Plane crash, Lake Winnipesaukee NH

PaulS

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
PaulS
Fatal Cessna 150 crash, a little after 7, Saturday night. Looks like he flew the downwind for 26 at LCI, extended over the lake, which is not unusual if there is traffic, began his base then lost it. They recovered the pilot. I believe he was separated from aircraft. They found him in 60 feet of water. I had been up during the day on Thursday, it was IMC due to smoke at 5,000 feet. Very hazy in the pattern. Not sure what happened here, not a lot of lights facing east at night here, but not really a black hole either. RIP

Discussed it today over lunch after flying. He flew right down runway 8, the wind was calm and he could have landed but maybe read 26 is the designated calm wind runway? Once he passed the shore the lake is a big black hole. Tough flying for someone that has only had their ppl for 5 months. His mother was waiting at the airport. Awful stuff.

So many tragedies in so few days. Gives one pause. RIP.

Yikes, this is sad, RIP.

I definitely can relate to having a PPL and getting caught into things we were not taught.

More simulated, some actual, some inadvertent VFR flight into IMC conditions, day/night/lake, and more details about haze (never experienced this until 3 years after having my license), need to have a taster on this when getting our licenses and during checkrides.

So sad, just landed there a week ago

Discussed it today over lunch after flying. He flew right down runway 8, the wind was calm and he could have landed but maybe read 26 is the designated calm wind runway? Once he passed the shore the lake is a big black hole. Tough flying for someone that has only had their ppl for 5 months. His mother was waiting at the airport. Awful stuff.

Argh, that's terrible. He was probably afraid to do a straight in because some people don't like them, sad. 26 is the designated calm runway, but 26 has a left pattern which brings you up against a good sized mountain and close to a large hill on base. It was changed to a right pattern a couple year back, which is not near terrain, but some vocal pilots apparently didn't like that and it went back to left, I guess some people struggle with right pattern turns. If I had been doing that flight, I would have come straight into 8 and been done with it.

Maybe there was someone in the pattern when he was coming in, but I tend to doubt it. There are a lot of things to unpack here. A new pilot flying north into a great wilderness in the dark is just not a good idea IMO. Smoke was probably a factor, it doesn't show up in metars, the day I flew (2 days before) all the stations nearby were reporting vis at 10 sky clear, they weren't picking up the smoke. You had to dig into the forecast discussion to find a comment about smoke in the TAFs. In the air above a few thousand agl, it was IMC, barely had ground contact looking straight down. At pattern altitude it was pretty heavy haze, although viz was about 10 miles. Probably similar on Saturday, but more pronounced in the dark.

I've had good instructors, who gave me big admonitions to take flying in baby steps as I was gaining experience. That was good advice.

I hope the NTSB can shed some light on what happened. RIP

So many factors that would have to be considered,very. Sad RIP

TBH I'm glad I'm not a CFI. It would terrify me to sign kids off as ready to be pilots, knowing all the unexpected stuff I ran into once I got my PPL and started pushing conditions in the wild. Kudos to the good ones out there that do their best, knowing it will never be 100%.

TBH I'm glad I'm not a CFI. It would terrify me to sign kids off as ready to be pilots, knowing all the unexpected stuff I ran into once I got my PPL and started pushing conditions in the wild. Kudos to the good ones out there that do their best, knowing it will never be 100%.
One reason I got out of it. All of my students are ok as far as I know, but my last flight as CFI was 12/20/84.

The pilot has been identified as a 70 year old who moved to an air park in West Ossipee in 2020. Seems at odds with prior descriptions of the pilot in this thread.

Regardless, RIP.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back