Plane Crash - Crozet (Charlottesville), VA

Yikes. So I thought that in jets like this as soon as you rotated you pretty much popped the autopilot on. I can t imagine the only gps on board was a 496!?! Is that possible. For reference. We have a 496 for weather and backup gps on our yoke in a 50+ yo 182.

A few drinks, Zyrtec, night, rain, storms, low ceilings, scud running? Pretty poor choices.

Taking off on the wrong runway, no radio communication, no flight plan. How is this even possible?

This is kind of a weird one. Why someone would take such a capable airplane and not use it to its capability is crazy.

Of course, it's probably "drunk logic". You know, "If I don't file IFR or talk to ATC, they'll never hear me slurring my readbacks..."

So I thought that in jets like this as soon as you rotated you pretty much popped the autopilot on.

I suppose some do.
I would if I felt the s hit about to hit the fan. Or when entering a situation for which 'assistance would be helpful' (I use it soon after climb has been initiated on dark night takeoffs).
Otherwise it's to reduce workload, to "ensure precision" (ie altitude busts), and in cruise.

Back