Plane crash near Gaston's

TangoWhiskey

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
3Green
A plane has gone down just south of Gaston's and Marion County airport...

Approximate location

Story

Current weather in the area:

KBPK 071853Z AUTO 19005KT 10SM FEW006 BKN050 OVC075 23/22 A3013 RMK AO2 RAB33E53 SLP192 P0000 T02330222

KFLP 071855Z AUTO 22004KT 9SM SCT049 OVC060 23/22 A3013 RMK AO1 P0001

I would not mention this. Some on here get very upset if you mention a crash and Gaston's in the same paragraph. They think it hurts the reputation of the fly-in. Does not matter if they are 3-4 months apart.
Ask me how I know.

I would not mention this. Some on here get very upset if you mention a crash and Gaston's in the same paragraph. They think it hurts the reputation of the fly-in. Does not matter if they are 3-4 months apart.
Ask me how I know.
Troy did it in a new thread which is the appropriate way. No one is going to get upset at him.......

"Near" is pretty qualitative. It is being reported as at Buffalo City. The mention of Gastons only gives you an orientations point with regard to what part of the country it happened in. The plane was a Cessna 210 enroute from Illinois to Texas

Last edited:
Troy did it in a new thread which is the appropriate way. No one is going to get upset at him.......

I happen to agree with Denny on this one.

Anyway, any more details on the crash?

Refer them here. We will discuss who's number one.:tongue:
Ask me how I know.

any more details on the crash?

From the morning paper as I remember - people in the area reported that the plane flew around low in the area for some time before it crashed. Engine sound did not indicate problem. Crash scene seemed to show steep descent, no long trail of busted tree limbs or wreckage. Intense fire at the crash site. Weather observed to the north wasn't challenging but conditions worsened to the south.

Somebody posted the link to the FlightAware page of this flight on the Red board, it was very strange with a lot of back and forth around the Gaston's area before heading back on course... to the crash site.

Ah, it was Diana... http://flightaware.com/live/flight/N2081U

The Flightaware flight log headings don't match the indicated flight path. Also doesn't show any low level flight as was reported but he probably lost radar coverage.

I've seen a couple of other Flightaware flight path depictions that didn't match the known flight path. One was an airliner from Europe to Memphis that my son was on. It showed a deviation about the length of Lake Erie back to the East which he said did not happen. As a former C-130 pilot, I think he is a credible observer.

The Flightaware flight log headings don't match the indicated flight path. Also doesn't show any low level flight as was reported but he probably lost radar coverage.

I'm sure you know this but over a large portion of northern AR and southern MO there is no radar coverage below 4k'...5k'...6k'.

I know that there isn't radar coverage in that area (I've heard it from Memphis often enough), it didn't dawn on me that the flight aware track depends on radar. Interesting that it shows what it shows though.

From the Thursday morning paper - one wing found about a half mile from the crash site. Tail also found far from the crash site.

the plane flew around low in the area for some time before it crashed. Engine sound did not indicate problem. Crash scene seemed to show steep descent, no long trail of busted tree limbs or wreckage. Intense fire at the crash site. Weather observed to the north wasn't challenging but conditions worsened to the south.

very strange with a lot of back and forth around the Gaston's area before heading back on course... to the crash site.

one wing found about a half mile from the crash site. Tail also found far from the crash site.

Starting to sound like an in flight break up.

With the above information, combined with the weather shown on FlightAware, I'm betting this accident report is gonna sound an awful lot like Scott Crossfield's. :frown2:

Back