Plane down at KMEM

Very sad. It was definitely IFR, probably low IFR. The family was from Memphis, I understand. I can't figure out why the guy was where he was, way over by 18R when he was cleared to land on 18L. It looks like ATC would have been letting him know he was way off. I understand the wife and kids survived, only the husband/Dad was lost.

From what I understand he went down near the old Air National Guard hangars, which are just left of 18C so I think he was between 18C and 18L

Seth: A lot of time and effort will probably be spent to make that determination.

Best,

Dave

Now, What exactly caused the crash?

It appears that the controller was telling the pilot about "a" plane he was building and then lied to the landing pilot that he was properly lined up on the correct runway when he really was not. :nono:

It appears that the controller was telling the pilot about "a" plane he was building and then lied to the landing pilot that he was properly lined up on the correct runway when he really was not. :nono:

There is gonna be paperwork for that guy to fill out. :rolleyes:

From Joe Budge on AvSig.

Best,

Dave

==================================

N9243C, a '78 Lance. It was, indeed, on an IFR flight plan.

http://flightaware.com/live/flight/N9243C

ASN confirms the tail number but it's not clear if they're using sources any different than I was (look back far enough in FlightAware for a Lance that started out at the Greenbriar.)

Regards,
Joe

That's what I got out of the article as well.

I would love to read that article. Emmitt was a friend of mine.

Back