Plane down Beaver Island Michigan

Ugh RIP. Beaver island is a beautiful place to fly, though the island itself is a bit resorty. I wouldn't expect much traffic there this time of year.

Bad weather that night...we were nearby at my parents that morning (not on the island though) and although the morning looked good, they later had 6" snow that night.

Edit: Oops, my mistake. Just talked to my mom: nice weather Sunday night...snow came Monday night.

Ugh RIP. Beaver island is a beautiful place to fly, though the island itself is a bit resorty. I wouldn't expect much traffic there this time of year.

Sure you are thinking of Beaver? I think of it as a flight back to Mayberry, pretty much all businesses are owned by the islanders there, permanent population if I recall right is like 1000, all the sleep places are locally owned motels and B&B's... I guess its been almost a decade since I was there so maybe its changed, but when I was there there wasn't a fancy feel at all... I recall the rental car choices were a couple mid 90's suburbans and Geo Trackers.

Sure is sad it can't be investigated, I would think that is an important piece of closure for the family to have some idea what happened to their loved one...

Sure you are thinking of Beaver? I think of it as a flight back to Mayberry, pretty much all businesses are owned by the islanders there, permanent population if I recall right is like 1000, all the sleep places are locally owned motels and B&B's... I guess its been almost a decade since I was there so maybe its changed, but when I was there there wasn't a fancy feel at all... I recall the rental car choices were a couple mid 90's suburbans and Geo Trackers.
Agreed about Beaver - very rural and even backwoodsy along the gravel road to KSJX, not resorty at all as I recall. Perhaps he was thinking of Mackinac?

RIP to the pilot, sad story. :(

I didn't land, just flew over on the way to/from North Fox and thought it looked resorty. I'll have to pay it a visit since it's not.

Agreed about Beaver - very rural and even backwoodsy along the gravel road to KSJX, not resorty at all as I recall. Perhaps he was thinking of Mackinac?

RIP to the pilot, sad story. :(
I would consider Beaver Island to be resorty in the sense that tourism is pretty much the only industry there is. Yes, its more spartan, woodsy and rough around the edges compared to Mackinac Island which is part of what I like about it. And of course Mackinac Island is itself more spartan, woodsy and rough around the edges when compared to tons of resort destinations in the world. But all of them have one thing in common. If you live there, its very likely you're either independently wealthy or the bulk of your income depends on visitors showing up and spending money. In that sense, rough though it is, its resorty.

If I ever had to go down, Beaver Island is where I'd like to be.....

Too soon?

Back