Plane crash a few miles from my house.

Man that older woman and kids in the silver Explorer very fortunate. Looks like the pilot did the best they could do.

Glad that everyone is okay. Again, good to hear positive news once in a while.
Despite all the c*ap reporting, this is a strange story, twins don't just "plummet" like that for no reason.

Interesting to see that much wing damage yet no fire.

No fuel to burn maybe? :dunno:
That would be a likely possible scenario. I'd like to think in that case I'd feather them both (doesn't look as though he did) but hey, considering where he was able to put that plane down safely, can't really second guess the ending of how it was handled. Hopefully someone will post the NTSB findings whenever they become available.

Good news,everyone walked away,pilot did a good job. That kid will have some story to tell as he grows older.

That kid will have some story to tell as he grows older.

Sooner than ya think!

faa-logo.gif

Someone on Red Board said last news reported that pilot had reported out of fuel to the tower. That's a lot of reporting from my Uncle's, cousin's, niece's husband's brother who knows someone in FL.

If it's fuel exhaustion, the pilot is far from a hero.

Someone on Red Board said last news reported that pilot had reported out of fuel to the tower. That's a lot of reporting from my Uncle's, cousin's, niece's husband's brother who knows someone in FL.

If it's fuel exhaustion, the pilot is far from a hero.
Eeeep.
Now the secondary question is: fuel starvation or exhaustion?
Not that either is acceptable.

Do the 402's have the same fuel system as the 404? Kind of hard to starve if so, it's basically on or off for each side.

Do the 402's have the same fuel system as the 404? Kind of hard to starve if so, it's basically on or off for each side.
Easy answer, no.

Longer answer: This is a tip tank version (all 402's were except the C). It has the typical fuel associated with the tip tank twin cessna's. There is 50 gallon mains in each tip and most have 31.5 gallon aux tanks in each wing. This plane may or may not have also had nacelle tanks of 20 per side. At a min it had 4 tanks to manage with a possible 5 or 6. Typically land and take-off on the mains. Burn the mains for about 90 min then you can deplete the aux tanks (with room in the mains for return fuel) and transfer the nacelle's if installed. Then back to mains with cross-feeding as needed for balance.

The first thing I would have done as the engines were burping is switch to a different tank. That is only helpful if the other tanks aren't depleted obviously.

I've never flown a 404.

Easy answer, no.

Longer answer: This is a tip tank version (all 402's were except the C). It has the typical fuel associated with the tip tank twin cessna's. There is 50 gallon mains in each tip and most have 31.5 gallon aux tanks in each wing. This plane may or may not have also had nacelle tanks of 20 per side. At a min it had 4 tanks to manage with a possible 5 or 6. Typically land and take-off on the mains. Burn the mains for about 90 min then you can deplete the aux tanks (with room in the mains for return fuel) and transfer the nacelle's if installed. Then back to mains with cross-feeding as needed for balance.

The first thing I would have done as the engines were burping is switch to a different tank. That is only helpful if the other tanks aren't depleted obviously.

I've never flown a 404.
Ah yes tip tanks, forgot most 402's have em. Thanks.

"Fuel critical, request for landing at the nearest airfield"

Geez!! is math that hard? He could've killed himself, his passengers and people on the ground!

Back