Plane down in Aurora, CO

Huge debris field. The type you see when they alllllllmost pull out. Video looks like another episode of play stupid games, win stupid prizes.

WTF? That just burns me. Accidents happen, but this might be just too much.

Huge debris field. The type you see when they alllllllmost pull out. Video looks like another episode of play stupid games, win stupid prizes.

This.

I wasn't sure when I saw the original crash site video. The before crash video removed a lot of doubt in my book: loss of control while maneuvering at low altitude...

Powaton and County Line Road is on my commute. Karen also. I worked from home today. She said she didn't realize all the fire trucks in the field were for a downed airplane when she drove by.

Looks like might have been to low and too slow. Looks like the pilot tried to control the roll and over corrected.

At least he didn't have it loaded up to gross with passengers like the "I'm pretty sure I could roll this thing" Baron guy.

That guy would have killed himself in a J-3 Cub. Nothing to do with the airplane type.

Without a doubt. I was simply (and half jokingly) commenting on the fact that so many high performance twins are selling for dirt cheap these days which increases the odds of a loose canon performing much grander stupid pilot than he might in a J-3.

Without a doubt. I was simply (and half jokingly) commenting on the fact that so many high performance twins are selling for dirt cheap these days which increases the odds of a loose canon performing much grander stupid pilot than he might in a J-3.

Same thing happened in the MU-2 market, airframes were cheap so low skill pilots buying them and then crashing.

Hmmmm..

http://kathrynaviationnews.com/?p=211138

Was a Captain for Frontier...

This guy should have known better..:mad2:

The Frontier employee says the plane Pelley was flying was designed to do aerobatics. The employee says Pelley was one of the airline’s best pilots. The employee said flying was his passion.
Frontier Airlines says in a statement that it was “saddened to learn of the death of Captain Greg Pelley. Our thoughts and prayers are with Captain Pelley’s family and others affected by this tragedy.

He just bought the plane two weeks ago. Wonder if he had transition training? Maybe out on a pretty day just seeing what it could do. From the video he appeared to moving along good. No telling what the G loading was. Sorry for the loss of another aviator.

In one of the videos he's about 500' AGL and a 90 degree bank that continues with overbanking to at least 100 degrees.

Anyone who's made it to an airliner cockpit that doesn't think that's stupid, is going to die. Or has a death wish.

Yeah, I said it. Deal with it. He willfully put the aircraft in a totally stupid attitude and speed.

And paid for it by splattering himself over about a 1/4 mile swath.

In one of the videos he's about 500' AGL and a 90 degree bank that continues with overbanking to at least 100 degrees.

Anyone who's made it to an airliner cockpit that doesn't think that's stupid, is going to die. Or has a death wish.

Yeah, I said it. Deal with it. He willfully put the aircraft in a totally stupid attitude and speed.

And paid for it by splattering himself over about a 1/4 mile swath.
Agree. Thankfully he only killed himself.

Agree. Thankfully he only killed himself.

And ruined a perfectly good airplane in the process..... I know you cannot recreate a human... BUT.. They ain't making Aerostars anymore either..:(..

Last edited:
This posted by someone in response to a news article...

"This is the pilot who just last week was flying his plane so very low and doing aerobatic-type maneuvers over our horse farms. One rider was almost thrown because the horse had been spooked by the low flying plane. This is not a laughing matter. This is serious."

We think it is pretty serious too.

This posted by someone in response to a news article...

"This is the pilot who just last week was flying his plane so very low and doing aerobatic-type maneuvers over our horse farms. One rider was almost thrown because the horse had been spooked by the low flying plane. This is not a laughing matter. This is serious."

We think it is pretty serious too.
For multiple cameras to be filming this guy's antics, is a pretty good indication that he had done this before.

And ruined a perfectly good airplane in the process..... I know you cannot recreate a human... BUT.. They ain't making Aerostars anymore either..:(..

I was actually ticked about that too. Aerostars look neat. If the prices keep falling, you'll be able to get one for about $20 in a couple more years. ;)

Yep. It might sound blackhearted, but I feel worse about the loss of the Aerostar than I do about that idiotic pilot.

Nowadays? No. Anything unusual to people, they whip out the cell phone and start filming.

We had a local 18 yr old girl thrown from their parents car and killed last week. Not wearing her seat belt in the back seat. Yep, several stopped to video and take pics with their phones before even trying to render aide. There is a time and place to drag the phone out.

We had a local 18 yr old girl thrown from their parents car and killed last week. Not wearing her seat belt in the back seat. Yep, several stopped to video and take pics with their phones before even trying to render aide. There is a time and place to drag the phone out.

sociopathic society we muddle in, eh?

An AOA indicator would have saved him.

They don't know how. Either out of laziness or stupidity or both.

But they've got that record button figured out.

Same thing with the people filming the airplane, really. Most were dialing 911 hoping someone with a clue would show up to tell them what was going on.

The one video has audio of a guy in the background calling 911 asking them to get the FAA or the NTSB or someone to do something. He also said "this guy has done this before". Ignoring that last part since it may or may not have been the same guy in the same airplane, the general public's reaction to airplanes flying low is pretty much...

"ERMAGHERD! Send someone who knows WTF is going on! Quick!"

My grandfathers generation, well no cell phones... They would have wisely just watched the moron doing his stunts, crashing, and they would have hopped in the pickup truck to go see if the guy survived.

They wouldn't have watched it on the news ten minutes after it happened in another State and no one would be making a big fuss about it except the town busybody, who would also be wisely watched and ignored.

We haven't adjusted emotionally as humans very well to the instant everywhere "breaking news" modern mentality yet. At least here on PoA we all know the pilot was doing something stupid and reckless that he was trained against doing. Imagine the level of freak out of the average non-pilot who wonders if all of us are that stupid and dangerous. Now export that freak out nationwide via the Internet.

Is it such a surprise we are turning into a nation of scared ninnies?

The TV showing us flaming death from the sky and asking inane questions like, "We don't know where the airplane was coming from or going to yet, nor if it was on a flight plan! We will find out for you. Stay tuned for more fear, uncertainty, and doubt, right after this cute insurance commercial with a gecko."

Back