Plane down at KBLM

inactive15

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Inactive15
AP reporting a small plane down with 5 on board, four dead and one still missing. Based on eyewitness reports the plane broke apart in flight.

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5hAB_6UPzUy5rTvbMgvHDs_EqziMQD9DSTLMG0

On another note, this is my first official post. I have been following this forum for the last two years and it has been very informative on many levels. I'm convinced that everyones collective wisdom here has made me a better pilot..... Thank you! :)

Witness reported - "Cessna 337 Skymaster, came across the airfield low and fast, before abruptly pulling up, causing a piece of the plane to break off."

I wonder what this would indicate?

I wonder if it was a wirestrike and the pilot attempted to avoid it at the last moment. I can't see how you could pull hard enough to cause the tail to seperate. Of course, there's the old standby: the witness didn't know what he/she was looking at.

Very unfortunate, condolences to the families of all involved. I speculate that the pilot might have realized the gear was not deployed and instinctively pulled up striking the tail against the runway. Based on the video after the tail strike it looks like the plane veered to the right and hit the ground. It certainly looks like a very high energy impact.

Very unfortunate, condolences to the families of all involved. I speculate that the pilot might have realized the gear was not deployed and instinctively pulled up striking the tail against the runway. Based on the video after the tail strike it looks like the plane veered to the right and hit the ground. It certainly looks like a very high energy impact.

Well if it was a tail strike that might explain it. Who knows we'll have to wait for the NTSB report to come out.

On another not Glad you finally posted hope you will be more active.

Back