/windscreen was done by the responders. It was not done by a tree. The tree did not shear off the passenger seat - look at the photos again: both seats and including headrests are fully intact.

I fly my wife and kids and I know she knows these things can crash and kill us. But as a non pilot I think she has the "It can't happen to me" thought process that is drilled out of us.

I have explained the dangers of night flying since this incident and we are going to talk through our flights and make a determination if we need to make a night flight or not.

I think we will still do the occasional Kid free evening so go fly at night to do some sight seeing for the sake of doing night flight but I think we may stop the 3 hour legs leaving after dark when the trip can easily be made the following morning.

I know that is somewhat contradictory but we do enjoy flying at night for the sake of flying at night, sunset flights, etc.

She often throws out "I know it can crash but I have faith in your abilities and when its my time, its my time" I hate that cliche stuff but that is how she rationalizes the risk to herself.

... on women and freedom.

Some folks are raised in a way as to be more passive than others. I, personally would like everyone to have a very healthy assertiveness. That's a pipe dream.

Take care of everyone under your charge to the best of your ability - make sure they are informed. PIC might do well to understand the most conservative risk profile on board, and manage risk to fit that profile... or don't take them up.

"Pilot In Command"
For some in your pipe dream, informing them makes them no closer to being able to make a well-informed decision, nor does informing them relieve you of your responsibility.

When you lead others, you must think and act for them (meaning in their best interest). Sometimes the burdens of leadership are heavy. This father will know that by experience. We all must swallow that when we review our preflight and make the go/no-go decision. Make it and live with the outcome, but don't let a recent unfortunate event make the decision for you. You knew this could happen. If you didn't then, YOU did not evaluate the risk appropriately before starting this hobby and maybe that's what you should be rethinking.

Note: you in this context means anyone reading this thread

Back