Plane down in central IL

At one point or another I've been fluent in four different languages, yet I have never known the words in any of them to properly express my condolences. My airplane partners have always been or become good friends. I cannot imagine being in your shoes. I am so sorry for your loss.

I want to thank everyone for the kind words. It's been a tough couple of days. The worst part has been wondering what possessed him to depart in the weather he did.
Very sorry for your loss.

What was the weather when they departed?

Sorry for your loss.

I don't see any history at Kewanee(possibly no reporting) but in either direction you have C75 then KMLI, both reporting 2-300' ceilings(approx, 28 miles away) around the time of the accident.

The Plymouth State site is pretty good with historical aviation weather.

http://vortex.plymouth.edu/cgi-bin/gen_sa_parse-u.cgi?ident=IL&if=sfc_dat&yy=15&mm=08&dd=30&hh=14

http://vortex.plymouth.edu/cgi-bin/gen_sa_parse-u.cgi?ident=IL&if=sfc_dat&yy=15&mm=08&dd=30&hh=15

I know the plane, but not sure whether or not I've me the accident pilot. Regardless, it's a real bummer situation. RIP and thoughts go out to the families of the departed. :(

Wi Flyer posted the aviation weather, what I read was 2 1/2 vis, mist & 200' ceilings. Locally, the "non aviation" weather was reporting 100 feet ceiling and fog too. He might not have known about the 100 feet, but he sure the heck could've seen the fog, right?

Couple that with the fact that he had called us to say he had problems with the autopilot on the way up there, and I am stunned he'd take off like that.

I just cannot wrap my head around it. It makes no sense at all.

Then you had the forecast and actual weather breaking markedly just 2-3 hours later, making it a non-event.

Yes, and that makes it all the more unexplainable. 2 1/2 hours later it was clear skies.

At least the girl in the back survived...

Hopefully she can provide the details of why they crashed..

Back