Plane crash kills two - Georgetown, TX

ausrere

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
Lisa
Sad story, but what's a "Skyline Cessna 182"? At least they didn't mention that they did/didn't have a flight plan. I also hate the way they make it sound like the plane broke up BEFORE it hit the ground. TV news reports don't indicate that (and the fact that two survived would tend to tell you otherwise).

Plane crash kills two, injures two
Aircraft had engine trouble on departure, officials say.

By Katie Humphrey
AMERICAN-STATESMAN STAFF
Sunday, March 05, 2006

A small plane crashed shortly after taking off from the Georgetown Municipal Airport on Saturday morning, killing the pilot and one passenger and injuring two others.

Alfredo Gonzalez, 34, of Austin was flying the Skyline Cessna 182. Leon Garcia-Cano, 38, of Monterrey, Nuevo León, was also killed, said Keith Hutchinson, spokesman for the City of Georgetown.

Two other men, ages 38 and 39, from Monterrey, Nuevo León, were transported to the hospital. The city refused to release their names.

One man was originally taken to Brackenridge Hospital and later transferred to the Brooke Army Medical Center burn unit in San Antonio. The second man was taken to Scott & White Hospital in Temple before being transferred to a burn unit at Parkland Hospital in Dallas.

The small propeller plane appeared to be having engine trouble on takeoff. It broke up and caught fire when it went down in a field near the end of the runway, about 200 yards south of Lakeway Drive, about 11 a.m., Hutchinson said.

Witnesses said the plane was flying very low, barely clearing the power lines along the road, he said.

One of the injured men was able to walk to the road to seek help, and witnesses flagged down a passing fire engine, Hutchinson said.

The men were on their way to Colorado to go skiing.

It is unclear whether the plane, which is registered in Mexico, has been involved in any previous crashes, said Roland Herwig, a spokesman for the Federal Aviation Administration.

FAA investigators from San Antonio are looking into the crash and have notified Mexican aviation authorities, Herwig said.

The National Transportation and Safety Board will investigate the crash site today, Hutchinson said.

It was the first plane crash in Williamson County this year.

A Cessna 208 under contract with FedEx crashed into a home northeast of Round Rock in October after taking off from Austin-Bergstrom International Airport. The pilot, who was trying to make an emergency landing at the Georgetown Airport, escaped with minor injuries.

There were two accidents near the Georgetown Airport in 2004. A small plane was forced to land on Interstate 35 frontage road near Williams Drive and knocked over two road signs in April 2004, but no one was injured.

One month later, two small planes collided while trying to land on the same runway at the airport. Neither pilot was seriously injured, but the accident briefly reignited debate over whether to build a control tower at the small airport.

ausrere said:
Sad story, but what's a "Skyline Cessna 182"? At least they didn't mention that they did/didn't have a flight plan. I also hate the way they make it sound like the plane broke up BEFORE it hit the ground. TV news reports don't indicate that (and the fact that two survived would tend to tell you otherwise).

Skyline... almost has a good ring to it for an airplane name.
The plane could have been breaking up in the air, especially if it blew a motor mount under takeoff power. Maybe we'll find out for sure later.

Dave Krall CFII said:
Skyline... almost has a good ring to it for an airplane name.
The plane could have been breaking up in the air, especially if it blew a motor mount under takeoff power. Maybe we'll find out for sure later.

Warning, thread creep...

Skyline. For those who remember the days of named telephone exchanges...

Our phone number in the 1950s was SKyline 3-2754. Today that would be 753-2754. Oh, I know, I'm dating myself...

Ghery said:
Warning, thread creep...

Our phone number in the 1950s was SKyline 3-2754. Today that would be 753-2754. Oh, I know, I'm dating myself...
Prescott 12379. That was from the early '60s so it obviously got stuck in my head.

"...appeared to be having engine trouble..." is another standard, isn't it? If it isn't going up, the engine must be bad.

At least the investigators generally seem to know how much value to place on eyewitness reports. I wonder how soon they will do (did) the weight and balance calculation.

Ghery said:
Warning, thread creep...

Continued thread creep: In November I brought back from my Scottsdale house two glass milk bottles(remember those?), each from a dairy in Thomaston, Maine where Scottsdale Mom was raised. I remember each from the 50s-60s. The telephone # for Vinal's Dairy was 300; and for Harjula's Dairy, 1-684. Collector's items.

HR

Last edited:
Lawreston said:
Continued thread creep: In November I brought back from my Scottsdale house two glass milk bottles(remember those?), each from a dairy in Thomaston, Maine where Scottsdale Mom was raised. I remember each from the 50s-60s. The telephone # for Vinal's Dairy was 300; and for Harjula's Dairy, 1-684. Collector's items.

HR

To complete the thread creep progression: Harley (Jerry? I forget which I am supposed to use...), when the tejephones went "live " in Bath, ME, my ancestors had phone number -1-. Something about owning the Bath Iron Works made them prominent, I am told.

Fat lotta good it does me now!

To creep the thread a little more....

The first thing I associate with the word "Skyline" is chili....

I don't think the article was as bad a it could have been. At least the coulumist tried. I read it as the plane broke apart when it put down in the field not in the air.

Here is my guess. 4 adult males going skiing, full fuel, overloaded with baggage ( wonder if they had skiis and boots) Heavy. outside weight and balance envelope.

SCCutler said:
To complete the thread creep progression: Harley (Jerry? I forget which I am supposed to use...), when the tejephones went "live " in Bath, ME, my ancestors had phone number -1-. Something about owning the Bath Iron Works made them prominent, I am told.

Fat lotta good it does me now!

What years did your family own BIW? My grandfather was Chief Engineer - Radar Systems and the principal on the AEGIS program, which was built out of BIW. I just bought a USS Bunker Hill AEGIS destroyer model to build...

Maybe you should move back to Bath and you'd be something again! :)

Cheers,

-Andrew

I don't remember telephone numbers like that. However I recall standing on a big box at the drug store so I could wind up the crank on the side of the phone. I would have to ask Mable to connect me to my house so Mom could come pick me up after the picture show. But I don't remember numbers like Skyline 646. Yes I would be interested to know how much weight they had in that Skylane. They will usually haul a load though. Bob

Back