Plane down at TUP

ktup-flyer

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
ktup-flyer
Still trying to find out more info. Saw a big ploom of smoke about a mile south of the rwy

"at least six people"...
:(

ETA: Now they are saying four people. Sad.

Last edited:
Uncle said he heard they reported smoke in the cockpit.

I just talked to the guy working in the tower and he told me they think his exhaust fell off and he either got carbon monoxide poisoning or it leaned the engine out and it quit.

I have never heard of what you would do when your cockpit fills up with smoke - I'm going on my discovery flight next month and starting my lessons in July. That's pretty scary stuff! I keep reading these trying to figure out what the "right" way to respond would have been (on the cases where its pilot error) in hopes if I ever catch myself in a similar situation I would remember it... I assume the smoke in the cockpit got where he couldn't see and tried to turn back to the field and never made it.... What would be a solution if that happened to you? Break a window? open a window?

Just curious.

Thanks

. . . I assume the smoke in the cockpit got where he couldn't see and tried to turn back to the field and never made it.... What would be a solution if that happened to you? Break a window? open a window?

Just curious.

Thanks

Depends on the source of the fire. Many times, if the fire is in the cabin you don't want to vent the smoke as it might introduce more oxygen to the fire. If electrical, start by shutting off all unneeded electrical equipment or simply turning the master off entirely. If the smoke is coming from an area external to the cabin (engine/wing), you do what you can to close vents/windows and generally initiate an emergency decent and find the nearest airport. If there isn't anything close by and the smoke continues, you land off-airport. Very few things in-flight are as fear-inducing as an in-flight fire.

I have never heard of what you would do when your cockpit fills up with smoke - I'm going on my discovery flight next month and starting my lessons in July. That's pretty scary stuff! I keep reading these trying to figure out what the "right" way to respond would have been (on the cases where its pilot error) in hopes if I ever catch myself in a similar situation I would remember it... I assume the smoke in the cockpit got where he couldn't see and tried to turn back to the field and never made it.... What would be a solution if that happened to you? Break a window? open a window?

Just curious.

Thanks

Practice and continuing education help some to alleviate the bad mistakes or emergency reactions. If you are worried about scenarios in which people often die and what to do, go order "The Killing Zone" off Amazon. It does case studies of deadly accidents and a lot of the common reasons pilots bite the dust. Sometimes when **** goes south there isn't much you can do except hope for some luck. Any time you make an off field landing that could very well be the end of it. Even really good pilots sometimes die unfortunately.

Back