Plane crash lands at east Kansas City

bbchien said:
4501 feet for a Merlin? Yup. EVERY INCH.

Not to split hairs, but that is a Metroliner, not a Merlin. IIRC they are not the same. But the EVERY INCH comment still stands.:yes:

Police said the plane was flying from El Paso, Texas, and had intended to land at the airport in Grain Valley.
Bit lost maybe?

Greebo said:
Bit lost maybe?

According to the news article, he "landed" at his intended destination.

James Dean

Hmm. Ok - wasn't quite clear if the grain valley reference meant that airport or a different one.

I've been to that airport (but it's been awhile).

As I remember it - Approaching R27 you have to drop in over buildings/houses, trees, power-lines, a road, and a fence. The road is close enough to the end of the runway that a sign is placed at the taxiway entrance to 27 prohibiting run-ups on the runway.

It is a tight fit.

edit:

http://www.airnav.com/airport/3GV

added picture of approach, you can see how close the road and fence are to the runway.

Attachments

• 3gv-r27.jpg
    3gv-r27.jpg
    47.6 KB · Views: 37
Last edited:
Whats the book landing distance for standard conditions for a metroliner?

I fly in and out of there every now and then in the Extra. The big runway is 44' wide.

Wow. Just about a mile or 2 south of my uncle's house (E Pink Hill Road).

The uncle and aunt who are afraid to fly.

I think I'll hear about this.

KMBC's Lara Moritz reported that the tail of the plane was on the ground and the rear landing gear was visibly damaged.

Witnesses said the plane was flying very low to the ground just before it hit.
Didn't know it was a tail dragger (but looks like it is now.)

Don't planes usually fly low to the ground just before they land? I think maybe this is a plot....:hairraise: who was on that plane....it came from Texas....

Matthew said:
I've been to that airport (but it's been awhile).

As I remember it - Approaching R27 you have to drop in over buildings/houses, trees, power-lines, a road, and a fence. The road is close enough to the end of the runway that a sign is placed at the taxiway entrance to 27 prohibiting run-ups on the runway.

It is a tight fit.

edit:

http://www.airnav.com/airport/3GV

added picture of approach, you can see how close the road and fence are to the runway.

There's a similar theshold/obstacle configuration concerning the close fence, at Harvey Field ( S43, ~2300 feet) here in WA although the runway is much narrower.

My cfi took me to Grain Valley for x-wind practice. It's a narrow runway, and with prevailing winds around here running N/S, the E/W runway gives plenty of opportunity for x-winds.

During one of my landings I'll never forget the look on the lady's face as we made eye contact. She in her car, me barreling down on her on short final to 27.

Back